An open letter to our players

BenIrving

• Replies 668
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If he's talking about completing chapter 3, I'm guessing he must be referring to something else. Not sure what though.

Falo - if you're on SL or Harb hit me up, I'll help ya out with whatever you need

He did specifically state Ilum though which is kind of chapter 3 prologue! I know I had a issue there at one point so I guessed that.

well i have been here since 2011. i played WOW for 9 years a friend of mine told me we were getting ripped off in this game.but i didnt believe him then he pointed out for 16 chapters we payed $240.00.and WOW charges 39.99 for a full expansion with new raids quests and heroics.and us we got 2 new warzones and 6 SF and a bunch of companions we cant customize gear wise like you said we could players have been asking for new OPPS and FPs and content missions and we would like to customize lana and therons gear and you bring new stuff out that cost us more money like tuning have you priced them on the GTN players are outrageous with there prices you think we would have been given one of them instead of mounts and gear but i guess we dont rate.i love this game but im starting to feel your taking more then giving. and then the live stream what a joke he talked about spiderman and him self nothing about the game really and he must have had at least 1500 to 2000 viewers and only the select few got something how many were F2P that dont contribute at all to the game.he could of said TY with a code for everyone.maybe im only one person that feels this way but really its just sad.but im still here and paying you my money.too many things in your game are repetitive.anyway ty for your time although i dont really think you guys care.

So I've been a sub for a few years now, and To be quiet honest I've never had a complaint about this game in my personal opinion Till now. As stated I love this game, more then any other mmo that I have played in the past, but here recently, Swtor has gotten old, yes the old ops are challenging, but at the same time it just get old, Myself and guildies have kept our ears to the ground in hopes of seeing a new ops emerge out of this. we grinded on a nightly bases to get 224 gear, to run through story content, only to find there's not much holding our interest, we have to wait a month for a story to come out, in between those chapters we run ops, most of us do pvp, but even that's getting old very quick seeing that how the past times i have pvp'd it's taken me to the newer pvp maps which is just way to huge to even really do anything with. and at this point i find myself re-rolling different classes multiple times to have something to do. and now that I've seen the 4.5 changes I'm not entirely sure what to think about it, and it's a nerf that i feel will throw the game off further from where it should be as an mmo. while the game has under went some seriously needed changes, I Feel it's more focused around single player content a bit too much, the chapters are ok at this point (having number of different toons and re-running those stories) it just gets old. I feel group content at this point has gone out the window, and re-hashed in to "more challenging ops" well it's not much of a challenge when you know the mechanics, you know the fights, about the only thing challenging about it is if you ask a healer to stop healing for a moment (no joke). Yes i'm whining about ops and how we need new ops, or something other then this game turning in to a single player game, or a heavy pvp game. while I appreciate the time the developers take to create this game and content and address something, it's been made clear that this year it was about the story, (which is all the same) ops (which is all the same) even some of the armor is rehashed......at this point I'm wondering if it's even worth staying in or staying subbed for rehashed content. but whatever my choice is for this game is, it's been fun.

Interestingly, I was talking to the members of my old ops group, and six of them have unsubbed. The one (besides me) who hasn't says he hasn't touched the story because he doesn't want to be part of the metric that says the new single player is what the players want. I know it's just an anecdote, but man, I really don't encounter a lot of the positive attitude that Ben is talking about.

Interestingly, I was talking to the members of my old ops group, and six of them have unsubbed. The one (besides me) who hasn't says he hasn't touched the story because he doesn't want to be part of the metric that says the new single player is what the players want. I know it's just an anecdote, but man, I really don't encounter a lot of the positive attitude that Ben is talking about.

Because I've been subscribed all through it, no doubt I'm included in the success metrics. If it only takes into account sub is required for KotFE so sub = KotFE approval. It doesn't matter that I've not touched KotFE on any of my 11 characters.

I can't say I approve of the story or not since I do not trust the (lack of) QA to preserve the choices/romances/stories I've built on those characters for the last 3 years.

