Is the Jedi Knight's story any good?

HalloWorld

Gets a bit old when you save the galaxy for the nth time; I mean, just how many planet-destroying superweapons can exist at any given time?

You havent seen the films or read the books then? :D

Let me see, there are two deathstars, star forge, centre point station, Mass shadow generator, Dark Reaper, shawken Device, though bomb, death star prototype, the tarkin, the sun crusher, the galaxy gun, world devestators and the dark sabre.

And they are just the ones I can remember!

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You havent seen the films or read the books then? :D

Let me see, there are two deathstars, star forge, centre point station, Mass shadow generator, Dark Reaper, shawken Device, though bomb, death star prototype, the tarkin, the sun crusher, the galaxy gun, world devestators and the dark sabre.

And they are just the ones I can remember!

Yeah but hey, the Star Forge and the Death Stars are separated by thousands of years and even in the case of the others at least a few years pass between any two superweapons threatening the entire galaxy.

Here, you travel to a new planet every few weeks and find a superweapon on EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THEM. Well, almost.

Yeah but hey, the Star Forge and the Death Stars are separated by thousands of years and even in the case of the others at least a few years pass between any two superweapons threatening the entire galaxy.

Here, you travel to a new planet every few weeks and find a superweapon on EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THEM. Well, almost.

alright, but both death stars, the death star prototype, the sun crusher, tarkin and dark sabre were all in existance at the same time.

And I dont think of the game as a few days, for me the story is set over quite a long period, years or more. Because frankly, there is no way, no matter how many times they save the galaxy, that a padawan becomes a master in only a few days.

Edited by Maidel

IMO, Chapter I: excellent.

Chapter II? How can I say this politely? hmmm.

I found the plot lacking plausibility. I remember thinking: ***? THIS is your master solution? Really? The Jedi Council, supposedly filled with the greatest Masters, the clearest thinkers---and they come up with one of the most ridiculous plans I've ever encountered in sci-fi. I couldn't believe it. I also foresaw the outcome---who couldn't?

It was almost as if GL wrote it. Yeah, that bad.

As an aside, I liked the side mission: the Thing that Czerka found. I wish they had developed that one into a full-blown, chapterized series of missions. I had my JK 'accidentally' release the creature. Later, he received emails from it, thanking him for the assistance in not-so-vague language. heh heh heh. I'd love the chance to track it down and capture it once again.

Oh well.

Cal

Ohh wow!

I have had such a great evening! Finished up on Hoth and did not expect the story twist in the end there, just want to keep on playing but is pretty much midnight over here on a weekday so time to wrap it up. How would I rate it, I want more, right now. As always it is very personal how you feel about the story and your char but for me it has only gotten better and better.

For those who have done the ending on Hoth, otherwise don't look

Being kept on the ship and nearly losing your memories, forgetting who you were. I did not see that coming so it was great for me =) brought a trooper friend and the both of us loved it.

Edited by SilentKitty

The end fight with

the Emperor

while being challenging enough felt a bit at odds storywise. After the initial encounter with him it I didn't think it would go down like it did. I kept thinking something was going to happen at the end and he was going to pull some trick that would let him get away.

Afterwards, the stuff

on Ilum involving Darth Malgus

and his rise to power was expected but done well enough.

Sith warrior and JK spoiler:

You dont kill the emperor, and he does get away. After finishing the class questchain for sith warrior, you get a letter from the watchers of the emperor describing how a jedi knight was able to kill the voice of the emperor. AKA merely a vessel that the emperor uses to speak to others and NOT the emperor himself. Hell, The sith warrior meets the emperors true voice on Voss and the emperor asks the sith warrior to kill him in order to release him from the current vessel and being able to go and find himself a new one.

Basically, the ending of the jedi knight story is worthless as you accomplish absolutely NOTHING. Which of course makes me full of glee as a sith to see you prancing fools parade how you waste your energies on punching at nothing while we plunge the galaxy into war and have killed off the entire republic high command before the war even began! :D

in short: see you on the dark side, suckers! ;)

Basically, the ending of the jedi knight story is worthless as you accomplish absolutely NOTHING.

Stopping everybody in the Galaxy from dieing (this includes everybody in the Empire, if it wasn't for the JK you'd all be dead) multiple times is accomplishing nothing? Also, I hope you know that The Emperor is actually plotting against the entire Empire, considering he wants to kill every living thing in the universe. And iirc The Hand mail said the Emperor has been knocked out, so the JK doesn't have to worry about everybody in the galaxy dieing anytime soon.

I really enjoyed the JK story, but I expected to be a hero and was not disappointed. It picks up near the end of the prologue and each chapter is noteworthy. I felt chapter 2 was my least favorite, but it picked up quite a bit in the end of the chapter.

There were a few 'surprises' along the way to keep it interesting, and most importantly, I felt important the whole time.

