Can someone explain to me when Devs decided commendation gear should be Best in slot

deserttfoxx

Better the crafted gear at level 50.

All raid gear is purchased through commendations.

Better then quested gear at all levels while grinding to 50.

Dont even get me started on the welfare epics for pvp, that whole system is a complete joke.

When did this start? When did we remove the need to farm bosses and instances because we are going to get thrown commendations left right and center and buy everything. I remember when commendations where first introduced, back in WoW, the idea behind them was to act as a consolation prize. You are raiding daily, the random loot isnt working but you get tokens to buy some less then tier gear in the mean time so you dont feel cheated. It worked fine, that is how it is supposed to be.

With the current system, whether i do hard modes or raids it makes no difference, i know exactly what i am going to get. With such heavy reliance on commendations and tokens you guys have removed the whole reason raiders started to raid in the first place, the loot. Then just getting it, but the mystery surrounding it. The awe people have when you have this totally unique looking armor and they ask where you got it, and you can respond the last boss in X raid.

Im trying to figure out the reason i could careless about the full set of columni i currently have, and its because i could easily get it in hard modes as well as raiding.

For those of you who dont know, there are 4 sets of level 50 gear, and here is how it works.

Tier 1 - Energized, this is rating 124, you can easily negate it completely thanks to belsavis / ilum welfare epics from the dailies. Logically this set should be moved to Normal directive 7, false emperor and battle for ilum. Currently it is useless right out of the box.

Teir 2 - tionese rating 126, purchased with commendations, dropped in hard modes as full pieces, Kinda meh, i wore 1 piece of this, ear piece. I skipped the entire set otherwise

tier 3 - columni, rating 136, it drops as tokens throughout all the hard modes flashpoints, it drops as full pieces in operations on hard mode, Im currently full columni, minus the belt and bracers

tier 4 - rakata, rating 140, it drops as tokens through out all hard mode ops, full pieces on nightmare ops, it is also crafted. I have 2 pieces of this one at the moment, belt and bracers.

All of these by the way, LOOK EXACTLY THE SAME, there is no visual difference between rakata, tionese and columni gear beyond color.

There are no random drops, there are no special epics, you cant find malgus leggings, or Soa the infernal ones helmet or anything like that. The whole loot aspect of raids is removed, the whole reward system of raids is removed.

Black talon at level 1 has this, drops the black talon set, only drops in black talon and it is a unique looking set of armor, every flashpoint onward does this, then you get to hard mode and you are looking for the same set of gear across all 8 of them.

Bioware you need to go in and add unique loot tables to all these flashpoints, gear that only drops in these zones that are better thent eh commendation vendors, as they should be, you are farming these bosses, they should drop gear that is unique only to them, stop trying to change the raiding mold. With the current system, technically you never have to do eternity vault on normal or hard, you can get full columni in hard modes and jump right to the nightmare difficulty. There is no progression, no sense of accomplishment, and no sense of pride that comes from having a full set of hard earned raid epics. Bioware you missed capturing this feel, and you need to rethink the current system.

Edited by deserttfoxx

• Replies 282
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was under the impression that crafted gear was better. In fact it is for leveling.

Also you are going to get better gear when you do the raids. I already see lots of purple lightsabers in Warzones!

As for why, I'm sure it's to get you to do the story and quests - Which they have never told us that this game would be anything over than a story driven MMORPG.

I was under the impression that crafted gear was better. In fact it is for leveling.

Also you are going to get better gear when you do the raids. I already see lots of purple lightsabers in Warzones!

As for why, I'm sure it's to get you to do the story and quests - Which they have never told us that this game would be anything over than a story driven MMORPG.

Why do the two have to be mutually exclusive? The story should have been added on top of game mechanics that are already proven to work well. People buy the game for the story, they'll keep playing it for the loot.

Crafted gear is better, but you dont factor in the ease of commendation gear, the difficulty of leveling the craft and acquiring the mats, and the absurd rng involved with reverse engineering. I can tell you right now, ive made well over 300+ items in an effort to get epic recipes and ive not made it past the green version on some of the items.

When you do eternity vault the first time and you get 9 pieces of columni per boss, an 8 man raid, 9 drops, it is unheard of. the rate you aquire gear completely negates the need to craft, that is why biochem is so strong, not because the stuff you craft sucks, but because you can skip right past it.

Firstly: Game Mechanics should never be sacrificed for "Story".

Secondly, OP is correct. Gear system is a complete joke.

PvP Gear takes far less time to gather than PvE gear and is better than drops from Hardmode Flashpoints, making them completely worthless (having done them while levelling, the story is of no interest, not to mention their horrific buggyness).

Purple LS are from pvp, not from pve raids.

Why do the two have to be mutually exclusive? The story should have been added on top of game mechanics that are already proven to work well. People buy the game for the story, they'll keep playing it for the loot.

Loot should never be a reason to play a game, NEVER. Loot makes people greedy douche bags. Look at WoW. People should want to play the game because it is fun and entertaining. They should want to play even if gear was not an issue. Gear is the means to an end, not the end.

Edited by Magnijung

I raid hard modes and agree with the OP on this fully. there is no mystery in the loot, it's just boring, same-same looking armour sets (which I dunno about everyone else but as a jedi sentinel my tier armour looks crap)

Nah, Guardian gear looks terrible as well.

