Developer Update: Warzone Arenas

CourtneyWoods

• Replies 543
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

lol u obviously dont pvp... I just love sitting at 3400 rwz rating and being perma benched because my class sucks so much.

You've said that in 3 (and counting) threads so far, what's your point? And as someone else pointed out in another thread, all tanks have a different "feel". I've played with and against plenty PT tanks, and even dueled a few. You should switch from your dps stance and try it for yourself...

Edited by MasterFeign

You can only play Ranked as a premade 4-player team or a 1 person solo grouped with and going against other solo players. The two do not mix.

Okay....I read everything posted so far....& I suppose I didn't pose an actual question. My question is this, as a healer solo Qing will I ever get the chance to play 8v8 when this patch goes live? As you might well know NO ONE plays heals, & as a result we healers are in short supply. Does this mean the GF is always going to force me into 4v4 in order to balance teams.....not my idea of a good time personally.

I don't know if this was stated before, but if you have a system that distinguishes between levels when entering wz's (55, 50-54, etc) why is this not implemented for ranked ratings? I see this as being a major reason why many pvp'ers don't group for ranked. Eventually a high ranking team learns (through general chat or whatever) that people are queuing and end up dominating every match, which makes some frustrated and want to quit (for reasons like not wanting to spend 2+hours grinding for Ranked comms or for those rating huggers that are too afraid too lose points in their rating) You could even have the rating groups overlap a little so that it will still be possible to fall from grace, as it were. For example,a group of 0 - 2000 rating would have a possibility of queuing with a 2000 - 3000 group if all the players in the 0 - 2000 group were above the 1800 or 1900 rating. Or the opposite, 2000 - 3000 players might get in a game with 0 - 2000 players if everyone in the group has under 2200 or 2100 rating.

Anyway just a thought so you don't have to eliminate 8 vs 8.

I have some questions/concerns about arena, specifically around player numbers and team imbalance - hopefully hasn't been asked before, I didn't see any response about it.

1. What will happen if not everyone accepts the queue?

It won't start the match without full teams on both sides, right? In WZs you usually have a chance when you are down up to 2 players, but for arenas I can imagine starting a deathmatch with even 1 person down pretty much guarantees a loss unless the full team are performing badly. With 2 players down you would need a huge skill discrepancy for the shorthanded team to win.

2. What happens if players leave? Can they leave?

If someone leaves your team midbattle, you are screwed.

If someone leaves your team between rounds and isn't replaced, you are screwed.

If you get backfilled into a match midbattle because someone left a losing team and most of your teammates are already dead, you are screwed.

If you can't leave the arena until it's over, everyone who hates arenas will just afk/let themselves get killed until its all over so they can requeue and hope for a WZ, in which case you may as well be down a teammate since they aren't going to be helpful. This assumes they didn't know what type of PVP game they were entering when they clicked the accept button, which leads me to my next question.

3. Will players be shown what type of game they are being put into?

When the PVP queue pops, will we be told if it's a WZ or Arena? If so, will this cause more WZs to start with undersized teams because players who only want to Arena will decline the queue? Will it cause a lot of Arena queues to be declined by WZ players who don't like deathmatches?

I'm not suggesting the queues should be separate - PVE servers can't handle that in offpeak times, and it'd likely funnel all PVPers into Arenas since they need less players to start, so co-queuers would never get into WZs.

Also, thank you very much for the huttball map picture! It makes me happy <3

I don't get this logic. There were no gamebreaking bugs in Ranked 8v8. You guys could have worked the issues while keeping the people that were satisfied with the current state to keep playing.

This game MAY lose a good bit of players over this. Just like we did when you guys scrapped Open World PvP.

I agree, Open World was a great way for guild vs. guild combat... Or just a massive moshpit, I hope you place a new open world pvp zone in this new planet you plan to release in 2.4 (leave Bolster out of this zone).

As I said in my last reply, I personally believe that to "fix" 8v8 Ranked Warzones is: Allow single queue as you plan to do with Arenas, and remove Bolster in Ranked so that getting gear is actually worth something.

BWMusco

BWPow

BWSorc

BWMerc

Nerf Muscos.

