Security key is only for certain people !

Tremelsar

Hi, im not one to blame or flame but this just strikes me as odd.

Bioware wants us to secure our accounts better incase of a hack attempt, fair enaugh.

They even give you 2 options on how to do it, either buy a physhical security key for 13€ or just download the app to your iphone or android system...

BUT ! What about the people who dont use an iphone or an android system ?

It seems like a ripoff to pay 13€ just to get my account more secured, sure you get acces to a special vendor but so what ?

Unless the vendor gives out free end game loot i really couldnt care less about it, certainly not enaugh to pay 13€ for this function. I still would like to have my account more secured, are there really no other ways of doing it besides these 2 very limited and narrow minded options ?

Tell me, there are multiple different platfors on modern day smart phones, one of the biggest cell phone sellers is nokia and most of the earlier models like my n95 dosnt have an android software.

So what are my options ? leave my account more bare than the iphone users and if i get hacked i quess i cant blame anyone but myself for not owning a 600€ iphone or equally expencive android phone, or just pay 13€ more to get my account more secure...

ripoff.com....

The security is only $4 here in America, I don't know about other countries but that is fairly cheap here. As for the apps, a good majority of people use those expensive devices, I do not but a lot do.

Other phones just don't apps for them, so they couldn't even release one for it. As for the content, it's nothing special from what I've heard, I haven't bought a key yet.

very limited and narrow minded options ?

You are acting foolish.

What other reasonable options would you suggest? Bioware has no obligation at all to create different programs for each type of phone out there today. It's simply unrealistic to expect them to do so.

This is an EXTRA step for people who CHOOSE to participate.

Hating on the in game vendor is childish as well. It was added as an extra little bonus for the people who do go through the process of using a security key. It should not have end game loot under any circumstance.

Edited by Fanyen

arrrggh!!! I want something for nothing arrgggghhh!!!

The security key costs us what it costs BW to produce them. They're not going to be making much of a profit off of them. The downloadable key is for iPhone and Android because those platforms are designed to allow 3rd party software to be easily made and distributed.

I have a physical security key that I ordered last week. It works great and gives me peace of mind, knowing my account won't be stolen.

I have a droid phone and would have just downloaded the app, but I didn't want to have to deal with customer service to get my account unlocked if my phone broke or was lost. I had to do that once with WoW's Battlenet Authenticator and it was a pain.

i agree with everyone here. the key fob costs money to make and to expect a company to simply give it out for free is stupid and naive. also it is a very cheap price ($4 dollars in USA) for something very nice. as for your complaint about the android phones. you obviously just have something against smart phones in general since you can buy a very nice Android smart phone for 20-30 bucks now a days. some phone plans even have phones come with them for free. so don't get upset at a company for trying to help it's customers by offering so much account security AND offering it for free on the phone and Very cheap as a small personal key fob which costs more then the amount we would pay for it.

Buy SWTOR - You create a password which isn't Okay1234: You're safe

Buy the security key - Congratulations you're now more safe.

Buy a bike - It comes with a ****** lock, but a lock none the less: You're safe

Buy a better lock - Congratulations you're now more safe.

That kinda applies to everything.

the key fobs cost money to make... what do you expect? they are even as a BONUS giving you the vendor.

don't be so naive.

This -- my company use a similar product, and Bioware will be "selling" the fobs at a significant loss. (Obviously they aren't really, since they'll be making up the money by saving on the expense of support for people who get "hacked", but the fobs themselves cost a lot more than 10 Euros or whatever they're charging.)

stupid topic, i have the android one but like the person said for people that don't have a Iphone or Android phone why don't they make a version for the computer that links in from hardware ID's / Serial numbers so only your computer will work.

Well, since your account is hard locked to your security key, this would make it so that you could only play on one computer, or at the very least would have to log in to your account on SWTOR.com from that computer and turn off your security key, then logon from the computer you want to play on and go through the authentication steps on SWTOR.com each time you wanted to play on a different PC.

The point of this was to raise the question why only certain people can have the app for free and others have to pay for it ?

Wouldnt it make more sence to just create this function onto to the website ? if the allready give the option for certain users to get it free then why not make it free for all ? And to those idiots who are saying stuff like "How long does it take you to make 13€" THATS NOT THE POINT !

Aint it enaugh that i pay 50€ for the game and a monthly subscription just to pay even more for a function that is free for some and for others not...

The point of this was to raise the question why only certain people can have the app for free and others have to pay for it ?

Wouldnt it make more sence to just create this function onto to the website ? if the allready give the option for certain users to get it free then why not make it free for all ? And to those idiots who are saying stuff like "How long does it take you to make 13€" THATS NOT THE POINT !

Aint it enaugh that i pay 50€ for the game and a monthly subscription just to pay even more for a function that is free for some and for others not...

And then the website is down and noone would be able to play.

How does that sound?

You really don't understand the process here.

Putting the function on the website would completely defeat the purpose of the device. The device takes a serial number that is unique to either your phone or the physical device they sell, and mixes it with a timecode in order to create a code that is unique to the device in your hand and is impossible for an outside source to manipulate or determine. (or at least something close to that process).

Think of this way, they have a security key that they have to pay to have produced. They sell it for the lowest cost possible, but also turn around and give people a FREE option if they have a Droid or iPhone. That's generous. They COULD just tell you to use a 25 character password with 2 uppercase letters, 2 numbers, and 2 special characters, and to not be a complete idiot and respond to phishing e-mails...but instead they OFFER you extra security, or they could charge $10 bucks for they physical key, which many people would pay, not give a free option (maybe charge $10 bucks for the app in the app store too), and they'd make a fortune off of the volume sold.

So in other words, hush you unappreciative troll.

Edited by RabidBabyPanda

Yes, let's create this function on a website. That way when you go to log in to the website whatever keylogger you have on your computer gets your website information.

Now the hackers can log in to that website, use the utility there, and gain access to your account.

You guys are all missing the point of the authenticators. :rolleyes:

I love that TOR did this automatically. Nothing is more frusterating then to Log onto your account that youve spent countless hours on, and to have your character deleted, items stripped.. or have random characters missing.

When WoW finally put this out it solved alot of issues. Ive been hacked before its not fun. And the Key is free if you bought the Collectors Edition, which is awesome. but like another person said "how long does it take for you to make money" I pay 15$ already to play this. whats another 4$ or so one time fee for extra security?

OP this really is a non-issue. It's simply a question of whether extra account security worth €13 to you or not.

I have an Android phone but I'll be buying the token at the first opportunity I get, I have sworn by them when using other online games and services.

Edited by PJEBarlow