Loot should never be a reason to play a game, NEVER. Loot makes people greedy douche bags. Look at WoW. People should want to play the game because it is fun and entertaining. They should want to play even if gear was not an issue. Gear is the means to an end, not the end.

Sorry but that's how it works. You play this game to build up a character. Eventually, that will only be by obtaining new loot. The story element of this game has been much better than I anticipated but there's only so much more they can keep putting out before the player base outpaces it.

Loot is my reason i play these games, loot is the reason i sleep 3 hours a day to balance working and gaming at a hardcore pace so i can raid, loot is my carrot on the stick.

I find gaining new drops fun.

I find gaining new loot entertaining.

I find mastering a raid, and getting something to show for it both fun and entertaining.

This is why i played everquest, this is why i played wow, this is why i even stuck around in aion for so long.

I almost have everything, what will i look forward to next week, let alone next month?

i come from games where i spent 6 months getting a full set of armor, so me geting full tier 3 in the span of a week is absolutely unheard of.

You cannot tell me otherwise.

PvP Gear takes far less time to gather than PvE gear

Liar, you obviously don't PvP or you do and got super lucky. 37 champ bags later, nothing. I know many many pvpers that have opened 100s of the things and are rocking 2 pieces total.

Oh but we do get currency to buy 126 lvl PvP gear that is infact a major down grade from crummy gear gained solo via dailies.

Sorry man, the PvP grind in this game is beyond horrific; it rivals F2P grinds.

Crafted gear may be better than the blues you can buy with commendations (I've never compared), but crafted mods are no better (and worse in some cases) than the ones you can buy with commendations (unless you grind every recipe to purple, and then they've become ridiculously expensive, both in time and credits). I know there have been several instances where a mod from a vendor has a lower level requirement than the mod I could make.

And it is most definitely true that crafted gear is useless at level 50.

Edited by Pestulan

Liar, you obviously don't PvP or you do and got super lucky. 37 champ bags later, nothing. I know many many pvpers that have opened 100s of the things and are rocking 2 pieces total.

Oh but we do get currency to buy 126 lvl PvP gear that is infact a major down grade from crummy gear gained solo via dailies.

Look, rng =/= difficulty.

Ive queued for pvp about 15 times in my life, i have 3 parts champion in the bank, and 2 implants and the relic.

Why, because i get 12 bags a week for doing jack diddly squat, it is unearned welfare garbage.

Crafted gear may be better than the blues you can buy with commendations (I've never compared), but crafted mods are no better (and worse in some cases) than the ones you can buy with commendations. I know there have been several instances where a mod from a vendor has a lower level requirement than the mod I could make.

And it is most definitely true that crafted gear is useless at level 50.

Wouldn't agree with that. Made Rakata belt and bracers for myself which is best in-slot right now.

Hit 50 in the first 2 weeks of the game, have full champion apart from the chestpiece, which is centurion.

About to hit Rank 60 Valor, with both ilum and warzone weeklies ready to hand in.

I never understood the point of playing a game for sole reason of obtaining gear.

Competition, I understand.

Story, I understand.

Team work, I understand.

Character development, I understand.

Playing the game only for what drops in it, I do not understand. I can't even explain why I do not understand it. It just feels so crude.

Edited by Magnijung

Probably because gear grinding is a tired, out dated way to maintain subscriber numbers. It's also completely ignorant to only supply great gear to hardcore raiders as those people are a minority and won't sustain a game in the long run. 5 years ago, maybe. But these days people want more than a gear grind as a reason to play a game. Also, a lot of the first, second, and third generation mmo players are now adults with jobs and real world commitments, so they can't raid hardcore even if they wanted to. Let me say again, gear grinding is an antiquated means to create an end game. In my opinion raid gear should only supply an asthetic uniqueness not a stat superiority. I think the ease of getting competitive gear is a really good thing and forces devs to come up with much better ways to keep me paying to play. I would rather only have 3 sets of end game armor that are easy as hell to get if it meant the devs spent more time creating ways for user generated content and a means to connect my self to the game world organically. Honestly this game shouldn't even have raid armor drops, they should have raid mod drops and give all armor to crafters to make as slottable gear than can be re'd to have one of many many properties.

Probably because gear grinding is a tired, out dated way to maintain subscriber numbers. It's also completely ignorant to only supply great gear to hardcore raiders as those people are a minority and won't sustain a game in the long run. 5 years ago, maybe. But these days people want more than a gear grind as a reason to play a game. Also, a lot of the first, second, and third generation mmo players are now adults with jobs and real world commitments, so they can't raid hardcore even if they wanted to. Let me say again, gear grinding is an antiquated means to create an end game. In my opinion raid gear should only supply an asthetic uniqueness not a stat superiority. I think the ease of getting competitive gear is a really good thing and forces devs to come up with much better ways to keep me paying to play. I would rather only have 3 sets of end game armor that are easy as hell to get if it meant the devs spent more time creating ways for user generated content and a means to connect my self to the game world organically. Honestly this game shouldn't even have raid armor drops, they should have raid mod drops and give all armor to crafters to make as slottable gear than can be re'd to have one of many many properties.

I am actually the opposite of your opinion. Gear should be the means. If you are not raiding, you do not need raid gear. Although I also do not think that appearance should matter. It should never be "i want those gloves to complete my set." It should be "I want those gloves because it will increase my dps/hps/survivability by .2758% which will allow my group to finally kill the boss."