Possible mine bug?

BobBudJones

Several times it seems like I destroy a seeker mine that is right in front of me, then it hits me anyway. This was pretty much confirmed yesterday when I saw one, shot it, saw the message "You destroyed so-and-so's seeker mine," then I see the thing flying straight at me anyway, and it kills me. Combat log verified that I was killed by said seeker mine.

I suppose there is a slight chance that another mine from the same player hit me at the exact same moment, but that seems pretty remote. And even in that case there was the graphical bug of the mine flying at me after I blew it up.

Anyone else seen this?

Once a seeker mine is tracking you (you can hear the missile launch warning) it doesn't matter if you destroy the stationary object or not. It will still hit you unless you engine maneuver / Distortion Field missile break it. Barring a missile break of some kind, seeker mines need to be killed outside of their activation range or before the activation delay finishes to avoid taking damage. Edited by TrinityLyre

I'm assuming that seeker mines mechanically function more akin to a missle drone: you aren't being hit by the mine, the mine is shooting a projectile at you. Thus destroying the mine itself after it's fired doesn't prevent a hit. Edited by Bleeters

So why would the game allow to to destroy it and receive a message that you destroyed it when really you can't do such a thing?

Either way it's weird and misleading.

There's probably also a slight degree of latency between the mine disarming and the projectile firing. I'm not sure there's much they can do about it beyond maybe removing the kill notice- But you'd still be shooting at the mine while it was in flight at you, so that isn't much help beyond clarifying that no, you did not actually destroy it.

Several times it seems like I destroy a seeker mine that is right in front of me, then it hits me anyway. This was pretty much confirmed yesterday when I saw one, shot it, saw the message "You destroyed so-and-so's seeker mine," then I see the thing flying straight at me anyway, and it kills me. Combat log verified that I was killed by said seeker mine.

I suppose there is a slight chance that another mine from the same player hit me at the exact same moment, but that seems pretty remote. And even in that case there was the graphical bug of the mine flying at me after I blew it up.

Anyone else seen this?

Crazy question, but was there a 2nd mine? And can you be certain that there was not? Your missile alarm was going off already...

I run burst lasers (with a close range weapon this happens a lot) on my scout and I can confirm that this does happen. You get close enough to trigger the mine then you kill it before it hits you but you still get damaged by it. I would assume it is a visual bug that allows you to kill a mine after it has started seeking and the intention is that once it's locked on you you need a missile break ability to dodge it. Edited by okiobe