How do crafting amplifiers work?

Evelyn_Phoenix

If I make a set of crafting-amplified gear, do I need to be wearing that set when I tell my companion to craft, during their craft time, and/or at the end of their craft time? Same for crew skill quests.

Thanks.

If you mean the critical crafting, I'm not sure. No one from the Dev team has ever confirmed what +90 to (blank) Critical actually translates to, percentage-wise. Like, does it take a 40% critical chance to 40.9%? 49%? I don't have hard numbers but I've been crafting since the start of 6.0 and I can say the effect is likely very small. If I'm crafting a full run of 40 assembly components, for example, I routinely get stacks/quantities in the mid 50s regardless of whether I'm wearing my critical suit or not. So, I don't know that they work at all, let alone whether you have to be wearing the suit at the time you send your companions off to craft, or just before the time is up. Its a great question, but in order to figure it out we'd need to know what the bonus actually is doing to the base crit chance.

The efficiency amplifiers ... I'll be honest, I don't know if they will shorten the mission or crafting time dynamically ... as in, if you equip an efficiency suit while the mission is in progress, will the time remaining auto-update. Hopefully someone has noticed and can fill in the details. Frankly, the efficiency amplifiers don't seem as compelling, since a critical result is far more valuable to me than getting done a handful of seconds earlier. Still, that assumes that the critical amps are working at all, or that the devs intend for them to be working at some point if they aren't working now. (I prefer to be optimistic and hope that they at least intend for the crit amps to work.) The rate limiting step for crafting isn't the time for the tasks anyway ... its your resources, and the blasted stupid nested assembly component nonsense that came with 6.0. I think these are largely a waste, so I re-roll them, and therefore have never noticed if the time to task completion increases when you take them off.

Success amps ... I will say anecdotally that it seems they work. I seem to get a lot less failures on my toon with high successful UT, for example, compared to one that doesn't have a lot of successful UT. I think these would be more useful if by pushing failures off the result table they made critical outcomes (with Legendary Embers) more likely, but even as they are, I'd rather have a result than get more Jawa scrap. Since the devs listened to crazy people and removed Legendary Embers as harvest outcomes, AND reduced their return from missions, I'm looking for anything that will increase my stock of those. In any event, my opinion is that Success amps are better for the mission-type crew skills (Diplomacy, UT, Investigation, Slicing) than for the gathering crew skills (Arch, Bio, Scav) since you can always get those out in the world with 100% success.

So, I have a separate suit for critical, and then in my usual combat gear I have successful (blank) for whatever mission crew skills that toon has. If that toon does not have any mission skills or just has biochem to be able to use reusable consumables, then I go with an amp that directly affects my wallet. Something like, Durable Equipment, Repair Cost, Frequent Flyer. Stim Longevity if I'm on a non-biochem crafter that can't use reusable consumables. For shells (which are the ones that could have Efficiency amps), I focus on either Resourceful (if the toon can gather) or Mission Rewards ... again, these affect my wallet, and Efficiency amps are useless to me.

Crafting amps are a mixed bag.

Crit amps do nothing or so little as to fall within normal variance.

Success amps reduce the chance of failing a mission by the amount stated (e.g. +1 success reduces a 5% failure chance to 4%).

A set of +success will cover the risk of green / grey missions failing, and reduce yellow and orange failure rates, but not to zero so will still be possible to fail these missions.

Efficiency amps reduce time required to complete missions or craft items, greater effects at first and on longer time frames, though with a full set it is possible to shave minutes off some of the longer missions and crafted items.

For maximum crit chance use rank 50 comps, enable the legacy of crafting perks (for crafting), and be sure you are in a guild with the Fortune set along with specific crafting perks (e.g. Professional Training).

Edited by DawnAskham

• 4 weeks later...
From legacy you can get 3% increase time efficience but how increase critical (i know, bonus from guild).

The amplifiers on mods and some gear shells that say "+10 critical <crew skill>"

Anecdotally, they seem to work for me. I have a full set for cybertech and routinely get 60+ assembly components when I queue up 40.

Where my top 8 companions vary between level 50 and 20 - I'll get 60+ wearing the full set and 45-55 not wearing it, after queueing 5*8=40

Edited by StockThorax

The amplifiers on mods and some gear shells that say "+10 critical <crew skill>"

Anecdotally, they seem to work for me. I have a full set for cybertech and routinely get 60+ assembly components when I queue up 40.

Where my top 8 companions vary between level 50 and 20 - I'll get 60+ wearing the full set and 45-55 not wearing it, after queueing 5*8=40

This report seems to me to be more a function of the influence ranks of your companions, than evidence the amplifiers working. All of my crafters have at least 8 companions at influence rank 50, and they get stack sizes in the mid 50s regardless of whether I am wearing the suit. I've rarely gotten 60 or more, it does happen and I'm grateful when it does, but certainly not in any predictable fashion, and apparently not related to wearing a crafting suit. However, given my testing on presence amplifiers yesterday, if the amps are working, it is possible that there is some sort of cap on the effects, such that the amplifiers help when you have low influence rank companions, but not if they're all 50.