Streaming, the what's,how's and if's.

easeyway

Myself i like watching others gameplay, for hints/tips and i think it's fun:) i'd like too see more people start streaming while they play, so i posted this.

please comment if someone has anything too add or have questions:) i'm sure theres people here that knows plenty and can help :)

How to use:

<-- recommended

"HD" video is by definition any feed with a greater resolution than SD video, which is 720x480 widescreen (640x480 with a 4:3 ratio). This means you could be talking about 1080i, 720p, 1080p, or some other variant.

Then there's the issue of encoding. Compression has more bearing on data rate than resolution. For instance, DVD-quality data rates typically range between 3Mbit/s to 10Mbit/s, and that's only for 480p video. However, full 1080p encoded video can technically fit into a smaller data rate.

For a real-world example, Hulu's 720p video streams at about 2.5MBit/s. (ref: HowStuffWorks). According to this blog, high quality videos on YouTube are approximately 3.0Mbit/s to 3.5Mbit/s. Let's assume 3.0Mbit/s for simplicity. Multiplied by 1000 users gives you about 3Gbit/s of necessary bandwidth, plus overhead. Over the span of 24 hours, that's around 32 terabytes of data.

Having a fiber-optic connection also doesn't give us enough information about the available bandwidth of the connection. This will be limited by the on-site hardware and the provider themselves. You would need to find out the capabilities of both to determine how many bits per second the system is capable of. My guess is they will want to look into a hosting solution, as they have the infrastructure and internet backbone tie-ins to regularly handle this.

Here's an article discussing streaming to give you some ideas about streaming.

re-posted

Edited by easeyway

If youre using xsplit youll have to pay for better than 720p

However my stream is in the sig if anyone is interested in normals / ranked on 2/3 BiS Focus Sent or a Jugg tanks POV

i have used xsplit myself, and im beginning to understand that i shouldn't :) Zeas and another mate of mine has been talking about using "open broadcaster". you should take a look at it :)

i have used xsplit myself, and im beginning to understand that i shouldn't :) Zeas and another mate of mine has been talking about using "open broadcaster". you should take a look at it :)

Figured, after looking at my own recordings, that its not really clear unless you stand still..

I will do some research when I get home

I don't have time atm to read everything because I'm quickly packing before i go on a 10day snowboarding trip.

But a quick question, is this guid WITH xsplit or without?

I tried with and i had too many problems with it.

I would love to stream my games.

I don't have time atm to read everything because I'm quickly packing before i go on a 10day snowboarding trip.

But a quick question, is this guid WITH xsplit or without?

I tried with and i had too many problems with it.

I would love to stream my games.

this isn't a guide on how to set up your streaming software. this is more info you'd want if you are thinking about doing it :) it's great that ur thinking about streaming!

Heres a a couple of guides on how to set up your software.

I was thinking of having a machine dedicated to streaming whatever i am doing in my main computer.

That would be the best way to have a decent stream, in my opinion.

Any suggestions ?

hi there, thanks for posting :) ehm not sure what you specificly want suggestions on but i'll try :p

As long as your main computer is good, that shouldn't really be needed. if you are thinking about buying a second comp i would rather put the money into a new cpu&gpu and maybe some ram. as long as those are heavy it all comes down too your internet.

i've been told and i've read that 5 up is good, but i've also heard some with only 1 up. (sounds weird but idk) i recommend a minimum of 3 :)

hi there, thanks for posting :) ehm not sure what you specificly want suggestions on but i'll try :p

As long as your main computer is good, that shouldn't really be needed. if you are thinking about buying a second comp i would rather put the money into a new cpu&gpu and maybe some ram. as long as those are heavy it all comes down too your internet.

i've been told and i've read that 5 up is good, but i've also heard some with only 1 up. (sounds weird but idk) i recommend a minimum of 3 :)

The thing is that you can't just mash any cpu on any motherboard. Same for gpu, although that is less complicated.

My stream will be LQ for now. Atleast untill i get better upload speed.

Such a shame presets basically don't do fk all. You'd think quad core i5 Ivy bridge overclocked to 4400MHz could support heavy compression. NOT.

The thing is that you can't just mash any cpu on any motherboard. Same for gpu, although that is less complicated.

My stream will be LQ for now. Atleast untill i get better upload speed.

Such a shame presets basically don't do fk all. You'd think quad core i5 Ivy bridge overclocked to 4400MHz could support heavy compression. NOT.

well if the socket you want don't match, buy a new comp for gods sake, np for a man in your position i would think:D

really evo? that cpu should handle it, i'm sure!?

didnt find anything that helped in the info? :/

well if the socket you want don't match, buy a new comp for gods sake, np for a man in your position i would think:D

really evo? that cpu should handle it, i'm sure!?

didnt find anything that helped in the info? :/

There isn't much new people can tell me about streaming or computers really :p

I've pretty much tried everything but a better upload speed by now. I really don't understand why my CPU can't just compress enough to allow HD through a 1mb line :/

If you were indeed able to stream 720p with a 1mb upload (as Zeaz claimed), which I find unlikely, this is what I imagine you would have to use:

- Open Broadcaster Software (considerably less demanding than xsplit, allowing you to push your cpu for more quality). Also recommend using Game Capture as your source.

- A very low x264 CPU Preset in Advanced tab, so low it would kill my cpu (lower is better quality at the cost of more CPU usage)

- Maximum Network Send Buffer size in Advanced tab (should allow you to push your bitrate to almost the maximum of your upload. Use http://www.speedtest.net/ to determine your maximum upload)

- Most likely a low Quality Balance setting in Encoding to prevent blurry picture while moving

- Possibly lower audio quality

Could also help to be located near a Twitch.tv server (EU servers in London, Frankfurt, Amsterdam). You may use JTVPing to determine the best server for you to use: http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=326034 (in OBS change FMS URL in Broadcast Settings to change your server)

Edited by Harva

- A very low x264 CPU Preset in Advanced tab, so low it would kill my cpu (lower is better quality at the cost of more CPU usage)

Tried it with both OBS and Xsplit and neither times it really made a difference. Seeing the CPU i have and the speed it runs at i wonder if it really works for anyone at all.

If you were indeed able to stream 720p with a 1mb upload (as Zeaz claimed), which I find unlikely, this is what I imagine you would have to use:

- Open Broadcaster Software (considerably less demanding than xsplit, allowing you to push your cpu for more quality). Also recommend using Game Capture as your source.

- Maximum Network Send Buffer size in Advanced tab (should allow you to push your bitrate to almost the maximum of your upload. Use http://www.speedtest.net/ to determine your maximum upload)

- Most likely a low Quality Balance setting in Encoding to prevent blurry picture while moving

- Possibly lower audio quality

Could also help to be located near a Twitch.tv server (EU servers in London, Frankfurt, Amsterdam). You may use JTVPing to determine the best server for you to use: http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=326034 (in OBS change FMS URL in Broadcast Settings to change your server)

Thanks for the good post.

well as we've figured, go buy more up!!

Tried out Openbroadcaster, streamed for a good hour results: http://www.twitch.tv/imimba_swtor/b/363235909

No bad experience so far with this, loving it. stable fps ingame and on stream

Thanks for the feed back! how did ur cpu do in OB compared to in Xsplit if you know? did you notice a difference in-game?

im at work with bad internet so cant see streams :/

Thanks for the feed back! how did ur cpu do in OB compared to in Xsplit if you know? did you notice a difference in-game?

im at work with bad internet so cant see streams :/

I think i lost like 5 FPS with OB compared to XSplit, but with those results I say its worth it!