Interesting idea to motivate lots of people to experience/test on the PTS.

Unfortunately I've an old friend flying into the country tonight - so they're going to be pretty pissed off when I blow them out to play the new arenas.

Edited by Wainamoinen

For everyone still really pissed at this. I'd recommend making a support ticket. Forcing them to consistently individually read and reply to the same thing over and over might give them a hint that it's a bad idea. The majority of forum content goes on blind eyes when it comes to the staff.

Hey PvPers! I am going to be in this thread all day responding to your questions and feedback. I will get to as many posts as I can but I won’t get to them all. Hope yall enjoy the blog post! :jawa_biggrin:

Alex, :cool:

I need to know, we all need to know ..

Why are you not implenting crossrealms ?! why why why?

You cant actually believe that removing rwz 8vs8 and implenting 4v4 dm only will fix this pvp community .. dear god.

I'm happy among many others that your actually is bringing new content and style to pvp, but removing something that actually has been highly apreciated by many just like that, is not a good thing. :(

By fixing crossrealms, problem would be solved with rwz, players and guilds dont have to transfer to the same pvp server just to be able to get rwz ques etc ..

Why Alex, why ? :eek:

Regards

Edited by Madolert

NEW HUTTBALL!?

wheres the lifetime sub button!

Also, if you're going to increase rewards from arenas and warzones, please dont increase the xp without giving us players the option to TURN IT OFF.

This game already has a ridiculously fast xp curve, I cant even finish a planet without outleveling the next one. Toss in some pvp, and I'm 3-4 levels over the planet when I get to it. You add MORE xp to it, then I have to choose between pvp or pve and cant do both without making the PVE experience extremely boring and dull. Not that SWTOR is exactly a challenging MMO, but still.

Edited by Chiltonium

1. After Warzone Arena matches on PTS, do we earn Warzone Commendations?

2. If so, do they transition to our original server character, or will we need to copy our character from PTS to our original server?

Anything you earn on PTS cannot be transferred to live servers. You can't transfer a character from PTS to a live server

Hey folks,

While talking about Warzone Arenas, I want to tell you all about something Alex and I have been hinting at...the ability to play against some devs in Arenas! That's right, tomorrow when 2.4 is live on PTS there will be a 4-man dev team in the queue with you. Let me spell out the exact details on why, when, and how.

Why?

As we often do with PTS we have some specific things we want to test. We figure what better way to drum up a little extra excitement around the Game Update then to get in there with you guys and play it right there with you. This will also allow us an opportunity to do something we also haven't done yet, play Warzone Arenas in the live environment! Lastly, what player wouldn't jump at the chance to fight some devs in Arenas!?

When?

Our current plan is that we will do this tomorrow night from 5-7 PM CDT. Note that if we hit any issues with bringing up PTS tomorrow in a timely manner, we could push this out.

How?

Simple! All you have to do is grab 3 friends, and join the team ranked queue. We will be playing Arenas in that queue nonstop from 5-7 so hop on and you might just get a chance to take us on!

Here are some additional things I want to point out. We will not be in-game to answer questions or anything like that so even if you play against us, we intend to talk only with our weapons!

Speaking of "we," let me tell you who you can expect to see in-game. Our 4 man team will be following characters:

BWMusco

BWPow

BWSorc

BWMerc

As you can see, I will be one of the players. Just to avoid any internet trolling all I will say is other folks who you will see in Arena tests besides us on the community team include members of the dev team, including some folks from our Combat/PvP team!

One thing I want to stress as that the 4 names I mentioned above and ONLY those 4 names will be representing BioWare during that exact time. If during that test, or anytime besides that, you see someone on PTS who has similar naming and is claiming to be a BioWare employee, they are not. Not only are they not an employee, I would ask that you immediately send me a PM here on the forums to let me know of their action (do not submit an in-game CS ticket). This is a definite breach of our ToS and appropriate action will be taken.

If you want to get in on this action I recommend that you follow the directions below on accessing PTS. This will let you get started on the patching process but note you will not be able to play on PTS until tomorrow! Then tomorrow when PTS is live you can transfer your character and get ready to hop in the queue.

