Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Please fix Smash

Darkensid
01.24.2012 , 03:42 PM | #1
There is a major flaw with smash, along with many other "instant" abilities within the game. During the animation for smash, if you are stunned, or push/pulled, the ability gets placed on cool down, but no damage is dealt.

I can reproduce this issue with Talz Spotters on Ilum. If you force charge and immediatly try to smash, you get knocked back during the animation. You cause no damage, and the ability is now on cooldown.

This gets very frustrating in pvp since every class has the ability to push/pull in some form. It is not game breaking, but it happens enough to warrant a post.

Ascendant
01.24.2012 , 03:44 PM | #2
The emphasis Bioware places on animations over responsiveness is rather disturbing. If an ability is instant I should not have to wait for an animation for the damage to tick off.
<Proxy Jawas> OG
When you play the game of thrones, you win or you die.

EseKa
01.24.2012 , 04:42 PM | #3
Confirmed, i had this problem several times when knocked back, or pulled away.

Haristas
01.24.2012 , 04:43 PM | #4
Same here, very annoying...

NightWraithes
01.24.2012 , 05:13 PM | #5
Has anyone tested to see if the ability does fire off, but just in whatever area you are when the animation goes off? This happens to me a lot as well, I charge in hit smash and get knocked back mid-animation. I just assumed that the damage got applied wherever the animation finished, and since nothing was around at that location no damage was dealt.

I agree though, the damage should get applied instantly where the ability was used; I also wouldn't mind seeing a little bit larger of a radius on it.

vanderin
01.24.2012 , 05:19 PM | #6
I see that happen alot actually. Force leap into the middle of a pack with the strong targeted...click smash and get knocked back and smash now has a cooldown without putting the debuff on the mobs.

Forney
01.24.2012 , 10:14 PM | #7
I've had that happen to me but I noticed my smash sometimes hits while i'm in mid air as i see the damage numbers pop up. A simple solution is to wait until you are knocked back to force charge or smash. If you keep doing the same thing over and over expecting different results you deserve to fail.

bashnsmash
01.24.2012 , 10:35 PM | #8
I think they are going to fix animations in the next few patches. it's noted in the recent post of Dev Trackers. BTW, I've been meaning to ask since its on topic of smash. Does anyone else get the fake jump before smash executes? Really annoying!

Dasperic
01.25.2012 , 01:28 AM | #9
Yesss! i get that stupid fake baby jump before i go into my smash I thought I was the only one, this is very annoying

Tyrpak
01.25.2012 , 03:44 AM | #10
Yesterday I had 3 occasions, where smash was executed, ability went on cooldown but:

- I was knockbacked in the middle of it, ability fired, but where I landed, far outside of smashes aoe range.
- Wasn't knockbacked or stunned at all, I jumped 1 mob to get rage, ran towards the middle of the pack to reach all mobs with the aoe, mobs where converging on me, fired smash and didn't get any damage on any of the moving mobs. So use smash only if you are standing still, and mobs/players are also standing still.
- I was already in the air for the skill, when my hp ran out, I clicked release, and I did the smash animation with the aoe effect graphics at the med center. And then noticed, that my hp was only so much when I pushed smash in the first place.