Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Server Merge Discussion Thread

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Server Merge Discussion Thread
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

TUXs's Avatar


TUXs
06.21.2017 , 10:04 AM | #1001
Quote: Originally Posted by casirabit View Post
And what evidence do you have that they would even do this?
Huh? I said they NEED to...not that they would.

They NEED to. If they did, we could all coexist without the fear you have of people ruining RP. They should have been from day 1.
All warfare is based on deception If his forces are united, separate them If you are far from the enemy, make him believe you are near A leader leads by example not by force
My referral code: here What you get: here (1 FREE transfer 7-day FREE sub FREE Jumpstart and Preferred Bundles)

dscount's Avatar


dscount
06.21.2017 , 10:09 AM | #1002
I hold nothing against RP folks. They should have a "Safe Space" to play the game.

BUT

This is a business model that needs some help and having systems up and running JUST for any one specific gamestyle/play seems a tad overboard.

I'm in total agreement that we need to see a solid merge of ALL the servers into large regional hosted. PVE/PVP/RP with some consideration taken for each playstyle ON those merged environments. Sorry, but I just don't think it's a good use of limited BW funding to have servers with very limited people on them.
Reference Link: Why not? http://www.swtor.com/r/FDltnT
WTB Legacy Bound Ear, Implants, Relics

casirabit's Avatar


casirabit
06.21.2017 , 10:13 AM | #1003
Quote: Originally Posted by dscount View Post
I hold nothing against RP folks. They should have a "Safe Space" to play the game.

BUT

This is a business model that needs some help and having systems up and running JUST for any one specific gamestyle/play seems a tad overboard.

I'm in total agreement that we need to see a solid merge of ALL the servers into large regional hosted. PVE/PVP/RP with some consideration taken for each playstyle ON those merged environments. Sorry, but I just don't think it's a good use of limited BW funding to have servers with very limited people on them.
And while there are some that needed merging NOT all servers do but yet it seems some people keep insisting all servers should be merged into one. That is not true. Some servers are doing just fine but when you say this people ignore you just like you are doing. Sorry I don't think it is a good idea to merge everyone onto one server either.
A girl should be two things: classy and fabulous. A girl should also always be a lady even when arguing. If you like redheads click my Referral link Referral: http://www.swtor.com/r/VkfKqj https://poshmark.com/closet/tmcevoy1121

TyonYlle's Avatar


TyonYlle
06.21.2017 , 10:14 AM | #1004
Quote: Originally Posted by Andryah View Post
Indeed. Sadly, there are players in MMOs that hate RPers and will go out of their way to try to grief them.

Besides, there is no way to effectively police live chat channels anyway, with so many players online at one time. If there was, then all MMOs would be doing it as social misbehavior it is a constant point of discord with players.

The current method of /report followed by studio review and action is actually the norm for MMOs, and it does deal with the offenders that are indeed crossing the line and needing sanction... just not in real time.
It might be totally different for a pretty obvious reason, and admittedly I'm helping the other side's argument rather then mine ahaha but PokeMMO (which I rarely play these days) actually does that, they have mods/admins on.

Quote: Originally Posted by TUXs View Post
Huh? I said they NEED to...not that they would.

They NEED to. If they did, we could all coexist without the fear you have of people ruining RP. They should have been from day 1.
Hopefully they might soon start with the changing of the guard, and the vast improvements already. Then I would feel comfortable, of course, to change my stance on "instanced RP" especially if we can set it to load into the instance by default would be a huge plus!

HuaRya's Avatar


HuaRya
06.21.2017 , 10:17 AM | #1005
Quote: Originally Posted by TUXs View Post
It's a cosmetic item. I understand players attachments to them, but I fail to see how any decoration should ever get in the way of doing what is right for this game. Having a dozen literally dead servers is unhealthy and needs to be addressed. Leaving those servers open does more harm than good.
And that is pretty much philosophical crux of the situation. There are people that realize what is good for the game and then there are people who only think of their specific needs.
I grok in fullness.
― Robert A. Heinlein, Stranger in a Strange Land

casirabit's Avatar


casirabit
06.21.2017 , 10:19 AM | #1006
Quote: Originally Posted by TUXs View Post
Huh? I said they NEED to...not that they would.

