Feedback on Umbara 242 gear rating restriction

Dear Devs,

I have to say for the past days I have been quing for the Umbara Master Mode FPS and you could really notice that you dont just get any kind of people into the FPS. Sure, its hard to say if this is because of the gear restriction, or if casuals are afraid of Master mode etc, but in general it seems to be heading the right way. The people which I got in the FPS werent always the best but we managed to finish every run (sooner or later). In one case we had to kick one dps in end and used companion (oneshoting the boss) but still, from 11 runs on such a hard FPS its a good statistic.

As mentioned before Im not sure if its all thanks to the rating requirement but as a person who was doing the 25x for all Master Mode flashpoints over the course of 2 months I have to say Im getting grouped with a lot more competent players. They listen, wait, discuss. Sure, gear rating is not a guarantee for a good player, but getting the gear takes time and effort, its definitely better than letting anyone que and "try".

Besides its a great tool for Ranked PVP as you can see right away the rating of the person and dont have to check all the gear pieces when checking who you are grouped with. So in general it was a good move!

Thank you!

Confirmed!

When I consider that for the old flashpoints we were getting still grouped up with level 50-69 ppl the Umbara Master mode comes partially as a blessing. Getting level 70s with "at least" 242 rating improves the chances of succesffuly finishing the Flashpoints, which in the end benefits all.

Sure, as it was said gear does not guarantee that the player knows what he is doing, but still, you get gear by doing stuff and there is a far higher chance that a geared person already knows his class and FPS mechanics.

WoW has the same for their dungeons, so I am surprised that swtor took so long to come with this. Mainly when we consider how bad the players are in the game. Sure, there many good players that know what they are doing but the game got an influx of new players that yet have to learn how to play because the leveling is just too easy and too fast for the to properly learn their class.

When they then go into an Flashpoint, not to mention operations, they are suddenly suprised by how hard the game is. Giving a gear rating requirement is a signt that "this is a bit more difficult".

Dear Devs,

I have to say for the past days I have been quing for the Umbara Master Mode FPS and you could really notice that you dont just get any kind of people into the FPS. Sure, its hard to say if this is because of the gear restriction, or if casuals are afraid of Master mode etc, but in general it seems to be heading the right way. The people which I got in the FPS werent always the best but we managed to finish every run (sooner or later). In one case we had to kick one dps in end and used companion (oneshoting the boss) but still, from 11 runs on such a hard FPS its a good statistic.

As mentioned before Im not sure if its all thanks to the rating requirement but as a person who was doing the 25x for all Master Mode flashpoints over the course of 2 months I have to say Im getting grouped with a lot more competent players. They listen, wait, discuss. Sure, gear rating is not a guarantee for a good player, but getting the gear takes time and effort, its definitely better than letting anyone que and "try".

Besides its a great tool for Ranked PVP as you can see right away the rating of the person and dont have to check all the gear pieces when checking who you are grouped with. So in general it was a good move!

Thank you!

Well its definitely better than what we had before. When you picked up the weekly you could see in the description the "recommended gear rating" that was it!!

Only based on this could the people tell if the content is hard or not, but ofc many ignored it or didnt even notice. Sure a good player can beat HMs with much less gear, but for some people they struggle in full 248! The filter should have been implemented long time ago!

Personally i thought the gear rating of Master Mode Flashpoints should have been 230 gear. A Veteran op has a recommended level of gear of 242 by the system and there is no way that a FP should be more difficult then an OP. MM flashpoints should be a building block for SM ops (some of these r nerfed too much). From what i hav seen in the new flashpoint is that the heals check is over tuned and that constant aggro drops by the boss r really the main cause of this. There is no real tank check other then constantly fighting for aggro and no real dps check. IMO if u r gonna make a limiter based on gear then these checks of the other classes should be there as well.

Good idea.

Forgetting MM for a second even Vet/HM was an awakening and a half for me and I was in 230 gear in a 4 man group. Get carried away in one of those and it's a salty run back for you.

So I imagine MM is an even bigger spanking waiting for Joe Storymode.

Good idea.

Forgetting MM for a second even Vet/HM was an awakening and a half for me and I was in 230 gear in a 4 man group. Get carried away in one of those and it's a salty run back for you.

So I imagine MM is an even bigger spanking waiting for Joe Storymode.

Yup MM and especially the new Umbara FPS in MM is quite the challange. Just like the SoR MM FPS, they are definitely a bit harder than the old ones and should be only for level 70s with this gear rating requirement applied.

I *love* the 242 gear requirement!

I take off my chest piece before we queue, we never get Umbara, and still get the daily bonus! Love it! Brilliant idea! :D

I wouldn't get five meters before the lag boss would kill me anyway, and I do have a decent rig and everything switched to lowest settings... :rolleyes:

I *love* the 242 gear requirement!

I take off my chest piece before we queue, we never get Umbara, and still get the daily bonus! Love it! Brilliant idea! :D

I wouldn't get five meters before the lag boss would kill me anyway, and I do have a decent rig and everything switched to lowest settings... :rolleyes:

You are a man among men! I'm passing that information along to my friends! Remove gear until you're under 242! Huzzah!

I wonder if this could be implemented retrospectively, I mean it would sort out level 15's getting blood hunt if there was some sort of gear restriction possibly around the 170-180 range since someone doing forged alliances and rishi/yavin would be getting 178 gear and that is if the player only gears through story no command tokens or command crates.

I know there was a lot of resistance when this was announced, maybe it works for the best.

Edited by Jedi_riches

they should bring, lik ein the past, tier 1 and tier 2, for hardest/easiest fp, and reward accordingly. :)

Yeah I was also against this system of boosted FPS. Its mainly confusing for new players. As I said before imagine you are a new player, playing a Sentinel and then at level 20 for example you get the Assault on Tython FPS which totaly confuses you from the story point of view since you just got off Tython and now you see it destroyed, then go back during class story when its still OK.