Some really great observations

It is more of an "along for the ride" type of story, more so than the others I think. That being said, you always do feel important, and for that Bioware deserves heaps of credit.

Plus there is Master Orgus. He is fantastic.

"if we don't survive this, you are fired "

The best part of the story IMO was near the end in Corelia when...

You get to lead a team of Jedi to reclaim the planet including people you had met before and helped redeem like Bengel Morr and Lord Praven. It was awesome seeing them again and just so epic being a Jedi Commander.

• 1 month later...

I hated the JK story. There.

Like someone said before, you basically accomplish nothing.

Even if you did kill the Emperor (which is news to me that you don't) it's still pretty worthless because the war goes on. I expected the war to pretty much end or at least trickle down with his death.

Nope. You were worthless. Good job nobody, you did nothing, here's a Cross of Glory.

Also, even without that, how much planet destroying technology is there? I mean, wasn't the Death Star (3,600 years later) a pretty big deal because it could destroy planets? This game kinda ***** all over that. Turns out the Death Star was just a common piece of technology because every planet you go to has something that can kill the planet.

Worst writing in any Bioware game I've played...

Quickly: describe the subtle differences in characterization between Qui-Jonn Jinn, Mace Windu and your Jedi character from this game: go!

You can't do it.

People saying they like the other stories might just like the other *characters*.

The story itself is ostensibly the most epic of any class.

The Jedi characters are also the most boring of any class--remember how boring and interchangeable the Jedis were in the prequels?

They are actually somewhat worse in this. Humorless, emotionless, and even lacking wisdom (they don't know *anything* about life or the force you didn't know after watching "Empire Strikes Back"--to be "wise" you need to say something wise.)

The characters have no history--no perspective. Partially because it's an MMO.

You never feel like Luke Skywalker because you see no transformation--you arrive into the game like Luke in "Return of the Jedi," "wise" and dull. With Luke, it sorta worked because we'd watch him grow. He had an arc. Jedis in this have no arc.

Will you enjoy the dialogues? Will you enjoy your Jedi?

With the way this game is written, I found it much more fun to just be an evil Sith, since at least it was fun in a "Hitman" or "Grand Theft Auto" way.

• 2 months later...

For me, this is my first MMO, and to be honest I am enjoying it a lot, this may be because I absolutely LOVE Star Wars, or that it is my first MMO and I'm not sure what other games have better and what is bad. I played my character as a smart, cunning, courages and kind Jedi Guardian, and every choice I have made has been Light side. My character in my Legacy is the Son of a member of the Dark Council so he also has an ability to use certain Dark traits and powers that can help him on his ways. He draws upon the light and dark, but does not believe in the practices of the Sith.

On Tython, I had lots of fun and found lvling and learning a fun experience. It also helped me mold my character into what I and the game would perceive of him. From Coruscant till the end of Ord Mantel, I wanted to slit my risks and put pins into my eyes. The story wasn't all to bad, but everything else was so boring and bland. From there on I think i have ****** on several occasions while playing this game just because of the sheer awesomeness.

In my opinion, it really comes to what you like and how you can perceive your character. In my mind when i play the game I am constantly thinking of my choices and how my character would play out certain situations. I strongly recommend you to play the JK class, it is almost impossible to get a true grasp of how the story plays out and what you would take from it by reading forums. If I was in your shoes, play to lvl 30-35 and see what you think, after that i would not bother

(but when you go to the emperors fortress with the other Jedi and fight scourge, from there on turns into total complete epicness, well for me :)

I started a Jedi knight. Since I'm a Star Wars geek, I really thought I should do this, but so far I've not liked the storyline. I'm still willing to give it a try since she's only level 12. I like the play style and the duel lightsaber is cool. It's the story, like the OP mentioned, that keeps me playing. I do hope the story ramps up. It's very insipid and the voice actor for the female jedi sounds like she's this eager 15 year old cheerleader; very little wisdom or maturity.

Please tell me it gets better?

My Jedi Knight is currently lvl 38 and I love it. I found, though, that when I made a kind of sweet looking freckle faced girl and then played her dark-sided I loved the class so much more. It was fun sounding all sweet and looking like a model Jedi and totally pulling the wool over the council's eyes. Listening to Satele telling me i am the hope for the Jedi order while I murder and cause mayhem and leave people to die....and then lie about it.

Some of Kira's comments to my darker deeds make it all worthwhile lol.

Dez

Plus there is Master Orgus. He is fantastic.

"if we don't survive this, you are fired "

Orgus Din is by far my favorite ally throughout the JK storyline. He, plus the many vivid and well-written antagonists, made the ride worthwhile.

I didn't go in expecting narrative brilliance from this storyline. Hey, I'm a Chosen One, I'm gonna be the big buff captain of the galactic football team and everyone will love me. Yup. I would almost feel cheated if that clean traditional rise-to-galaxy-saving plotline weren't available in a Star Wars game.

