Remember WoW's World PvP?

jtype_sw

Remember South Shore and Tarren Mill?

Remember Isle of Quel'Danas?

Remember Booty Bay?

Some of the best times I've had... /nostalgia

R.I.P. early days of WoW *sniffles

I can just hope that the SWTOR devs can eventually develop World PvP that is half as fun as those moments....

Edited by jtype_sw

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Blizzard's WoW was a great persistant world. TOR is pretty, but there's no sense of belonging in this world. Every cave on any planet is a prefabricated design. There are taxis everywhere and the planets all have topographies that give the illusion of open world without the freedom of exploration. You zone from planet to planet and lose the sense of space inbetween (no pun intended).

In WoW, people would spend HOURS running to places they shouldn't go, swimming in the oceans to find little islands or things on the ocean floor. You could sneak into the enemy's capitals, hang out at the harbor, etc.

The fleets in TOR are identical between republic and imperial. The worlds are beautiful but lack that sense of awe. BW has style, but they failed to grasp the elements of a persistent world which make players nostalgic.

I'm not saying everyone loved WoW or any other MMO, but nothing has compared to my experiences with some of these worlds. People STILL talk about the barrens and stranglethorn vale. People STILL try to invade capital cities with no real effect other than bragging rights. I'll never go back to Hutta or Tython or anywhere else. There's no reason, it's just a big zone.

Blizzard's WoW was a great persistant world. TOR is pretty, but there's no sense of belonging in this world. Every cave on any planet is a prefabricated design. There are taxis everywhere and the planets all have topographies that give the illusion of open world without the freedom of exploration. You zone from planet to planet and lose the sense of space inbetween (no pun intended).

In WoW, people would spend HOURS running to places they shouldn't go, swimming in the oceans to find little islands or things on the ocean floor. You could sneak into the enemy's capitals, hang out at the harbor, etc.

The fleets in TOR are identical between republic and imperial. The worlds are beautiful but lack that sense of awe. BW has style, but they failed to grasp the elements of a persistent world which make players nostalgic.

I'm not saying everyone loved WoW or any other MMO, but nothing has compared to my experiences with some of these worlds. People STILL talk about the barrens and stranglethorn vale. People STILL try to invade capital cities with no real effect other than bragging rights. I'll never go back to Hutta or Tython or anywhere else. There's no reason, it's just a big zone.

Well stated sir, as I completely agree. SWTOR is fun, but I'm afraid I might return for Mists.... >_>

Edited by jtype_sw

I was there as well and all i remember was a laggy ****fest of zerging, ranged classes spamming **** at eachother while the melee stood around and watched.

Nostalgia makes things better than they were.

So basically a verdant version of Ilum?

Yeah I was there, it got better, but by the time everything was stabilized, the GM grind began, and that ended that.

Ohhhhhhh man, I remember it, why aint there anything out there like that. It was like 2006 and games now (2012) can even come up with things like that. But the WoW devs said the new wow expansion MoP will be about World PvP when they were at blizzcon.

Ohhhhhhh man, I remember it, why aint there anything out there like that. It was like 2006 and games now (2012) can even come up with things like that. But the WoW devs said the new wow expansion MoP will be about World PvP when they were at blizzcon.

Yup, the WoW Devs emphasized on bringing World PvP back to its former Vanilla glory.

I sure hope this is true. We can only wait and see....

Going from WoW to SWTOR had same feeling to me as SWG to WoW. One thing is certain the idea of creating successful WoW clones dies w/SWTOR.

Remember Booty Bay?

I can just hope that the SWTOR devs can eventually develop World PvP that is half as fun as those moments....

ilum =/= world pvp

if you miss those world pvp's you mentioned, read and support my thread

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?p=2864845

p.s. world pvp cannot be "developed". players are the ones that make it happen. best thing devs can do is to encourage and provide incentives.

Edited by Mirialol

I was there as well and all i remember was a laggy ****fest of zerging, ranged classes spamming **** at eachother while the melee stood around and watched.

Nostalgia makes things better than they were.

This

World PvP is terrible.

People need to get over themselves.

DoaC, SWG, EvE, UO all had way better PvP than WoW ever had or ever will have and TOR...one word LOLUM!

Remember before WoW ruined MMOs with carebare instant gratification themeparks?

