Premades are ruining non-ranked warzones

Monoth

Has anyone ever thought about making a default strategy per warzone for PUGs? Would have to keep it simple and generic due to the random makeup along with expecting people to win an even fight, but just to give them a shot at holding at least one part of a game.

I just think if there was a cookie cutter, you still wouldn't win against an adaptive premade, but you would at least stand a chance to get medals, for those of you who seem to struggle.

• Replies 8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Has anyone ever thought about making a default strategy per warzone for PUGs? Would have to keep it simple and generic due to the random makeup along with expecting people to win an even fight, but just to give them a shot at holding at least one part of a game.

I just think if there was a cookie cutter, you still wouldn't win against an adaptive premade, but you would at least stand a chance to get medals, for those of you who seem to struggle.

Well certain ones strategies hold basically consistent among pugs

Alderaan-- 2 to natural turret rest mid, one possible right-stall/intercept who can win a 1v1 if they only send one.

Novarre-- 1-2 to the north turret, rest mid. Sometimes send 3 north 2 of which try and charge the opposite team's northern.

Huttball-- too fluid strategies to reliant on specific team makeup, but basically try and control mid and advance the ball is as good as you can get here.

VS-- Stealth try X side rest Y, sometimes try to 4/4 or 5/3 for an advantage.

Hypergates-- Snag a node control mid, stealth possibly try to last second cap the other node.

Really I'd say 75-80% of PuG warzones fall under the above basic setups.

This is a very good post Serp. Only thing i disagree with is your last sentence. I believe this is true for the serious pvp guilds, but more than 50% of "premades" are, in my opinion, nothing else than 4 man pugs with 4 friends in them, no voice comms no elaborate tactics no anything. Most people probably don't even realize they are playing with / against a premade in those situations. This is why i believe we need matchmaking, not segregated queues.

that right there is so true.

(the rest of this isnt really a response to my quote)

even with that said all you need is practice to be good at warzones. simple things like for ex: dont wait for people to call incs before u respond, you can tell where ur team is and where the enemy is from your very own mini map and ops list. and always have your camera facing towards the objective. get ahead of the ball, when this class does a certain thing you respond a certain way.

all of the little "do's and donts" of pvp that you learn as you go.

you do not need vent or twinks or several flavor of the months to compete with other people that use them.

if your pug is noob then carry your team, if you cant then try... its a challenge and you could be surprised by what happens.

Edited by dufox

I just finished playing a non-ranked warzone.

In my quest to finish my Weekly, I've logged on three times today to see if I can make up the 7 wins I needed. Know why I couldn't? Because every game I got into, save one, was made up of premade-Guild Super Sith.

I have recruit armor and I'm sure they were all smiling with their Cheetoh-stained teeth, the only thing visible in their mancaves besides their screens. They roll up with their EWH armor and mow me and my team down.

Forget being discouraged about getting my Weekly done in time, I'm discouraged from even getting better armor at this point. Why would I want to do to some other recruit-armored Sith what I'm getting right now? Not fair to them, and it's certainly not fair to me.

Another Tuesday will come and go, and I'm sure Bioware will not fix their matchmaking. :mad:

Well said. Those hard fought PUG vs PUG matches really are the best, especially in a game like huttball. It's like playing a pickup football game vs. an organized one. And also I agree on going after teammates, that's the fun part.

In HS I played QB for our football team. I had to have organized games and practices of course. But I also played a lot of pickup games, every day there was likely to be one and it was fun getting a short game in during lunch period or another off period. Well one time one of my WRs came by and we were on the same team. We ran a couple of plays, got easy scores, and everyone else then insisted we weren't allowed on the same team. And that was fine with us, we went right at each other on opposite sides the rest of the game and everyone else had more fun that way. It would have been pointless to continue pretty much owning for free, we might as well have just been at practice without a defense. It's just a different game.

