TFB and SnV HM ops obsolete?

I'm looking to form a progression ops team to tackle the HM content for ops but intend to start with TFB and SnV HM before moving to DF/DP.

Since I don't see any guilds doing them, are they really obsolete and it will be challenging to find people that wants to do them?

They are obsolete by far. Yes, you can get fully decked out in 72 UW by pugging DF/DP SM's. However, TfB / Scum is still giving the loot more reliable. Also you can not trust all pugs for not ninja'ing stuff.

Enragetimers are not that bad besides Styrak. A few days ago I did a guildrun Scum HM with 3 dps. I was the only dps overgeared for it (fully 78 DF sans mh+implants) the other 2 were contentappropiate geared. We had 0 issues with enrages except for when the 2 other dps decided to die at Olok :)

A few extra boons in favor for TfB/Scum are that you gain more ultimate comms in there (not 100% sure on that one, anyone feel free to correct me). Also you can get more exotic elements / MMG's in TfB/Scum.

TL;DR

Everything that TfB/Scum HM gives is in DF/DP SM too but either less or less reliable.

One thing to consider is that the nightmare versions of these ops currently shares a lockout with hard mode, so many progression guilds don't bother with hm runs to save the lockout for nightmare.

This will no longer be the case in 2.7... although it will also fall behind another tier of progression with the release of nightmare DF. Still, I think it will be easier to find groups for hm TFB/SNF with the lockouts finally being separate.

TFB and S&V Hardmodes are obsolete only for players that run them as others do their 16-man-storymodes...

We are still running TFB and S&V hardmodes when a new player needs the "required" equipment for DF/DP HM.

It will need about 2 hours to run TFB and S&V... after this your new player has full 72 hardmode-gear and will be ready to run DF/DP.

You will be only able to do this if you know them very well... otherwise you will not run them just for the same reason nobody runs Denova...

Go get the equipment from TFB and S&V... specially your tanks are required to get their stuff from these hardmodes because they are not able to buy any good stuff for these damn ultimates.

...it will be challenging to find people that wants to do them...

i suppose it depends on the server you are playing on...

and nope... it may be challenging to find people that are able to run them without any bigger problems...

Edited by Vortumnus

For a newly formed progression operation team, your strategy is correct. Start by farming out TFB and S&V HM. Those operations are in no way obsolete when gearing up for progression content. For us, any alt of a guild member that needs to get prepped for progression content gets a full TFB and S&V HM run-through so they are in head-to-toe Underworld set-bonus gear in three hours.

In order to be able to tackle DF/DP HM, you will need your team to be in appropriate set-bonus 72 (i.e. Underworld) armourings. An entire team in 78 commendation gear from vendors is not going to cut it in DF/DP HM. Everyone should have a 72 mainhand as well, whether farmed from the Cartel Warlords in hard mode or purchased from a crafter.

Some Underworld tokens also drop from the last couple bosses of DF/DP SM, so you can shorten the Underworld farming process by clearing both of those with your established team as well.

As our guild has matured we have started breaking off into various progression teams of differing degrees of skill/expereince/gear. We generally start with S&V and TfB HM to get the group working together, work on mechanics, etc. as well as the loot. I think it is an excellent idea to start there because if you ignore the mechanics you will die. I myself am only starting to tank 8 man HMs for various reasons and really enjoyed knocking off the first two bosses last night with many folks I have never played with before (again for various reasons).

My guild usually runs HM TFB or Scum once a week. It drops UW gear which is what's required for HM DP. The 72 set bonus makes a huge difference.

We've also been using HM TFB and Scum to give new members who express an interest in HMs "trial runs" so to speak. With 78 mods you're overgeared for HM TFB and Scum, but if you don't follow the mechanics you'll still die.

So they're useful to see how people perform.