Thanks folks, looking forward to getting in and mixing it up in Arenas with you all.

-eric

PS - If you do not know how to access PTS, here are some handy instructions:

1. Log in to the Star Wars: The Old Republic launcher using your username and password.

2. Click the Settings button (gear) in the bottom left corner of the launcher

3. Under “Enable Public Test Server Access”, select “Yes”

4. Click “Save”

5. Now the bottom left corner will have two buttons: select the new button next to settings

6. Under "Pick an Environment" select "Public Test"

7. Click "Next" and you will begin patching on the Public Test Server*

8. Click "Play"

please play a madness assassin or a concealment operative please. Then after you get steamrolled by an organized team of players because you cant do anything, discuss how to fix that.

1. After Warzone Arena matches on PTS, do we earn Warzone Commendations?

2. If so, do they transition to our original server character, or will we need to copy our character from PTS to our original server?

Last time i played on the PTS one could get all the commendation as normal, so guess taht will still happen. But everything you get on the PTS stays on the PTS.

Wonder if there might be something like the titles for testing arenas on the PTS. Also, will there be an option to get a level up and the best PvP gear, like there was at a time with the PvE gear to play on the PTS?

You can only play Ranked as a premade 4-player team or a 1 person solo grouped with and going against other solo players. The two do not mix.

Since there are now only two Qs, does this mean that players can't group to queue for any non-ranked games?

Hey folks,

While talking about Warzone Arenas, I want to tell you all about something Alex and I have been hinting at...the ability to play against some devs in Arenas! That's right, tomorrow when 2.4 is live on PTS there will be a 4-man dev team in the queue with you. Let me spell out the exact details on why, when, and how.

Why?

As we often do with PTS we have some specific things we want to test. We figure what better way to drum up a little extra excitement around the Game Update then to get in there with you guys and play it right there with you. This will also allow us an opportunity to do something we also haven't done yet, play Warzone Arenas in the live environment! Lastly, what player wouldn't jump at the chance to fight some devs in Arenas!?

When?

Our current plan is that we will do this tomorrow night from 5-7 PM CDT. Note that if we hit any issues with bringing up PTS tomorrow in a timely manner, we could push this out.

How?

Simple! All you have to do is grab 3 friends, and join the team ranked queue. We will be playing Arenas in that queue nonstop from 5-7 so hop on and you might just get a chance to take us on!

Here are some additional things I want to point out. We will not be in-game to answer questions or anything like that so even if you play against us, we intend to talk only with our weapons!

Speaking of "we," let me tell you who you can expect to see in-game. Our 4 man team will be following characters:

BWMusco

BWPow

BWSorc

BWMerc

As you can see, I will be one of the players. Just to avoid any internet trolling all I will say is other folks who you will see in Arena tests besides us on the community team include members of the dev team, including some folks from our Combat/PvP team!

One thing I want to stress as that the 4 names I mentioned above and ONLY those 4 names will be representing BioWare during that exact time. If during that test, or anytime besides that, you see someone on PTS who has similar naming and is claiming to be a BioWare employee, they are not. Not only are they not an employee, I would ask that you immediately send me a PM here on the forums to let me know of their action (do not submit an in-game CS ticket). This is a definite breach of our ToS and appropriate action will be taken.

If you want to get in on this action I recommend that you follow the directions below on accessing PTS. This will let you get started on the patching process but note you will not be able to play on PTS until tomorrow! Then tomorrow when PTS is live you can transfer your character and get ready to hop in the queue.

Thanks folks, looking forward to getting in and mixing it up in Arenas with you all.

-eric

PS - If you do not know how to access PTS, here are some handy instructions:

1. Log in to the Star Wars: The Old Republic launcher using your username and password.

2. Click the Settings button (gear) in the bottom left corner of the launcher

3. Under “Enable Public Test Server Access”, select “Yes”

4. Click “Save”

5. Now the bottom left corner will have two buttons: select the new button next to settings

6. Under "Pick an Environment" select "Public Test"

7. Click "Next" and you will begin patching on the Public Test Server*

8. Click "Play"

When trying to patch my PTS it still shows Operation Nightmare. Why would the PTS not update for me?