But not only that, the level brackets where good and so was the tank/healer combination. The level 55 Hardmode FPS back then was also great and they were worth doing for the rewards.

• 4 months later...

Again I have the same experience with Copero.

Seems that due to the rating requirement I only get ppl that really have what it takes to finish the Flashpoint, even kill the bonus boss. So far I was able to finish every single one of the dozen attempts. Sure wipes where there, but ppl did listen to instructions and we always killed bonus boss too, which is a harder one on mechanics.

So for the future, I would go with gear rating requirement, even apply for old Master modes.

Again I have the same experience with Copero.

Seems that due to the rating requirement I only get ppl that really have what it takes to finish the Flashpoint, even kill the bonus boss. So far I was able to finish every single one of the dozen attempts. Sure wipes where there, but ppl did listen to instructions and we always killed bonus boss too, which is a harder one on mechanics.

So for the future, I would go with gear rating requirement, even apply for old Master modes.

One thing I can't wrap my brain around is that Copero don't seem to have enrage timers and that means having a gear requirement is pointless. However I have to state that I didn't did Copero in weeks now, maybe months, so if the devs sneaked in some enrage timers this post can be ignored.

One thing I can't wrap my brain around is that Copero don't seem to have enrage timers and that means having a gear requirement is pointless. However I have to state that I didn't did Copero in weeks now, maybe months, so if the devs sneaked in some enrage timers this post can be ignored.

So far I have not seen any boss enrage. However, 2nd boss does have a sort of enrage in the end since you get all these adds, which are impossible to take care off and the boss using the HUGE aoe attack. In this phase you just have to burn the boss and have the tank gather the adds and the healer spam heal the tank. Its a very hard last phase due to the adds being ranged and melee and spread apart.

However, for other bosses its pretty much tank and spank. 1st boss is most effective to burn him down and ignore the adds, so enrage does not even come in mind. Bonus boss you also have an 100% dps uptime since I (as tank) always did the interrupts alone so healer just healed (maybe offdps). I also kill the adds, i pull the one to the 2 adds and push all 3 off the platform. This way the dps just dps the boss, nothing else, so boss dies pretty fast.

Last boss is same, its basically 100% dps uptime. The only thing I can imagine is if people bother with the adds on 2nd boss, but that still doesn't matter cause of the chaotic last phase. I dont see the gear rating requirement as really a need for gear, but rather it gets you "better players" and it really seems to work. Also, those that have the gear and que for it and get it, but know they wont make it leave at start :)

Edited by merovejec

The mechanics and boss fights I get, no question there. As for 2nd boss burn phase, that's what def cds are for, gear rating has nothing to do with it and we both know very well if someone knows their class then gear is not a make or break. A good player can perform well in lower rating gear as well, and most of all there is no huge difference between gear ratings.

As for gear ---> better players. No such thing, since the exciting RNG boxes.

So yeah, why is there a minimum gear rating if a) no enrage timer b) there is nothing in the flashpoint that is related to gear c) everyone can grind out good gear, but still lack the skills to perform well.

The funny thing is that for Umbara, I sort of get it, at least there are enrage timers. On the other hand I'm a bit sad because Copero in my opinion is an exceptionally great flashpoint.

As for gear ---> better players. No such thing, since the exciting RNG boxes.

Yes I know this doesnt guarantee you good players, but its like a fictional wall for the players, they see "gear restriction" and think "oh, this must be very hard, I rather not que" so in this way you get players that really believe in their capabilities. Its the thinking of the people, as for normal FPS they que for Master modes cause they dont care about how hard it is, but for Umbara and Copero, they are afraid :)

On the other hand I'm a bit sad because Copero in my opinion is an exceptionally great flashpoint.

Yes, the bosses are really fun for the tank who gets most of the action on 3 of the 4 bosses. 1st you need to keep aggro of a zilion adds that spawn as dps just focus boss. 2nd you need to gather the adds each time and in last phase get everything off the dps so they can burn boss. Bonus boss is by far the most fun with me having to interrupt the droid, push off the 3 adds and then place the big red circles. Its great!!

• 2 weeks later...
They should add the gear rating restriction to every Master Mode group content, except if you are already in a fully formed group.

I don't like Umbara and Copera, so i'll de-gear for those.

That would be a bit overdone as you have to consider you have bolster in Master mode FPS. There have been several videos of people going in naked and still beating for example Blood Hunt Master mode. So for the old level 50 FPS there really shouldn't be a gear requirement.

That would be a bit overdone as you have to consider you have bolster in Master mode FPS. There have been several videos of people going in naked and still beating for example Blood Hunt Master mode. So for the old level 50 FPS there really shouldn't be a gear requirement.

And if the player-base was representative of the people in that video, there would be no need for a gear rating restriction, now would there?

I would wager that 100% of PUGs that do not have experienced players fail Blood Hunt Master Mode. The gear rating is not an indication of Skill but it suggests that, if you are not a dimwit, you can, with instructions, pull your weight in the specific content.

The gear, also, allows for you to be under-skilled without being too much of a liability to your team. Unless you are spamming basic attacks, you will contribute enough DPS to meet the DPS check

• 2 weeks later...

i dont know where u getting those ppl that stay and doing those umbara and chiss FPs in master mode

i just enter in one, and the tank and the dps left after we enter.

yes the lag in umbara is making a bit the fp harder but...

many ppl leave even after 1 wipe

seriously where do u find those ppl?

only umbara and chiss mmfps left for me and the rishi bonus,

im queing for weeks and most of the times that happend,

seriously looking ppl for those to run them and done all their achives in malgus server rep side.

Edited by Kissakias