They NEED to. If they did, we could all coexist without the fear you have of people ruining RP. They should have been from day 1.
And you know what is funny, I was never really worried about my roleplay experience until recently when we started talking about server mergers and to see how some people think about roleplayers. You see I always believed it didn't matter how you played the game as long as you played and were happy but that has changed when I have seen on this forum how some people view roleplayers and think of us as second class citizens and think we don't do group activities, etc. Just because we have our own way of doing things doesn't mean we should be pushed into a corner because we do things differently. Now I do worry about my roleplay because of some of these people on here.

I also did an experiment on Harbinger. I made a character, level through Tython and went to the fleet to check out things. What I found was disappointing. When I asked about roleplay I was told to shut up that roleplayers are not welcome there and the attitude I found I am still shaking my head about. I logged out and deleted that toon never to set foot again there.
A girl should be two things: classy and fabulous. A girl should also always be a lady even when arguing. If you like redheads click my Referral link Referral: http://www.swtor.com/r/VkfKqj https://poshmark.com/closet/tmcevoy1121

TUXs's Avatar


TUXs
06.21.2017 , 10:32 AM | #1007
Quote: Originally Posted by casirabit View Post
And you know what is funny, I was never really worried about my roleplay experience until recently when we started talking about server mergers and to see how some people think about roleplayers. You see I always believed it didn't matter how you played the game as long as you played and were happy but that has changed when I have seen on this forum how some people view roleplayers and think of us as second class citizens and think we don't do group activities, etc. Just because we have our own way of doing things doesn't mean we should be pushed into a corner because we do things differently. Now I do worry about my roleplay because of some of these people on here.

I also did an experiment on Harbinger. I made a character, level through Tython and went to the fleet to check out things. What I found was disappointing. When I asked about roleplay I was told to shut up that roleplayers are not welcome there and the attitude I found I am still shaking my head about. I logged out and deleted that toon never to set foot again there.
My suggestion, that they need to police the game, helps everyone...RP'ers, PvP'ers, PvE'ers, or just general chatter'ers on planets and Fleet.

The reality of this game is, the populations don't support the number of servers we have - I don't care if you RP, PvP or PvE, we have too freaking many servers and it has become a cancer. I wish we had the populations to support the 218 we had at launch...but we don't...we never will. Change needs to happen.
All warfare is based on deception If his forces are united, separate them If you are far from the enemy, make him believe you are near A leader leads by example not by force
My referral code: here What you get: here (1 FREE transfer 7-day FREE sub FREE Jumpstart and Preferred Bundles)

HuaRya's Avatar


HuaRya
06.21.2017 , 10:42 AM | #1008
Quote: Originally Posted by casirabit View Post
And you know what is funny, I was never really worried about my roleplay experience until recently when we started talking about server mergers and to see how some people think about roleplayers. You see I always believed it didn't matter how you played the game as long as you played and were happy but that has changed when I have seen on this forum how some people view roleplayers and think of us as second class citizens and think we don't do group activities, etc. Just because we have our own way of doing things doesn't mean we should be pushed into a corner because we do things differently. Now I do worry about my roleplay because of some of these people on here.
That's kind of your own self projection. You want to think of yourselves as second class citizens so you can rally people to your cause as some kind of underdog. In reality nobody really cares and have also been equally grieved in the game in different ways. Someone stood on the bar while you were rp'ing at the fleet bar? BFD Imagine doing a NIM operation on master looter that took 6 hours only to have the lead take all the best loot for their selves. That is just an example but I'll take someone standing on the bar any day over that.

....................

Mainly it's about this game having way way way too many servers and the viable population as a whole (i.e. crafters, pvp'ers, nim raiders, gsf'ers, people leveling, gtn sellers, people who only play flashpoints, guild recruiters) would all benefit from consolidating servers.