:(

So I've been a sub for a few years now, and To be quiet honest I've never had a complaint about this game in my personal opinion Till now. As stated I love this game, more then any other mmo that I have played in the past, but here recently, Swtor has gotten old, yes the old ops are challenging, but at the same time it just get old, Myself and guildies have kept our ears to the ground in hopes of seeing a new ops emerge out of this. we grinded on a nightly bases to get 224 gear, to run through story content, only to find there's not much holding our interest, we have to wait a month for a story to come out, in between those chapters we run ops, most of us do pvp, but even that's getting old very quick seeing that how the past times i have pvp'd it's taken me to the newer pvp maps which is just way to huge to even really do anything with. and at this point i find myself re-rolling different classes multiple times to have something to do. and now that I've seen the 4.5 changes I'm not entirely sure what to think about it, and it's a nerf that i feel will throw the game off further from where it should be as an mmo. while the game has under went some seriously needed changes, I Feel it's more focused around single player content a bit too much, the chapters are ok at this point (having number of different toons and re-running those stories) it just gets old. I feel group content at this point has gone out the window, and re-hashed in to "more challenging ops" well it's not much of a challenge when you know the mechanics, you know the fights, about the only thing challenging about it is if you ask a healer to stop healing for a moment (no joke). Yes i'm whining about ops and how we need new ops, or something other then this game turning in to a single player game, or a heavy pvp game. while I appreciate the time the developers take to create this game and content and address something, it's been made clear that this year it was about the story, (which is all the same) ops (which is all the same) even some of the armor is rehashed......at this point I'm wondering if it's even worth staying in or staying subbed for rehashed content. but whatever my choice is for this game is, it's been fun.

There is no shame in this game becoming stale for you, just as there is no shame in finding that this game is going down a path you cant follow :) , it happens to everyone eventually and I no doubt that it will happen to me someday, should you take a break now rather than burning yourself out there may be a time when you might well feel like returning to the game.

I can't say I approve of the story or not since I do not trust the (lack of) QA to preserve the choices/romances/stories I've built on those characters for the last 3 years.

Well Vette came out and she was a romance choice for me. Once i got her back i expected something, a cutscene, a STINKING letter... something. But that was not important so yea if you do start KOFTE say bye bye to all the romance stuff you made before. coz why would they go that extra mile to provide a fraction of the player-base with continuity when they can just make another pack and it will sell faster that hot cakes.

There is no shame in this game becoming stale for you, just as there is no shame in finding that this game is going down a path you cant follow :) , it happens to everyone eventually and I no doubt that it will happen to me someday, should you take a break now rather than burning yourself out there may be a time when you might well feel like returning to the game.

I can agree with that, for me I just think it's time to move on to another game, as stated enjoyed this game while it lasted but at this point and time swtor just left a bad taste in my mouth . metaphorically of course

Edited by NeshobaNowa

I can agree with that, for me I just think it's time to move on to another game, as stated enjoyed this game while it lasted but at this point and time swtor just left a bad taste in my mouth . metaphorically of course

it's better to walk away while it's just stale and before it becomes bitter :)

Well Vette came out and she was a romance choice for me. Once i got her back i expected something, a cutscene, a STINKING letter... something. But that was not important so yea if you do start KOFTE say bye bye to all the romance stuff you made before. coz why would they go that extra mile to provide a fraction of the player-base with continuity when they can just make another pack and it will sell faster that hot cakes.

So when my light side sith warrior who married Vette gets her back there is no acknowledgment she;'s his wife?

9 incredible story driven chapters

Nice to see that you guys are humble and in no way pretentious.

But joking aside, I logged on to these forums tonight because my legendary status is STILL not restored in this new chapter/patch/update.

I immediately went to my account page and cancelled my subscription.

What is the point in having incredible content if the customer support you deliver is total garbage.

Yes, I'm angry, and I'm even going to use the NOT smiley face! :mad::mad::mad::mad:

You talk about new content but yet you still haven't fixed the massive amounts of bugs that are already existing.

Please, for the love of god, fix the broken things first.

Yes. By all that is holy yes!

They talk so much about "ohh giyz its goona b soooo kool, promise!" And yet I have been nothing but disappointed ever since the Dread War saga ended.

Seriously BW if you want to take any feedback from me its this:

Go back and look at what made the original class stories and the Dread War saga great, then have your writers start working off of that.

But as the good man said, fix the broken stuff guys! Let's take a few weeks...or months...or years, and fix the bugs before we introduce more...

Edited by MayhemofChaonus

Nice to see that you guys are humble and in no way pretentious.

But joking aside, I logged on to these forums tonight because my legendary status is STILL not restored in this new chapter/patch/update.

I immediately went to my account page and cancelled my subscription.

What is the point in having incredible content if the customer support you deliver is total garbage.

Yes, I'm angry, and I'm even going to use the NOT smiley face! :mad::mad::mad::mad:

Well, I will never have "Legendary" status because I simply won't do 2 imp class stories ... And I'm fine with that.

