Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Open Wound Talent!

Leilei
01.20.2012 , 09:45 AM | #1
So it says it increases the duration of vital shot by 3 seconds. So does it give 1 more tick which increases its damage by 1 tick worth of damage or does it do nothing to the damage and just spreads it out more?

Cuz untalented it does damage over 5 ticks o.o

Edit :

So I used my respec to test it out and HEre are the numbers before and after getting the talent.

Before :
1496 over 15 seconds.

After :
1496 over 18 seconds

So yeah...Reduces DPS in favor of being a little more energy efficient.

Leilei
01.20.2012 , 11:49 AM | #2
Doublepost to push it back up!

So the open wounds talent adds another tick but it doesnt increase damage so you effectively lower your dps by roughly 27%.

If you had the "chance to tick twice talent" Which is a flat 1 tick bonus per vital shot without open wound but it will be a 1.25 tick bonus per vital shot WITH the open wound talent. Even so, its still not worth it even MORE for dirty fighting chars. Prolly worth it for other trees who has energy problems when using vital shot every 15 seconds but I think the other talent that reduces energy cost is better.

Edit :
Its actually better than the energy reduction if you take open wound but thats only if you cant afford to use it every 15 seconds at 18 energy per shot!

Edit 2 :

So like..any of you got any opinions on this? min maxers? dirty fighting ppl?

Zweite
01.20.2012 , 01:43 PM | #3
I think you make some interesting observations. At first I was in search of an alternative to Open Wound after reading your post but found none. So, I would ask where else you would like to put that one point? As your math has worked out, it is a miniscule DPS increase when taking both Open Wound and Mortal Wound. If you are working your way up the DF tree, you need 5 points in that tier and your only other option is 1 point to buff Pistol Whip or a debuff on the end of Flash Grenade.

As for me, I'll take the slight DPS increase and energy conservation for PvE and the three extra seconds of someone not being able to flip a turret/plant a bomb in PvP.

TrashMinky
01.20.2012 , 02:15 PM | #4
I made the same post on the 16th with no replies.
http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=183422

Leilei
01.20.2012 , 03:43 PM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by Zweite View Post
I think you make some interesting observations. At first I was in search of an alternative to Open Wound after reading your post but found none. So, I would ask where else you would like to put that one point? As your math has worked out, it is a miniscule DPS increase when taking both Open Wound and Mortal Wound. If you are working your way up the DF tree, you need 5 points in that tier and your only other option is 1 point to buff Pistol Whip or a debuff on the end of Flash Grenade.

As for me, I'll take the slight DPS increase and energy conservation for PvE and the three extra seconds of someone not being able to flip a turret/plant a bomb in PvP.
Actually, Taking mortal wound alone will give more dps than Open wound + mortal wound. I mustve worded my stuff wrong again...(english is not first language)

Mortal Wound only = Best DPS

Mortal Wound and Open Wound = Best Per shot total damage, Better than OPen wound only DPS

Open Wound only = Worst DPS

Edit :
MEthinks they really made it that way cuz sometimes in PVP you really want the DOT to last longer to stop them from capping something but its really a pretty bad talent overall..Trading damage for it to cost less energy in a single target situation is not really...good.

GymQuirk
01.20.2012 , 06:16 PM | #6
Turn the Tables and Round Two depend on a bleeding target for their effects, so the extra tick extends their window of opportunity.

Whether the alternatives would be better is beyond my analysis abilities.

Leilei
01.20.2012 , 06:24 PM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by GymQuirk View Post
Turn the Tables and Round Two depend on a bleeding target for their effects, so the extra tick extends their window of opportunity.

Whether the alternatives would be better is beyond my analysis abilities.
Flechette round counts as a bleed

Koala-T
01.25.2012 , 08:48 AM | #8
I tested this while setting up my dirty fighting spec on my scoundrel, the talent did not change the damage per tick the difference just isnt showing on the tooltip.

Leilei
01.25.2012 , 09:25 AM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by Koala-T View Post
I tested this while setting up my dirty fighting spec on my scoundrel, the talent did not change the damage per tick the difference just isnt showing on the tooltip.
Did you notice any slower ticks?

Minybird
01.25.2012 , 02:22 PM | #10
Any update on this?

While I do agree that the tooltip damage does not increase, it would seem very silly to make a talent that just extends the length of the DoT without increasing the damage.
Squirrels - LvL 50 Scoundrel - Server: Iron Citadel - Guild: Sigil

"Black holes are where God divided by zero." - Steven Wright
3 out of 2 people have difficulties with fractions.