SWTOR sucks putridly but WoW while better than SWTOR couldn't shake a stick at EvE, SWG, or DaoC...those were the days!

You posted the same thing twice, one on each page...

want attention? Here's a cookie, now go be an idiot and spam /1 with everyone else

As for the discussion of the thread. World PvP can be developed, by introducing planet(s) with defend-able/seize-able bases.

We need meaningful PvP.

As of right now, our actions in world PvP mean nothing. Cool. What a big impact I make.

SWTOR sucks putridly but WoW while better than SWTOR couldn't shake a stick at EvE, SWG, or DaoC...those were the days!

The first mmo I played was Runescape, in the winter of '01 I remember when wow came out asking my cousin how much of your stuff you kept when you died in world pvp and he was like "All of it what the heck are you talking about"<PVP problem in a nutshell

Tarren Mill was a trenchwarfare like WW1 battles in RL. no one ever gained nor lost anything and it was just a farm fest.

At first the idea was to get warriors to charge the oponents lines and fearbomb them and any one running towards the friendly lines got killed.

then they nerfed warriors to smaller farbomb range and capped the max people affected.

any tactic that was used to thin out the herd was nerfed and eventually it became range classes duking it out while everyone else just healed them and watched.

people cried when they died that people did not heal them. how do you heal 3 raid groups of people often many just solo not part of any raid group.just came to the show.

this started the tears about having a phased/instanced PvP where smaller groups can have a purpose...

the old system was removed and the BGs took place.

there is still World PvP in wow just play on any PvP server and you will see however MASS battles no longer happen unless someone is running an event to invade the others capital just for the achieves or just for fun.

SWTOR lacks continuity/fluidity. you cant even check out the maps of zones unless you are in the zone. sure you can see the main map of nar shadaa but you cant just click and see each sector..its like living in a glass box. you sure SEE alot but are not allowed to touch it.

one issue SWTOR has massive maps within maps on each planet. many are separated with loading screen/lifts or taxi only service. each map side quests easily outpace your leveling for that planet and if you try to do all the side quests you end up green/grey very soon especially if you mix PvP WZ and space combat in your leveling.

with the vast maps and limited things to do per planet (endgame zones excluded) you dont see a big concentration of people per zone let alone go out of your way to harass oponents in open PvP.

the closes i got was flagging myself for PvP while questing and getting hammered by a level 50 commando on tatoine near the mandalorian camp. it was no contest as i just dinged 29 but hey it was open world pvp at least. i asked in general if anyone was keen to help kill him and not many were interedted. most people suggested to deflag for PvP and carry on questing its not worth anyones time wasting a shuttle beacon to get to me or taxi when thy can go do pvp in warzones where you get Bolstered and actually put up a fight against 50s..(thgis was pre-separation of the 50s from the rest of the bracket)

Remember Booty Bay?

I feel bad for you if you think that SS/TM was good PVP.

Instant gratification, are you serious??

I have around 10 days played and haven't hit BM yet. 240 hours is a hell of a lot of time IMO.

I want a fun game to chill in after a long days work, not a black hole of a timesink to fill a non-existant social life :)

SWTOR fits my requirements pretty damn well.

Remember Books? Before the time of required visual stimulus and twitchy controls?

Video Games suck putridly but MMOs while better than video games couldn't shake a stick to Crime & Punishment, Lord of the Flies, or Odsseus... those were the days!

Stranglethorn Vale was the best world PvP area Blizzard has made. You had mid 30s to 60s all coming through the area for various reasons. That was key - high traffic, various level ranges, and reasons to be there.

That's the recipe for world pvp success. Bioware keeps both sides tidily sequestered on their own sides of each planet, so they'll never meet.

We wouldn't want someone to get ganked, after all.

Edited by EternalFinality

Stranglethorn Vale was the best world PvP area Blizzard has made. You had mid 30s to 60s all coming through the area for various reasons. That was key - high traffic, various level ranges, and reasons to be there.

That's the recipe for world pvp success. Bioware keeps both sides tidily sequestered on their own sides of each planet, so they'll never meet.

We wouldn't want someone to get ganked, after all.

If they were in the same area, you'd have their fleets literally blowing up any ships coming in while engaging in orbital warfare.

You'd never have a chance to even land on the planet.