Been away for awhile, have some questions on sage's

--ll--

So the last time I played was when the level cap was 50, which was quite awhile ago and so I've been out of the loop and wanted to know what the current state of sage's/sorc's are at the moment?

Any drastic changes I should know about from the past 2-3 years?

How are the two dps specs performing, pve & pvp wise?

Are we still extremely squishy pvp wise?

Anything that I may have overlooked that would be useful to know? :D

Thanks

So the last time I played was when the level cap was 50, which was quite awhile ago and so I've been out of the loop and wanted to know what the current state of sage's/sorc's are at the moment?

Any drastic changes I should know about from the past 2-3 years?

Builds are simplified now. No more hybrid builds. You are either black or white, no thought process needed. The utilities are widely the same. If you are looking for a game that involves complicated builds and theorycrafting, this ain't it. You will theorycraft your gear now.

TK is the PvE spec due to increased mobility and DPS. Balance is the PvP spec usually (though TK holds its own).

Also, even though dark and light side classes are identical, Sages have more bugged skills and gear sets than their counterpart. Amazing isn't it?

How are the two dps specs performing, pve & pvp wise?

Before the next patch, we are fairly top tier in terms of PvE and PvP. We are a staple healer and a great dpser, 4500+. In PvP we are also very good. Madness is currently the better PvP spec. Next patch your single target DPS is getting nerfed on TK, Balance remains unchanged. Balance was always considered the lesser PvE spec since they made the build simplification. This nerf is pretty left field considering that the forums unanimously cries about Sorcs/Sage Earthquake/Force Storm damage every 2 minutes being OP, but whatever that's a different debate.

Are we still extremely squishy pvp wise?

If you suck, yea. But not as bad as Marauders.

Anything that I may have overlooked that would be useful to know? :D

Save your basic comms for 186 gear at 60. 186 is entry level raid gear. You need like 1400 or something for full set. You get like 300 from Rishi first quest when you get sent there from the class quests.

Edit: forgot to add - read up on stat changes. Basically if you are dpsing you want accuracy to 109.5% then prioritize between crit chance (25%), surge (68-70%), power (or main stat) and alacrity (8-10%).

The biggest stat change was alacrity. It's much more important than before since it now reduces the time on (and speeds up) anything that involves time (animation, cd timers, cast time, DoT ticks, etc).

Edited by Ardusnyc

On top of what the other guy said:

Channeled abilities now use force on a per-tick basis instead of all of it up front - e.g. Forcequake is now 20 force/tick instead of 100 force.

FORCE POTENCY CHANGES

Potency is now 1 charge if used on a channeled ability, instead of only being that for TK Throw. This means if you hit 8 people with every tick of forcequake, for example, and every tick crits, that's 48 crits on a single charge of potency.

Whenever a double tick occurs, the second tick will not consume potency

ROTATION CHANGES

TK Throw is no longer used by telekinetics.

At level 57, TK spec replaces Disturbance with a new ability

At level 57, Balance replaces Mind Crush with a new ability

PvP specific changes

BOLSTER

Gear is now bolstered in all PvP matches instead of just levelling. It also now adds blue level 56 endurance augments to any slots lacking in an augment

After rating 162, bolster stops working properly and you start gimping yourself in PvP. Thankfully, the intro missions to the new storyline give out a free set of rating 162 gear to you, that you can use while getting PvP gear together

Hi,

What do you mean? Could you be more explicit please? I'm currently lvling a TK Sage, which spells are bugged?

Technically, most of the bugs are being fixed by 3.1.2. However the one that isn't being fixed is the slower delay between activating the ability and it doing damage means you can sometimes have abilities consume Force Potency when you don't want them to, such as going Turbulence -> [POTENCY] TK Wave -> Forcequake - you want the TK Wave and Forcequake to consume Potency, but if Turbulence hasnt hit the target by the time you activate Potency, then Potency can be consumed by Turbulence instead of Forcequake. Same problems with Turbulence -> TK Gust -> [POTENCY] TK Wave -> Forcequake (Probably a better order and example), only the charge is consumed by TK Gust instead of Turbulence.

Actually yeah, the second example is better because Thundering Blast also has a travel time, but Lightning Flash (Imperial version of Telekinetic Gust) does not.

Edited by TACeMossie

I see. Couldn't we use that kind of bug in our advantage by casting Turbulence > WM? The Turbulence should hit the target after WM, so could it be 100% crit as if we had done WM > Turbulence?

Sorry for my english, I'm a french player.

I see. Couldn't we use that kind of bug in our advantage by casting Turbulence > WM? The Turbulence should hit the target after WM, so could it be 100% crit as if we had done WM > Turbulence?

Sorry for my english, I'm a french player.

Turbulence behaves strangely. As soon as you fire it, it applies a debuff on the target which is then removed after Turbulence hits the target. I think (but can't be sure) the purpose of that debuff is to act as a check if Weaken Mind has been applied before or after Turbulence was fired. The reason for that check would be to avoid exactly what you suggested. In any case, Turbulence > WM will not get you an autocrit.