Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Infiltration Shadow Spec

leptir
01.23.2013 , 11:13 PM | #1
I'm playing as an infiltration shadow currently at lv 23. I've decided to roll with this spec
http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#60...rRzfbRboZf0c.2 but i'm not sure how effective it is in the higher levels since talents such as situational awareness aren't spec'd. I'm also thinking if applied force is worth some points and if 6% armor penetration won't leave me to die at higher levels. Any so called "pros" got any suggestions? I'm mainly playing PVE,wanting to become a good player in any group, but I also play a little PVP

firestarter
01.24.2013 , 02:05 AM | #2
Quote: Originally Posted by leptir View Post
I'm playing as an infiltration shadow currently at lv 23. I've decided to roll with this spec
http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#60...rRzfbRboZf0c.2 but i'm not sure how effective it is in the higher levels since talents such as situational awareness aren't spec'd. I'm also thinking if applied force is worth some points and if 6% armor penetration won't leave me to die at higher levels. Any so called "pros" got any suggestions? I'm mainly playing PVE,wanting to become a good player in any group, but I also play a little PVP
Looks ok. What I did is 0 31 10 ( 2 points from KC into Psychokinesis)
or you can use Shin'arikas build 0 27 14 and get FIB instead of Clairvoiant Strike ( http://swtor.askmrrobot.com/skills/S...8cf78cif-8830f ).

I play 0 27 14 mostely to be honest. Its so much fun.

Kitru
01.24.2013 , 02:29 AM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by firestarter View Post
Looks ok. What I did is 0 31 10 ( 2 points from cc into Psychokinesis)
Psychokinesis isn't worth it for Infiltration since you're only getting the benefit of reduced cost on Project, which is already being reduced pretty drastically by Circling Shadows. It's a better use of the 2 points to get Technique Mastery for the 6% arpen, largely because so much of your damage (CS, Project, Shadow Strike, Saber Strike; e.g. everything except for the stance proc and Force Breach) is Kinetic and, as such, benefits from that bit of arpen.
Walls of Text? I *love* Walls of Text!
My New Class Idea
Shadow Class Rep - Suggest/Review Questions Here
Quote: Originally Posted by Fende View Post
Listen to Kitru. Kitru knows all.

firestarter
01.24.2013 , 02:35 AM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by Kitru View Post
Psychokinesis isn't worth it for Infiltration since you're only getting the benefit of reduced cost on Project, which is already being reduced pretty drastically by Circling Shadows. It's a better use of the 2 points to get Technique Mastery for the 6% arpen, largely because so much of your damage (CS, Project, Shadow Strike, Saber Strike; e.g. everything except for the stance proc and Force Breach) is Kinetic and, as such, benefits from that bit of arpen.
I found myself running out of force pretty fast with the full 31 point build thats why I used it for the reduced cost on Project. But as your posts are always informative and well thought Ill try your suggestion.

But honestly Ill run 0 27 14 most of the time anyways. Fits my gameplay better.

Evolixe
01.24.2013 , 04:55 AM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by Kitru View Post
I would sooner put those 2 points into Applied Force instead. Way more powerful than 6% ArP.

Kitru
01.24.2013 , 11:20 AM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by firestarter View Post
I found myself running out of force pretty fast with the full 31 point build thats why I used it for the reduced cost on Project.
If you're running out of Force on Infiltration, you're doing it wrong. Infiltration has *so many* Force maintenance tools that, unless you're doing it wrong, you should be swimming in Force most of the time. Pretty much the only way that I can think of would be if you use Shadow Strike without Find Weakness and refuse to use Force Breach on CD (Force Breach is your cheapest, heaviest hitter and, as such, should be used on CD rather than waiting for the miniscule increase in damage afforded by 1-2 more stacks of Exit Strategy). Blackout and Force Cloak should both be used as Force maintenance tools pretty much on CD when Shadow's Respite isn't up (enter combat out of stealth, Blackout at 6 seconds, Force Cloak at 12 seconds, Blackout again at 18 seconds, Blackout again at 63 seconds, Blackout at 108 seconds, Force Cloak at 114 seconds, Blackout at 120 seconds, etc.).
My New Class Idea

Kitru
01.24.2013 , 11:37 AM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by Evolixe View Post
I would sooner put those 2 points into Applied Force instead. Way more powerful than 6% ArP.
6% arpen might not seem like much but it augments everything you use except for Force Breach and your stance proc by roughly 2.6%; historically, I've vacillated between which to take because there isn't a well defined "best" between the two (it's really hard to find a parse that doesn't make major mistakes like overusing CS, Shadow Strike, or underusing Force Breach). I've largely settled on Technique Mastery because the optimal rotation for Infiltration actually puts CS *really* low on your priority and attaches a qualifier that requires you have more than 30 Force before using it (since it's, honestly, your most inefficient ability and you always want to have the Force on hand to use any of your other abilities). As such, it's going to comprise a much lower total percent of your DPS than you would probably expect, especially since, in the execute range, you're using half as many CSs (since Spinning Strike replaces one of them).
My New Class Idea

Evolixe
01.24.2013 , 01:38 PM | #8
Perhaps i am stuck too much with how things used to work in my former mmo, but shock is affected by armor aswell then i guess?

Kitru
01.24.2013 , 01:44 PM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by Evolixe View Post
Perhaps i am stuck too much with how things used to work in my former mmo, but shock is affected by armor aswell then i guess?
It's a bit inaccurate to say "affected by armor" since what you're really saying is "affected by K/E damage reduction" (of which armor is a substantial, but not exclusive, portion of). All attacks are subject to the relevant damage reduction of their damage type: Shock/Project are reduced by K/E DR since they deal K/E damage. As such, yes, they benefit from arpen since arpen acts as a percent reduction of total DR (with the armor debuff, enemies have roughly 30% K/E DR, which, with 6% arpen, gets reduced to 28.2%, which is a ~2.6% increase in total damage dealt.
My New Class Idea

leptir
01.26.2013 , 03:47 PM | #10
bump /10char