Really I still don't understand how any premade can really have fun going against PUGs or even having PUGs on their team. Premades are all about organization and executing a set gameplan. PUGs are all about not having a real gameplan and knowing tendencies to begin with, but rather figuring things out on the fly. The premades don't have to do that so they have a huge advantage already and it's a different game. The PUGs do and have to work without even having tools in place that they won't be able to overcome against competent premades.

I'm guessing the premade vs PUG win rate is about 90-10. Pug vs pug it's going to be 50-50.

I don't premade to have competitive games against full PuG teams, many of whom are undergeared. I premade to have a fighting chance against the Imp premades (and also cause I like playing with my guildies). I'm certainly not min-maxed, and we don't always have a healer, but it helps immensely to have teammates you know you can trust going in (you would have done pickup games with your friends surely), and it can provide a pretty good counter to those premades on the other side. To me it's the only logical response to being slapped down by imp premades (or pub premades if you're on the imp side).

Fight fire with fire. You might still get outplayed. You'll often get out played. Or you can have a very competitive game against a team that is half made up of some of the best PVPers on the server instead of getting rolled.

And while I admit I'm not considering the other people queuing primarily, I like to think that if I can save 4 PUGs from getting rolled by an Imp premade it couldn't have been all bad either.

I just finished playing a non-ranked warzone.

In my quest to finish my Weekly, I've logged on three times today to see if I can make up the 7 wins I needed. Know why I couldn't? Because every game I got into, save one, was made up of premade-Guild Super Sith.

I have recruit armor and I'm sure they were all smiling with their Cheetoh-stained teeth, the only thing visible in their mancaves besides their screens. They roll up with their EWH armor and mow me and my team down.

Forget being discouraged about getting my Weekly done in time, I'm discouraged from even getting better armor at this point. Why would I want to do to some other recruit-armored Sith what I'm getting right now? Not fair to them, and it's certainly not fair to me.

Another Tuesday will come and go, and I'm sure Bioware will not fix their matchmaking. :mad:

There is no matchmaking afaik but they said they are working on one. They also will be boosting expertise on recruit and making expertise in general the same across all gear levels.

The only thing I see spoiling the game is a lot of brown noses, not premades, but plain and simple brown nosses and snakes in long grass.

Also having visited a few guild websites to see what they are about, the ugly muggshots of them is enough to put anyone off.

So to wrap it up, Brown Nosses, Snakes in the grass and ugly mugg shots, that is the spoiler.

Ta

FatEdd

Lvl 50 PVP is just unplayable right now as PUG.

You cant match those powerhealing teams guarded by tanks. You just dont get a team like that on random picked team members.

This is true, you don't see pugs working as a team 90% of the time.

There is no matchmaking afaik but they said they are working on one. They also will be boosting expertise on recruit and making expertise in general the same across all gear levels.

I am relatively certain that the game currently does its best to match premades against each other, if that counts as matchmaking. Do you not think that is the case?

I am relatively certain that the game currently does its best to match premades against each other, if that counts as matchmaking. Do you not think that is the case?

No, I've rolled into games where everyone but me is 15k hp and we're fighting a bunch of WH guys. Using the term fighting loosely, its more along the lines of focus fire death.

Usually people only stay because they get a tick on their daily. After their daily is done, and they see this they bail.

Edited by Ybini

No, I've rolled into games where everyone but me is 15k hp and we're fighting a bunch of WH guys. Using the term fighting loosely, its more along the lines of focus fire death.

Are you sure you read my [very short] post? I didn't say anything about gear, just premades. Not to say that the gear gap isn't really painful if the matchmaking dice are against you.

On ToFN every 3rd game for Republic vs 4 man imp group premade. but you get used to it :D

This game just need CROSS-SERVER Warzones. And put premade vs premade. Most ppl play normal warzone as premade because its to long to wait queue for rwz/ with cross-server wz all problems will be solved.

Edited by Avanami

Not that I've noticed. I do think that some of the issue lies in faction imbalance. I see far more imp premades than pub premades on PoT5. If the game is biased towards making imp v pub games, then matching premades is infinitely more difficult if one side has fewer groups queued.

