Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Bioware wants to kill cartel market weapon sales???

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Crew Skills
Bioware wants to kill cartel market weapon sales???

Elsador
10.22.2015 , 11:37 AM | #1
Yes, that's a somewhat provocative title intended to get mod attention and the matter kicked upstairs.
Here's the problem: the cartel market sells weapon shells. Spend real money, can't use it at max level until/unless you raid and get lucky enough for a drop... OR until somebody else does and crafts it instead of using it.

Want to use cathar war sword at 65? Tough. Want to use your collapsible bowcaster? No dice. Gotta use a fully unmoddable crafted ugly pos. Screw your real money purchases, amirite?

Fix this. It's either an indefensible choice or an oversight. FIX THIS.

sumquy
10.22.2015 , 11:57 AM | #2
Quote: Originally Posted by Elsador View Post
Yes, that's a somewhat provocative title intended to get mod attention and the matter kicked upstairs.
somebody has in inflated sense of self worth.

Here's the problem: the cartel market sells weapon shells. Spend real money, can't use it at max level until/unless you raid and get lucky enough for a drop... OR until somebody else does and crafts it instead of using it.

Want to use cathar war sword at 65? Tough. Want to use your collapsible bowcaster? No dice. Gotta use a fully unmoddable crafted ugly pos. Screw your real money purchases, amirite?
this makes no sense. why, exactly, can't i use my cathar war sword (that i'm using right now as a 65)?
...how i learned to love the dot and other short stories.

woboashkeinu
10.22.2015 , 12:00 PM | #3
apparently to use them at 65 you're either supposed to buy the 42/43 mods that you can only make if you raid, therefor limited supply therefor not cheap, buy SoR 36 mods from crafters and let the bolster system do its work, or buy 40 green mods from com vendors and let the bolster system do its work.

good news though: crafters can train blue and purple augment 40s and mk-8 augment kits, so you'll be reasonably covered there.

Elsador
10.22.2015 , 12:13 PM | #4
The point is this: there are no new hilts or barrels. You cannot purchase or craft ENTRY LEVEL hilts or barrels to go in the moddable weapons we paid for on the cartel market. You can do the following: pvp to get their barrel/hilt, use a crafted but unmoddable weapon (therefore NOT using the weapon you purchased with real money), or "depend on bolster".

If the goal is to make us just "depend on bolster"... why have crafting at all?

I see two possible fixes. The first is to just give us blue quality 208 schematics for hilts and weapons- even if they aren't able to be reverse engineered. The second is to (finally) put weapons on the outfit designer.

The answer shouldn't be "bolster will fix it." That depends too much on the coding being right (and anyone who has dealt with warzone bolster bugs will laugh there).

Elsador
10.22.2015 , 12:23 PM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by sumquy View Post
somebody has in inflated sense of self worth.
No. If I had an inflated sense of self worth, I'd do things like this:
1. Post assuming devs read my threads without the provocative titles.
2. Question whether other posters have an inflated sense of self worth.

sumquy
10.22.2015 , 12:27 PM | #6
The point is this: there are no new hilts or barrels. You cannot purchase or craft ENTRY LEVEL hilts or barrels to go in the moddable weapons we paid for on the cartel market. You can do the following: pvp to get their barrel/hilt, use a crafted but unmoddable weapon (therefore NOT using the weapon you purchased with real money), or "depend on bolster".
you're upset that you can't get a vendor schematic for the gear that drops in sm ops? is that it? but why? it's not like that schematic is not available. your post makes it sound like they're not in the game or something, you just have to do a little work to get it. is that why you're so worked up about it?

Elsador
10.22.2015 , 12:30 PM | #7
No, I'm upset that there are no schematics for ENTERING the raids, like there have been at every other point in the game.

In RISE, there were craftable 156 barrels and hilts. Story mode dropped 162.
In SoR, there were craftable 178 and 186 barrels and hilts. Story mode dropped 192.
In KOTFE, there are NO craftable barrels or hilts past the prior tier. There ARE craftable unnmoddable weapons. But if you use those, you obviously can't use the purchased cathar war sword.

sumquy
10.22.2015 , 12:47 PM | #8
i could be wrong, but i'm pretty sure that is the same across all the crafting skills. there are no implant, relic, earpiece, etc. schematics above the base level either, outside of ops re. why should hilts/barrels be any different? but even if their are better schematics for those, the main hand is the big number generator. i'm okay with those being harder to get. like having to earn them in ops or paying a rediculous on the gtn.

Khevar
10.22.2015 , 01:16 PM | #9
No, I'm upset that there are no schematics for ENTERING the raids, like there have been at every other point in the game.
I haven't yet tried SM ops, but apparently they're supposed to be bolstered.

I guess the question is, if there were any craftable grade 40 barrels in 4.0, would they be better than a bolstered grade 36 barrel?

NeuroticCupcake
10.22.2015 , 01:19 PM | #10
Oh noes, you may have to occasionally use non-adaptive weapons and armors for a short while as you level/gear up. The horror! The angst! The misery! The unexpectedness! Oh wait, definitely not that last one.

Out of curiosity, why do you think they have random gear drops and mission rewards? Just for decoration?