Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

pvp mercs any fun?

GBux
10.07.2013 , 10:48 AM | #1
So i am coming back to the game after about 8 months, and im trying to decide between my assassin, juggernaut, and merc to take to 55. I played a lot of jugg and assassin before i quit so i would like to try merc out in pvp. first can i play a non healer merc and be any good? from what i remember, you had to play pyro, and even if you did, you might as well me a pyrotech, because they did everything our shared tree did but better. Second, is merc a strictly ranged caster type class? (from what i remember, arsenal was) or can i play it in melee/mid range with little to no cast times? third, which i guess is an extension of my first question, will i be poo poo'ed on for being a merc in rateds, or will i be good enough to hold me own.

thank you in advance

oRubicon
10.07.2013 , 11:58 AM | #2
Honestly you shouldn't have any problems in Ranked PVP, the only thing that you may have to concern yourself with is the fact that you may be focused since you have the ability to off heal. To answer your question about the best spec, It really boils down to how you want to play, run and gun and throw dots on people or turret down and basically have a steady stream of dps. In most cases however you tend to just be running around and trying to not get killed. Overall I would say that the mercenary is a very fun class to play, all it really needs is some practice and you shouldn't have any issues with it. It is a ranged class after all so do try to keep people at a distance if you can help it . I would get into rotations and what not but I feel like that is where personal preference would take control, so just get out there and experiment man

Kaidensareno
10.07.2013 , 12:49 PM | #3
I heal and run the Arsenal tree on my Mercenary and do perfectly fine in PvP. Unless I'm stuck with a half premade group I usually am within the top 3 of DPS/Heals.

szczypaczek
10.07.2013 , 11:10 PM | #4
hehe merc aint good in 4v4 arenas, is one of the worst choices for a dps right now In 8v8 he is very strong
irn-ldy / commando

Discoteck
10.08.2013 , 02:23 AM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by szczypaczek View Post
hehe merc aint good in 4v4 arenas, is one of the worst choices for a dps right now In 8v8 he is very strong
Wrong.

I've had 3x more wins then i have had losses in solo arenas. And I'm just over 2/3 in group ranked.

Mercs i believe are super strong aside from when they come up against double smash or double assassin. Your net is possibly one of the most game changing moves in arenas especially when there is no tank on their side.

However arsenal is you only option as Pyro lacks burst and heals lacks survivability and is difficult to keep the rest of your team up when your being focused.

The worst dps choice for arenas would be the other dot specs and operatives, Sorcs are much squishier than Mercs aswell.

szczypaczek
10.08.2013 , 05:30 AM | #6
mercs are really strong when not focused, when enemy melees realize this they will sit on you all the time interrupting everything u cast. And every one knows that mercs do little dmg when forced to kite all the time.
irn-ldy / commando

Sylvane
10.08.2013 , 05:40 AM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by szczypaczek View Post
Merc dps is strong in 4v4 at the moment, the only thing that counters us is a good PT. If they stick 2 dps on you, your healer is free casting and your tank is harassing/cc'ing one of the dps. It may have to do with what kind of team you are running to be honest, I'm 43-3 in 4v4 when i pair up with a shadow dps so you may just want to change your team around.

Solo queues you pretty much are depending on your team to be hallway decent since you will be kiting most of the time.
JC
Sylvand-(Mando)<RG> / ommander(Merc) <COBRA>
Sylvane-(Sorcerer) <COBRA>
Xmot-(Jugg) <IBG>
Brohawk-(Sentinel)<RG> / Monky-(Marauder)<N2G>

BigDumbViking
10.08.2013 , 08:35 AM | #8
As stated earlier, electronet is huge in Arenas. With Power surge it's possible to get through nearly a full arsenal rotation on the run, and if there is a sorc in the group it's an autokill since they can't bubble through net.

All in all, aresenal is very viable, bodyguard is viable only if you have a VERY good tank with you to help mitigate burst. Pyro merc from what I can tell still isn't up to par.
YardstickAronhernandezM'argarita
StringcheeseBibi'fetSneak'y Viking
Dck Trombone

Choffware
10.08.2013 , 08:58 AM | #9
I have to echo that for solo ranked I'm also doing very well. I have over 2x as many wins as losses. If you are focused with no healer you are toast but so is almost every other class. I disagree about the low damage on kiting. You do less damage of course but it's still packs a punch. Plus if you kite properly they are doing none.
Mantorin 55 Marauder || Choff lvl 55 Merc || Chof lvl 51 Sorc

szczypaczek
10.08.2013 , 11:12 AM | #10
while kiting u do very low dmg. U can use only HSM, RS and Sticky Dart and rocket punch in melee range + basic attack that's far away from huge dmg. I don't know vs which team u guys play, but any decent melees wont let u cast anything making ur dmg less then medicore. Again sorc can break ur en and bubble anyway. Merc is good when left alone, when focused u wont be dealign enough dmg to put a pressure on the target you are trying to kill.
irn-ldy / commando