The people opposed:
1) players who love privacy and feel threatened ( in an mmo)
2) players who have 50+ alts
3) people who have amassed a lot of decorations on their guildship (solely the property of the gm)
I grok in fullness.
― Robert A. Heinlein, Stranger in a Strange Land

Icykill_'s Avatar


Icykill_
06.21.2017 , 10:49 AM | #1009
Let me quote something from another thread that has the same relevance with this discussion..

Quote: Originally Posted by Icykill_ View Post
... the game is now more dependent than ever on a symbiosis of pve (OPs), pve (story) and pvp because we have such a low population.
Which ever part people play and like or hate is just as important as the other parts. I think once people get that through their heads they may realise there is more to keeping this game a float than just their self interested part of the game.
It's why server merges, server population density and activity are such a hot topic and why there is no consensus on why it's actually an issue for certain parts of the player base.
People are so focused on their part of the game that they forget that other people don't all play the same part as them. EVERY part of this game is just as important as another, we may not play it, we may not understand the attraction to it and we may hate it, but just losing one section of the community will sink this game. We are already running on fumes and we cannot afford to hold to our own petty differences anymore.
We are all entitled to our opinions and healthy discussions to promote our part of the game, but we should not be telling others that our part of the game is more self entitled than the next.
Changes to the game should take into account all aspects of the player base. I think most rational people here understand that and want what's best for the game. Occasionally some very small changes affect others unintentionally, that cannot not always be helped, but at least Bio seem to be trying to minimise those,
Class balance is one of those things that is going to affect some people more than others. What I think lots of us are trying to do is point out why we think there are some flaws in the process to actually minimise those disruptions. I think that is something people are forgetting.
Now that was in the class balance thread.. but it's the same here.
We cannot keep holding to our own petty differences about which part of the game is more important. ALL parts of the game are important.
There is a major issue with population density and activity. I think any rational person can see that even if it doesn't affect their part of the game. Without a fix for that, the game is doomed. I don't know exactly what the fix should be, but something needs to happen soon of we won't have a game. That may mean some compromises from some people to allow the game to stay viable. There is no silver bullet to fix this issue, it's just a fact.
I'm sure Bio don't want to lose anymore players and doing a merge is risky "if" they don't do it right and put safe guards in place to minimise disruption to all parts of the game. If there is another viable and economical way they can fix this issue besides mergers I think they should/would take it. But I can't think of what that would be now. Cross server (in regions only) may have worked 12 months ago, but not now, there just isn't eneough people anymore,

If I were to step out of this situation as a player and look at it from a economic business perspective and risk management plan. I would conclude that the business is wasting money by running so many servers with so few people on them. That is just a hard fact, wether it's palatable or not. But I would also look at my risk management plan to see what closing or merging those servers does vs keeping them open to the bottom line of the business and would the business still be viable if that were to happen.
It will come down to risk vs cost vs viability.
If it's likely to kill the business by merging the servers they won't do it unless that is already in the plan.
If merging keeps the business viable and the costs lower vs the risk of losing some players and they still come out in front, then they'll probably take that path.
If leaving things as they are allows them to keep them game running longer and making more money than it would from merging, then they'll do that.

I've said it before and I'll say it again because I care what happens to this game. We should stop bickering with each other on whose part of the game is the most important and why its impossible for mergers to happen or why they should happen at the expense of others.
What we should be doing is having a list of things to present to Bioware about our concerns with population density, game activity and risks involved in mergers. This way they can have a "player feed back check list" to go through and tick off as they have their internal discussions on what they intend to do.
As it stands this thread is a disgrace and I wouldn't pay any attention to it either if I was Keith.

How about we try a different approach and recognise that all parts of the game are equal and everyone's concerns are valid.
RIP APAC Players 😢😢😢😢💦
Please click this Refer a Friend link for free stuff

shalea's Avatar


shalea
06.21.2017 , 10:51 AM | #1010
Wouldn't just offering perminant free transfers be a better idea than forced server merges? If people feel like they want to be on a higher pop server they can transfer and if they don't want to they can stay. I know with transfers you could loose guilds/SH's/ ships and stuff but you'd probably lose them with a server merge any way?
refer link yay free stuff

http://www.swtor.com/r/y4QdLb