What pleasantly surprised me was that wonderful grounded wisecracking Jedi Master and those smart, often bordering on sympathetic villains. Great.

I thought the Emperor's "surprise, mind control on everything in line of sight" was a stupid cop-out...the journey to darkness and back means nothing if somebody just picked you up and yanked you there...but it wasn't quite enough to wreck the story for me.

Edited by bright_ephemera

Unfortunately, no.

Dark chocies are:

a) Kill some imperials instead of saving few innocents (Sometimes when it's just killing imperials it's dark side.. Got no *********** idea why ^^)

b) Don't give money instead of.. well, figure that out ^^

That's unfortunetly about it.

Through all the story I felt like dark choices are kinda forced here. I wanted to be a grey jedi, but the choices are: Sadistic idiot or a pacifist.

SPOILER ALERT!!!! for JKs and Sith Warriors!!!

I havent finished yet, Im in late 40s now, but some guy spoiled me both an endind to JK and SW.. There it is: The Emporor you fight in the end is just "Voice of Emperor", just like those Voldemort's horcrucs

not entirely accurate - a lot of DS vs LS choices are about what you feel is more important:

furthering Republic military goals (DS) versus saving innocent lives (LS). or destroying a WMD instead of acquiring it for the Republic. And the Republic military officers usually give you an earful for saving lives :rolleyes:.

And yes a lot of the DS choices are tempting, but....

some of the LS choices make for pleasant surprises later

I am actually enjoying the JK story and I didn't think I would I hav a 50 BH, 50 SI and 49 IA and I liked the BH the most. Its kinda what you would expect get to be the hero and charge in to save the day. And granted I am not that far through and it might end up with the worst chapter2 and 3 but they would have to do something truely terrible to take that honor away from the SI,

Just wanted to chime in to agree with those who say that the story starts slow (i.e. Act I) but ends up really good by the last third. Coincidentally, it's also when Knights really come into their own from an ability standpoint.

I also agree that at times the Light vs. Dark decision is really not that clear-cut... I frequently wanted to go "Dark" even as a good guy character, though I didn't for gameplay reasons.

Just wanted to chime in to agree with those who say that the story starts slow (i.e. Act I) but ends up really good by the last third. Coincidentally, it's also when Knights really come into their own from an ability standpoint.

I also agree that at times the Light vs. Dark decision is really not that clear-cut... I frequently wanted to go "Dark" even as a good guy character, though I didn't for gameplay reasons.

What I particularly like about the morality decisions for the Jedi Knight is that they aren't all bloodthirsty, and are usually pale in comparison to what a Sith's dark side choices are. Which makes sense, considering that theoretically if you are going dark side, its because you are falling and haven't fallen all the way. There are moments though, definately moments when you feel a little scummy, lol.

My BH was totally dark sided for most of Chapter 1, but then toward the end the dark side choices made me feel like such a low life jerk that I started skewing lighter because I just couldn't do it. With the Knight, I feel like they made sense, like if you were leaning a bit dark sided, then yeah, you'd do that. And the best part is, at least how I play MY dark sided JK, you can buzz through all the conversations nice and shiny and sweet and then blamo when it matters, you do the hard thing, and then when people ask about it, you lie. Or justify it. Or justify it and then lie.

Dez

I just got to Voss on my knight and I have to agree with some of the others here... the whole super-weapon thing is getting old very fast. It's like the story is 80% super-weapons, 20% epic. The story itself really isn't that satisfying for me, and so far I'm of the mindset that it's only good because of how 'epic' it is, and even then apparently the real epic stuff doesn't happen until the very end. My main is an agent and I adore that story, the progression just seems so much more cohesive compared to the knight where you grind through all this weapon filler in order to get to the good stuff.

So for anyone who feels the same way, what class would you recommend I roll next? I'd prefer something that flows well the whole way through. I just hate having to burn through filler to get the little tasty treats at the end of every planet.

So for anyone who feels the same way, what class would you recommend I roll next? I'd prefer something that flows well the whole way through. I just hate having to burn through filler to get the little tasty treats at the end of every planet.

Hmmm, all the classes have their tasty little treats at the end of the planets but if you want a story that is interesting, gives scope for "argh, what do I pick?" choices, a little bit of everything like romance, intrigue, bravery, skill and a very satisfying and interesting ending... my recommendation would be...

TROOPER.

I'm not out of Act 1 yet, but so far on my Knight, I feel like I'm just cleaning up after everyone's complete and utter incompetence. The main guy I get my storyline missions from is just a moron and most of the people I have to team up with deserve a lightsaber to the face more than they deserve my help.

That said, I'm not totally against the story line and I am enjoying it but I do feel a bit like a babysitter rather than a Jedi Knight :)

thats what the 1st chapter feels like til the end. once you get the 2 you start to become more respected for your skill and the story plays on that. by the time you get to chapter 3 your pretty much the only hope for the galixy