Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Min/Max our PVP gear Tutorial

cashogy_reborn
10.21.2013 , 10:44 AM | #21
Quote: Originally Posted by Vangalius View Post
Alright, quick question. I just dinged 55 on my Merc after taking a few months off from the game. So I'm noticing just now that you can no longer get ranked earpieces, implants, or relics without first buying the non-ranked version.

That throws a monkey wrench in my normal PvP gearing strategy, so what should I spend my 4500 ranked comms on first? Main hand weapon? I am not planning on healing.
IMO, convert all those RWZ comms back to WZ comms. In total that gives you 7250 comms to spend right away on Conqueror gear, which gives you a very good start to being geared properly for PvP. Its more important to get to 2018 expertise as quickly as possible than to get the Ranked Mainhand.
Dany - Attomm - Dan'y - Fogel
The Original Stormborn Commando Representative
The King of Bads

Vangalius
10.22.2013 , 11:05 AM | #22
Quote: Originally Posted by cashogy_reborn View Post
IMO, convert all those RWZ comms back to WZ comms. In total that gives you 7250 comms to spend right away on Conqueror gear, which gives you a very good start to being geared properly for PvP. Its more important to get to 2018 expertise as quickly as possible than to get the Ranked Mainhand.
Thanks, that makes sense.

Cinnagar
10.23.2013 , 09:10 AM | #23
Quote: Originally Posted by DarthBloodloss View Post
+15% makes your rail shot crit 1 out of 7 times more than it would have otherwise. So in a fight that lasts a minute and a half, you get one extra crit.
Not the right way to think about it. You have to consider what your critical strike chance is before the extra 15% on that ability. Assuming it's 24% as stated earlier in the thread, this 15% now gives you 39% chance to crit with one ability. Rounding down to 30%, this means on average you will crit once with RS every 3 activations.

Quote: Originally Posted by DarthBloodloss
But I'll do the math for you, but only once more. +15% is roughly 1 in 7. You are gaining 1 extra crit out of 7 rail shots. Using 7 railshots on cooldown takes 1minute, 24seconds.
Your math is fine - your conclusion is what appears to be giving cashogy cancer. By your math, you have just gained an extra crit, on average, with RS ever 1.5 minutes. Another way to explain it: the other team has a merc too, with the 2pc HO bonus. He activates HO, your team calls to switch targets, your RS crits, new target dies. By taking the 4pc, 15% bonus to RS, you have just doubled the statistical probability that this happens. Doubled.

Thus, this is why cashogy makes the point he makes. Burst makes coordinated target switches much more deadly. Doubling your chance of landing big burst is a big deal.

Transcendent
10.23.2013 , 11:03 AM | #24
Quote: Originally Posted by DarthBloodloss View Post
Does anyone know the rough amount the Crit Relic increases your crit by when it procs? Not the value of the crit stat, but the actual percentage gains? Like 5%? or 10%? I'm hoping its low....because if its high I might just have to switch. Thanks
It boosts your crit value by 425 (30% chance, but fairly frequent in procs even with the 20s CD in my experience) You'll have to work out what that is % wise based on your actual crit value. It's pretty much a no-brainer to use it if your base crit value is low (i.e. if you're invested in power / surge).

It's worthwhile having alongside the SA relic, especially when they both crit, and you also have a set bonus available and that 1 in 7 rail shot crits

Have some faith in what Cashogy is trying to explain to you

cashogy_reborn
10.23.2013 , 05:27 PM | #25
If you have zero crit in your build, the Crit Proc relic gives ~7% increase to overall crit chance.

Ive been using it since 2.4 came out, I would definitely suggest taking it. Its a red icon as well so is easily spotted on the bar, and with how often it procs (~30% uptime) its very easy to coordinate your large burst attacks with it to help them crit more often.
Dany - Attomm - Dan'y - Fogel
The Original Stormborn Commando Representative
The King of Bads

orryko
10.24.2013 , 09:50 AM | #26
i would be curious to see arena videos from all the people proclaiming success in this thread. my merc is my alt so i've never posted here, but as far as i know, i'm the only arsenal merc who is doing as well (undefeated so far in 4s). i'm only speaking about 4s, because who cares about unranked or wz...you can be naked and still win

check out mudclot's and insomniaq's streams and videos for proof

anyway...

i gear for 25% crit (including stim). i have one accuracy enhancement because i noticed my unload and railshot missing more often when i didn't (which puts you at 95%). all aim augments. every mod is high power except for one which is high aim low crit (this gives you 25% exactly with stim and i like my round numbers). i also use one power/alacrity enhancement so my tracer missile shows as 1.4 on the cast bar instead of 1.5. it makes a huge difference to me

not saying my stats are gospel, just saying what makes me feel well rounded and what has been working

4 pc eliminator FOR SURE. if you watch the streams, our job is to switch and burst. sometimes you kill someone by 1% and sometimes you miss by that. properly geared, you give your railshot a 40% chance to crit, not including relic procs.

merc has all the tools already to survive long enough, and besides, what are your teammates doing? lowering your burst to run around more makes you a mobile punching bag. a good merc knows when to stand still and bang and when to run, and trust me, we don't need to run very often. again, what are your teammates doing?

for the relics, obviously SA but i use main stat. my reasoning...while we are very tanky in arena, against good teams, you will spend a lot of that time cc'd. 6 seconds is too short especially with cast times. if i was pyro, i might think about using the crit relic. 12 seconds gives you a much bigger window and because 7% crit doesn't make much of a difference when you're already at 25% + depending on ability, i'd rather be doing more damage per shot in case i don't crit. i've gotten numerous 10k hsm and 7k railshots against full expertise people in arena (on the streams as well)

hopefully this wall of text helps clear things up for some people