The current situation is just painful when it comes to PvP:ing as LvL 50+. I recently rolled a new char and BING - the Pvp was fun and challeing again as low Lvl Pvp! :D Real long and hard battles again, lovly!

When i came back to my main I noticed how big the differance was! Jeez, been playing off and on for 2 weeks (as PUG player Lvl 50+) now and still havent finished the 9 successfull PvP WZs. When you face premade teams with fully balanced groups of healers and tanks protecting the healers theres just ZERO chance of winning as PUG team.

I just ask myself - Whats the point of this unbalance, Biware? Where is the fun for either part in these WZs? The Premades has far too easy mode and the PUGs has impossible mode.

Where is the FUN?

I agree with you, lowbie pvp was awesome, the premades are out of control and they really should be in their own que pitted against other premades.

Just did my 4 daily warzones. Every single one, was a full PUG up against at least one 3-man guild team or more. Usually the other side having multiple people with 18k health, and my side having people either with just 16k or less health, or absolutely no expertise. They were all just not fun.

I really enjoy SWTOR PVP. When it's evenly matched teams. But when it's not evenly matched, and you leap into battle only to get chained stunned and kill in 5 seconds. It's not fun one bit. :(

Bioware needs to get on the ball, and introduce better match-making. Actually matching skill vs skill, and premades vs premades.

i wish they'd make one WZ where everyone comes in wearing the same uniform, and no name tags. Just red and green tags. and the algorithm for this wz forces you to queue solo... just one wz where an outside communition like vent isnt an overwhelming advantage..

i wish they'd make one WZ where everyone comes in wearing the same uniform, and no name tags. Just red and green tags. and the algorithm for this wz forces you to queue solo... just one wz where an outside communition like vent isnt an overwhelming advantage..

vent is not really that great of an advantage in non-ranked WZs. when i do queue with friends/guildies in regular warzones there is a 98% chance im not in vent. and it doesnt hinder my perfomance at all.

vent is not really that great of an advantage in non-ranked WZs. when i do queue with friends/guildies in regular warzones there is a 98% chance im not in vent. and it doesnt hinder my perfomance at all.

It's a bigger advantage than you're giving it credit for. Good communication in general is key. And typing can replace voice chat. But with Vent, you can keep attacking while also calling out to the group.

Though most PUGs seem to be lacking ANY communication. It's frustrating when I'm the only one calling out in ops chat.

It's a bigger advantage than you're giving it credit for. Good communication in general is key. And typing can replace voice chat. But with Vent, you can keep attacking while also calling out to the group.

Though most PUGs seem to be lacking ANY communication. It's frustrating when I'm the only one calling out in ops chat.

in RWZ good communication is everything. in regular warzones, when at best you have half the team working together, it means significantly less. i am hardly in vent/ts when i queue with people. it doesnt stop me from being able to predict what theyre gonna do cuz i have grown familiar with playing with them. pulling off ridiculous things without communication is always fun :D

as far as call outs go, you can alter a config file to be able to zoom waaaaaaaaay out. that way you can see incomings long before hand, unless their stealth. in which case being able to type fast comes in handy ;)

also, anyone who has a keyboard/mouse with macro capability, maybe think about creating a macro that says "incoming eas/west/mid". that way you only have to hit one button to get out your important message.

but like you said, it doesnt matter how early or often you call out in chat. if your group members dont listen it doesnt matter. altho who is to say that if this game offered an in-game voip system that those same people would ignore that as well? you can lead a horse to water, but you cant make it drink :rolleyes:

btw, bioware failing to include ingame voip is a party foul imo. even swg had in-game voip, altho it was really sucky.

Edited by cashogy_reborn

so the whinners on this thread basically want people to NOT play with thier friends in a star wars large scale MMO

and fyi we arent in mumble/vent to "pwn the noobs with our sick stratz" , we do it to talk and have fun ,

and a premade of 2 is still a premade group, so most of you know its more fun to play with people