George Lucas rumored to be erasing original trilogy (and he should).

loudent

there's an interesting article over a rumor that George Lucas intends to undo the events in the original trilogy and that he should).

The idaa is that some bounty hunters develop time traveling technology and go back and prevent anakin from becoming Darth Vader. I'm assuming this also prevents Palpatine's plans to come to fruition.

Read more here:

How George Lucas May Erase "Star Wars"

Edited by loudent

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

there's an interesting article over a rumor that George Lucas intends to undo the events in the original trilogy and that he should).

The idaa is that some bounty hunters develop time traveling technology and go back and prevent anakin from becoming Darth Vader. I'm assuming this also prevents Palpatine's plans to come to fruition.

Read more here:

How George Lucas May Erase "Star Wars"

Anytime any so called reporter opens with "Now, we hate to perpetuate rumors that may not have any basis in reality, but"

Means they are literally talking out of something other then their mouth. This is journalism at its worst. It is a giant conspiracy theory based on 2 statements and one example that isn't exactly true and taken out of context.

I'm convinced George just hates everyone now and that's his big FU to the world, if it's true.

What is true for sure is the man's such a baby. I'm a writer: when most people who read my stuff dislike it, I look at it, try to figure out what I did wrong, and get better at it. The prequels have been talked about to death. He knows what he did wrong. Yet, rather than learn from them, he stomps his feet like a child and says; "You all just didn't get them! I'm NEVER making another one AGAIN!"

Edited by McVade

George can do whatever he wants and Star Wars fans will shove it down their throat and ask for seconds this includes ruining any form of original canon so he can make way for an almost guaranteed success with a TV series.

Not true. I'm a huge Star Wars fan, and I love the "original" original trilogy before Lucas decided to start fiddling with it. I'm talking 1995 THX VHS release. And I'm also not a fan of the prequels and everything they changed (midichlorians anyone?). So yeah, lets not go using blanket statements about groups of people, it makes you sound like an ignorant arse.

Anytime any so called reporter opens with "Now, we hate to perpetuate rumors that may not have any basis in reality, but"

Means they are literally talking out of something other then their mouth. This is journalism at its worst. It is a giant conspiracy theory based on 2 statements and one example that isn't exactly true and taken out of context.

This guy's right on.

This all stems from 1 rumor, from an admittedly untested source.

Last week, we were talking about a semi official statement that Lucas was leaving the major picture film industry and going on to make little artsy movies for cultural centers.

Hey if Lucas wants to make a reboot... why not?

After all, the huge fun of Star Wars movies are often not for the story but the visual, the settings and etc. At least for me that's what I love of Star Wars. X-wings pew pew pew and lightsabers slashing things while we have those very unique planets and all... Story... I guess some people are in it only for the story?

The only thing that would bother me about any form of time travel/reboot, is that it would cause a limitless amount of people with threads and complaints, like, "What?!? But that's not even scientifically possible!!!" and canon people, "But no where in the canon does it say anyone ever even thought about time travel!"

And of course would make the separation of groups even worse... as it is we have people who are OT, and some are PT, and some are Fanbois who love everything no matter how much it does NOT work together (it's all still awesome!!!)... Now we would have more division...

On that note, why is it that the current fad for rebooting a series HAS to involve time travel?? I blame JJ personally...

And in 10 years...it'll be in 3D! Wooo!

Nah, in 5 years we will have an extended edition, then 5 more we will have an update to technology when Blue Ray goes away, then 5 years more it will be remastered with unseen footage and extra behind the scenes, and maybe 5 more will be in holographic edition where you can take the role of Anakin.... Watch out for the end of Episode II though... sometimes things may seem TOO real

Nah, in 5 years we will have an extended edition, then 5 more we will have an update to technology when Blue Ray goes away, then 5 years more it will be remastered with unseen footage and extra behind the scenes, and maybe 5 more will be in holographic edition where you can take the role of Anakin.... Watch out for the end of Episode II though... sometimes things may seem TOO real

Wait, you mean I get to be a complete jerk to everybody, tell Natalie Portman how I kill babbies when I'm angry so she falls in love with me, then I get to make babbies with her?

Deal the cards. I'm all in.

I think I just threw up in my mouth a little....

See.....this is why I'm so conflicted about being a star wars fan anymore. The older George gets, the more he acts like the whiny Anikin that made me want to punch kittens. I guess after he's made his money he feels okay taking a dump in front his fans and then wiping his butt with the money they have given him over the years.

"This is probably a load of crap, but considering Lucas' other idiot decisions, I wouldn't be remotely surprised."

^This. I am scared. To be honest though even if he did this, I am sure that it would end up with the timeline getting restored in the next episode of Star Wars: Underworld.

All this assumes that these people are SUCCESSFUL in changing the past (and that requires the rumor to be true, which I doubt).

Depending on what time travel theory you subscribe to, there are a few options;

1. Time is immutable. All you do is cause the very thing you were trying to change. The Disney series Gargoyles played with this a lot. Xanatos had a great comment on that, in response to a threat from Goliath about leaving him in the past.

"But you won't, because you didn't. Time travel's funny that way."

Personally, I love this one, because it has the potential for so much grief. You go back to, say, stop a murder, only to find out either that YOU were the murderer, or that your actions somehow prompted said murder. So, if you never went back, this never would have happened ...

2. You can change the past. So, you jump back, stop Anakin's ascention to become Vader, and come back to a world you don't recognize (and potentially don't exist in -- would your parents have met and produced a child, now?). Of course, it means someone else can do the same thing, go back and re-adjust the future. It also presumes things will be better. What if they're worse? What if Anakin becoming Vader, siring Luke and Leia, and twenty years of the Galactic Empire proves better than the alternative?

The Back to the Future movies personify this approach.

3. You can't actually change the past. What you do is create an alternate reality branching off at the point where you "change" history. So you go back, prevent Anakin from becoming Vader, but realize nothing has changed when you return. Well, no, you created a new future (which you could presumably have seen if you stayed) where things might be better (or worse), but YOUR baseline reality remains unchanged -- after all, if you'd changed it, wouldn't it already be better?

Chris Claremont and John Byrne's Days of Future Past in the Uncanny X-Men best demonstrates this version of time travel.

So the very IDEA isn't toxic. It all comes down to (assuming the rumor is even true) how it's handled.

Then again, I really hope George Lucas isn't taking a cue from the Abrams rebooted Star Trek. The movie was great, but Star Wars doesn't have that kind of baggage yet, only six movies to Trek's ten or eleven (if you count the reboot).

With a popular series already on the air, I don't know why he would consider this route.

Take it and run