Newb here: Why is the new expansion not free for subscribers?

--Morpheus--

The Rise of the Hutt Cartel was free. Forgive my ignorance I've only been playing for 3 months. This is my first mmo and I only took the plunge because its StarWars. I had been considering pre-ordering so that I could level a bunch of characters that I thought I'd probably never get to. Then it occurred to me that I might have to drop the 20$ regardless if I wanted the expansion. Now I'm almost certain that's the case. I'm also certain I didn't pay for the last expansion so what gives? Also, why can't we buy the new expansion via cartel coins?

The Rise of the Hutt Cartel was free. Forgive my ignorance I've only been playing for 3 months. This is my first mmo and I only took the plunge because its StarWars. I had been considering pre-ordering so that I could level a bunch of characters that I thought I'd probably never get to. Then it occurred to me that I might have to drop the 20$ regardless if I wanted the expansion. Now I'm almost certain that's the case. I'm also certain I didn't pay for the last expansion so what gives? Also, why can't we buy the new expansion via cartel coins?

It wasn't free for months after the initial release for subscribers.

It wasn't free for months after the initial release for subscribers.

And we can't buy the expansion with Cartel Coins because you get a stipend of CC for a) having a subscription and b) having a security key. In essence, a CC transaction is liable to make the expansion "free" in a way that is unacceptable to the accounting, as CC is not a real money.

When it was first released it cost subscribers. It was until about 5-6 months later that it became free and they have never had expansion cost cartel coins. Cartel coins shouldn't be used for expansions due to the fact most subs get 500-600 coins per month anyways.

Edited by ScarletBlaze

When it was first released it cost subscribers. It was until about 5-6 months later that it became free and they have never had expansion cost cartel coins. Cartel coins shouldn't be used for expansions due to the fact most subs get 500-600 coins per month anyways.

^ This!

And even F2P and Preferred players can earn 100 CC per month if they added a security key to their account. I didn't play the game for 2 years and continued to earn 100CC each month in a game I wasn't playing just for having added the mobile app security key to my account before the game ever went free to play. It was quite nice too when I decided to return the game and found that 2400 CC waiting for me.

Why do people keep asking this? Blizzard takes about twice as much for their expansions, no one cares. Bioware want people to pay for their expansions and everyone loses their minds.

You have a strange defintion of losing one's mind. I was just asking the question because I'm new and didn't understand why the 1st expansion was free for me as a subscriber.

Thanks to all for the replies. How much did they ask for Hutt Cartel expansion at launch?

You have a strange defintion of losing one's mind. I was just asking the question because I'm new and didn't understand why the 1st expansion was free for me as a subscriber.

Thanks to all for the replies. How much did they ask for Hutt Cartel expansion at launch?

it was $20 f2p and $10 for sub

Why in hell would an expansion be free for a sub game even none PC games charge for DLC lmao that I think finalized my list of *** more can you complain about

Well BW has a weird way of labeling expansions. GSF and GSH were basically glorified major updates but BW labeled them as expansions. They were also free. RoTHC was made free only a few short months after it went live.

I'll be honest, I was surprised SoR had a price tag on it given what they did with RoTHC. I assumed they were going to route of not charging for expansion anymore. Not that I mind as SoR is more of an actual expansion than a major update though it obviously doesnt scale to a real expansion though so the $20 is reasonable imo.

I'll just be happy if this expansion isn't littered with cartel market stuff. GSF and GSH having almost purely cartel market vibes to them was understandable since they were free. Guess we'll find out in December.

It wasn't free. Many of us paid for it. It only became free, after it'd been out for a while.

The reason they charge money, is so they can pay for the work done on the expansion. There isn't a room full of chimps that crank things out for free for us. The chimps demand paying. And I will gladly pay those chimps whatever it takes to keep the content coming, as I enjoy it.

Really, twenty dollars isn't that much. Not even thirty, which is closer to what I pre paid when you consider exchange and taxes. You spend oodles of hours playing...frankly designer coffee is more expensive, when you consider time spent and enjoyment. :)

It wasn't free. Many of us paid for it. It only became free, after it'd been out for a while.

The reason they charge money, is so they can pay for the work done on the expansion. There isn't a room full of chimps that crank things out for free for us. The chimps demand paying. And I will gladly pay those chimps whatever it takes to keep the content coming, as I enjoy it.

Really, twenty dollars isn't that much. Not even thirty, which is closer to what I pre paid when you consider exchange and taxes. You spend oodles of hours playing...frankly designer coffee is more expensive, when you consider time spent and enjoyment. :)

^^^ This person gets it. Value. What you get here is value. Nobody bats and eye and will pay 8 DOLLARS for a 20oz coffee and do this 3x a week, yet a game developer asks for a ONE TIME PURCHASE of 19.99 and suddenly they are capitalist pigs who should give everything the create for free. I would happily pay 49.97 for this expansion. Its recreation and I play it EVERY DAY which makes ifs VALUE beyond ANYTHING you can ask for when compared to a similar product (Movies, Board games, Books, Netflix.).

The Rise of the Hutt Cartel was free. Forgive my ignorance I've only been playing for 3 months. This is my first mmo and I only took the plunge because its StarWars. I had been considering pre-ordering so that I could level a bunch of characters that I thought I'd probably never get to.

Then it occurred to me that I might have to drop the 20$ regardless if I wanted the expansion. Now I'm almost certain that's the case. I'm also certain I didn't pay for the last expansion so what gives? Also, why can't we buy the new expansion via cartel coins?

For some additional backstory (which other people have kind of said):

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Star_Wars:_The_Old_Republic:_Rise_of_the_Hutt_Cartel

Star Wars: The Old Republic: Rise of the Hutt Cartel is the first digital expansion pack to the MMORPG Star Wars: The Old Republic, released on April 14, 2013.

http://www.swtor.com/info/news/news-article/20130910

Beginning September 12, 2013, active Subscribers will receive the first Digital Expansion: Rise of the Hutt Cartel free of charge as a newly added benefit to the Subscriber Rewards Program

It's actually a smaller gap than the previous commenter noted (5 months vs. 6) and way shorter than I was remembering.

Anyway. Given the track record, odds are good that somewhere down the line, they're likely to start giving away SoR for free like they are/did RotHC, but you'd likely have to wait 5-6+ months for it to happen. Like people who didn't pony up for RotHC, you'd be stuck at Level 55 while you wait and a good majority of people have progressed to Level 60.

Edited by AlixMV

Bioware want people to pay for their expansions and everyone loses their minds.

Unfortunately some people think that making stupid comments like that somehow helps them win an argument. Obviously that isn't true, but you did the right thing by calling him on his BS.

Edited by The_Grand_Nagus

Bioware want people to pay for their expansions and everyone loses their minds.

Marvel as absolutely everyone "loses their minds".

It has nothing to do with one person asking a simple question. He started later and didn't realise people paid for Makeb originally.

Nope, can't be that, must be the entirety of the games population "losing their minds".

1. RotHC went free after 7 months, I paid $10 for it.

2. Because of Friend Referals I suspect BW doesn't want expansions to be CC purchasable.

3. I think that SoR should be $10 for subs as well, but I've already pre-ordered to get the x12xp so too late.