So.. Account Wide Datacrons

SardaTFK

It was what 10+ months ago that Bioware announced that stat+ datacrons would be account wide in a upcoming patch... and then we've heard zip since. Are you ever planning on getting around to implementing this or what? I'm up to my 6th alt who could benefit from having access to the 95% of the datacrons that my main has. Because lets be serious, I'm not going to comb Hoth for a rare spawn, or the many long jump puzzles, or the god awful fleet datacron (that took me and 3 friends over a hour), or riding the glitchy jawa ballon for 45minutes a pop. For 6 alts. I'll go out of my way if one is quick but that basically renders about 80% not worth the time.

Is it really that hard to implement this? Is it balance? Just stagger the things to unlock at the level of the planet, e.g. soon as a alt hit 51 the 2 Makeb datacrons would activate on that character.

• Replies 829
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It was what 10+ months ago that Bioware announced that stat+ datacrons would be account wide in a upcoming patch... and then we've heard zip since. Are you ever planning on getting around to implementing this or what? I'm up to my 6th alt who could benefit from having access to the 95% of the datacrons that my main has. Because lets be serious, I'm not going to comb Hoth for a rare spawn, or the many long jump puzzles, or the god awful fleet datacron (that took me and 3 friends over a hour), or riding the glitchy jawa ballon for 45minutes a pop. For 6 alts. I'll go out of my way if one is quick but that basically renders about 80% not worth the time.

Is it really that hard to implement this? Is it balance? Just stagger the things to unlock at the level of the planet, e.g. soon as a alt hit 51 the 2 Makeb datacrons would activate on that character.

I don't remember them ever promising that. Link to where they announced they would make datacrons legacy-wide?

It was in a weekly Q&A in May or June of 2012 that's the best I can remeber.

It seems you cannot provide the link to backup your claim.

I do not remember then ever promising account wide datacrons, either. I do remember the devs being asked about the possibility of account wide datacrons. I believe that they said they had no plans to institute account wide datacrons, and if you want the stat boost on that alt, you will have to get the datacron on that alt. They may have mentioned possibly making the codex entries account wide, but not the stat boosts.

This is the closest one I could find, but I'm pretty sure there was a follow up on the next month, that I can't find.

http://www.swtor.com/blog/community-qa-april-27th-2012#g

Misiolak: The Datacrons are a nice addition to the game, but getting them for all the characters is simply not fun. Do you plan to include Datacron sharing in the Legacy unlocks?

Daniel: Long term we plan to move many of the game’s reward systems to be Legacy-wide and Datacrons are definitely on the list for consideration.

This is the closest one I could find, but I'm pretty sure there was a follow up on the next month, that I can't find.

http://www.swtor.com/blog/community-qa-april-27th-2012#g

Misiolak: The Datacrons are a nice addition to the game, but getting them for all the characters is simply not fun. Do you plan to include Datacron sharing in the Legacy unlocks?

Daniel: Long term we plan to move many of the game’s reward systems to be Legacy-wide and Datacrons are definitely on the list for consideration.

So, "on the list for consideration" means "we promise you will be getting them"?

Long term. I do not recall any type of time-line EVER being given -- not even the word "soon" or "upcoming."

I'm sure they are STILL considering it. It is probably at the bottom of the list, with all of the other features and such that people have requested, and bugs that need fixing, and content that needs adding.

Just please, do not assume that an interview alluding to the possiblity of something means it is guaranteed or promised.

Long term. I do not recall any type of time-line EVER being given -- not even the word "soon" or "upcoming."

I'm sure they are STILL considering it. It is probably at the bottom of the list, with all of the other features and such that people have requested, and bugs that need fixing, and content that needs adding.

Just please, do not assume that an interview alluding to the possiblity of something means it is guaranteed or promised.

its cute that you think any of things are near the top of the "list"

the Cartel Market, and how to make more money of it, is firmly at the top of whoever is in charge of implementation decisions

its cute that you think any of things are near the top of the "list"

the Cartel Market, and how to make more money of it, is firmly at the top of whoever is in charge of implementation decisions

It's cute that you think you have any level of understanding as to how Software Development works.

I apologize for not being as pessimistic as you. And when 2.2 comes with actual content, I'll find it cute when I can say, "Yep! You're right. They spend absolutely no time on anything other than CM-related stuff."

Sometimes, it is better not to speak. Especially when you add nothing to a conversation.

I don't remember them ever promising that. Link to where they announced they would make datacrons legacy-wide?

Me neither. I call citation needed on this one, I don't think they ever promised this...If anything I remember them saying they were NOT doing this.

Really pessimistic replies. This is the first I've heard of the idea, and my first thought was "wow, this would be an improvement so I don't have to pay for force pushes/yanks to the jawa balloon or +10 all fleet ones," not "ugh, this was never promised, how dare you suggest such a thing?!"

as soon as they figure out a way to monetize it with Cartel Coins rest assured it will be in-game. give them time to figure out how much to charge for it

They gotta make a new cartel pack that will give rarely give you a random datacron that you can unlock for the whole account.

Datacrons and social level are the two things I don't understand why they aren't legacy wide.

Due to the stat boosts involved, I do not think that legacy or account wide datacrons are a good idea. If you want that stat boost on that alt, you should have to take the time and put forth the effort into getting the datacron on that alt.

They gotta make a new cartel pack that will give rarely give you a random datacron that you can unlock for the whole account.

/Agreed. Then they could be so random as to get duplicates. They could also make them indestructible and unable to be sold so they will fill all your bank boxes. This in turn forces you to buy more bank space from the CM....

profit!

Due to the stat boosts involved, I do not think that legacy or account wide datacrons are a good idea. If you want that stat boost on that alt, you should have to take the time and put forth the effort into getting the datacron on that alt.

The legacy companion +50 presence/12 to all secondary stats(surge/alacrity/etc) and +100 presence for human legacy race unlock already make levelling smoother, the +60ish to all stats at low level wouldn't be particularly gamebreaking.

The legacy companion +50 presence/12 to all secondary stats(surge/alacrity/etc) and +100 presence for human legacy race unlock already make levelling smoother, the +60ish to all stats at low level wouldn't be particularly gamebreaking.

Exactly right. The people against it are just butthurt over the fact that they were stupid enough to datacron hunt on 8 different toons and now they want to make sure everyone else has to experience the misery.

It was what 10+ months ago that Bioware announced that stat+ datacrons would be account wide in a upcoming patch... and then we've heard zip since.

No, they have never said that would happen. They have said they would consider datacrons and they've also said they have no current plans to make datacrons account-wide or legacy-wide.

To keep the balance, make the datacrons tied to the class missions (just the class missions, not the planet specific missions). Once you finish your class missions on a specific planet you go to the datacron tab on the legacy window and activate the datacrons for that planet, assuming you already colected it at least once in the regular way on another character. Edited by McRios

This is an excellent point.

Any new character I makes starts with about 600 presence, due to all the legacy unlocks. With a companion out, most all content is faceroll-easy with that amount of presence.

Making the datacrons legacy-wide is a drop in the bucket by comparison.

Someone's mad they spent many hours of their life on the jawa ballon.