Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

1 point in First Responder talent seems to be better than advertised

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes > Commando / Mercenary
1 point in First Responder talent seems to be better than advertised

alex_cpa
10.24.2013 , 04:05 PM | #1
I was a bit skeptical of using the commando build of 6/36/4, with 1 point in the First Responder talent to gain a 50% chance (upon a critical hit) to increase my alacrity by 3% for 6 seconds. I could see how having 2 pistols as a merc would allow for a better chance for this to occur, i.e. merc's offhand pistol has a chance to crit. And therefore make the up time good enough to offset the extra 1% alacrity I would be giving up.

So I decided to go out to Torparse and pick a high dps op dummy parse. I picked this one http://www.torparse.com/a/446581/1

When looking at the actual log, what I found surprised me. First responder upon a crit hit was yielding the increased alacrity, which is no surprise. But the DURATION of the First Responder was sometimes much longer than 6 seconds, i.e 12, 19, 48 seconds.

So I looked at some high merc parses too. The same thing is occurring on the merc parses as well.

What I don't understand is why is it lasting longer than 6 seconds, and why is it sometimes lasting 12 seconds and sometimes 48 seconds?

Bottom line, I guess I'm going to move 1 point from 'Weapon Calibrations' to 'First Responder'.

Delaoron
10.25.2013 , 05:07 AM | #2
I'd say the effect can refresh itself when you have additional crits & procs during the 6 seconds uptime. The ability has no internal cooldown, so with enough luck you could have the effect active the whole fight.
The Stellaro Legacy on Jar'Kai Sword // Guild: Jen'jidai
Delaoron - Commando Eteral - Shadow Kyola - Gunslinger Seviem - Sage
Ody - Guardian Fez - Scoundrel Quenda - Vanguard Shosha - Sentinel
Wolfe - Sniper Xuun - Sorcerer Ardjor - Marauder Rendor - Powertech

BobaFaceroll
10.25.2013 , 08:16 AM | #3
That is correct. Since you already have the effect you will not see "Gains blahblah" in the log, it will just quietly keep your current effect active.

TheSupaCoopa
10.27.2013 , 06:26 PM | #4
Yeah, First Responder is one of the best talents in the game.
The Valiance Legacy, Begeren Colony
"I don't get paid to do the easy jobs, ma'am."- Republic Trooper
Current 50's and 55's

vPLethality AmillarArturon

cashogy_reborn
10.28.2013 , 11:50 AM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by TheSupaCoopa View Post
Yeah, First Responder is one of the best talents in the game.
It would be if alacrity was not such a terrible stat.
Dany - Attomm - Dan'y - Fogel
The Original Stormborn Commando Representative
The King of Bads

Malckiah
11.01.2013 , 01:32 PM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by cashogy_reborn View Post
It would be if alacrity was not such a terrible stat.
Alacrity has been better for some time now....and is certainly not a terrible stat....lol