Like allot of other people who have replied to this post, I can only say that it feels like you are completely ignorant to what people are really pleading for, which is first and foremost fixes for the many bugs, you already have allot of (imo) solid content, but most of it is plagued by flaws and bugs which makes it hard to enjoy the great work that has been put into said content and it's a real shame :o

You say you are all gamers yourselves, well then maybe that's the problem, you might need someone with a little more focus on work ethics to run the show, someone who sees a flaw in the game and get the person (or group) behind the specific design flaw to have a fix ready for it by the next maintenance, it is how things are handled in most mature work environments, if an employee makes an error they are told to fix it :mad:

I have to say that the worst thing about you saying that you are all gamers is that if you guys (and girls) truly play your own game then you would be just as pissed off as the rest of us and you (being in that perfect position with the right tools at hand) have the capability to fix this stuff but choose not to and some of this stuff like armor and weapon flaws can be fixed in a matter of minutes and still you don't do it, so as a gamer of 20+ years of gaming behind me I take recent to you calling yourself a gamer, until you step up and really start solving bugs at best you can call yourself a player (yes there is a difference and if you have to ask then you are a player hehe :p).

Sorry if the last part seems abrupt but it really feels like (as with so many other game developers) we are not getting through to you guys at all and it gets really frustrating :(

As a subscriber since beta I'll believe that you are interested in quality when you spend more time actually fixing bugs than adding stuff to the cartel market, promising to fix the legacy bug that is still not working after 3 updates does not instill me with confidence in you commitment to quality.

• 2 weeks later...
As a subscriber since beta I'll believe that you are interested in quality when you spend more time actually fixing bugs than adding stuff to the cartel market, promising to fix the legacy bug that is still not working after 3 updates does not instill me with confidence in you commitment to quality.

I'm with this dude.

I mean, thank you for taking the time of writing this, and we know that you're trying your best to make the new content (chapters of the expansion) awesome, but it will be much better if you (for you I mean the whole SWTOR team), stop putting new content (just for a time) and concentrate on fixing the bugs (old and new). That would make the gameplay far better.

Regards. :)

and we have started the early design phase for new, non-chapter, content. You all know the drill here, I can’t talk about any of the specifics (yet) but what I can say is that we have some REALLY cool stuff to talk about later this year and the whole SWTOR team can’t wait to announce it. Soon. TM.

Please tell me this wasn't a reference to the L/D thing. :csw_deathstar_un:

You know, your community would cut you guys a lot more slack if you just stopped keeping people in the dark. Do you think the L/D thing went over well today? Now imagine you (yes, Ben, that means you) had provided us with a roadmap for the next year and the community:

•  
  • Knew the expected drop date of new Operations content.
  • Knew the expected drop date of KotFE Season 2.
  • Knew when we could expect a new PvP map.
  • Knew when you were going to do a new GSF map.
  • Knew what your plans were WRT class balance and when they would be going out onto the PTS.

And - instead of hyping up this PoS as something special, if it was instead dropped on us in an offhand manner as "something to fill the time between now and the next major content drop" - don't you think the community would be a little less volatile?

Who runs your meetings bro? Do you not have a corporate culture where someone in the room is able to stand up and say "guys, this is a terrible idea"? Because if you guys truly are "Gamers", someone in that room must have wanted to say it.

How hard would it have been to create some type of reward - maybe a cool weapon, mount or title - for people who don't want to redo this stuff, but have already done most of it and just want to finish up the bits they have left.

Instead of creating a situation that completely laughs in the face of your longest, most loyal customers.

Not like I care about this thing, so I'm not affected - but the decision making needs a review if you're even remotely concerned about how you are perceived as a development team. People are split on whether you guys are evil or inept. Don't you want the community to respect the work you guys do? The product you provide?

If I had the privilege - and it should be treated as such - of being a part of the MMO (<-lol) based on the world's greatest IP I know I would care.

Just saying man, you guys continue to step on your crank, and it's hard to understand why. There were at least 10 other ways I could think of (to shamelessly recycle content to keep this cash cow going with minimal investment in, I dunno, MMO content) that wouldn't have pissed off 90% of your subscribers. Why is it so hard for you guys?

One last thing, if you actually even read this....

"Focus on Story".... What does this mean exactly? It doesn't seem like a focus on story to me.

Dread Masters were story. The whole Malgus chain was an awesome story. Epic **** Ben. Truly, epic.

You seem to have sold us on "story" but really meant "single-player". Because you're asking us to go all in on KotFE. OK - I'll buy that....

But how is Eternal Championship "story"? How is this light/dark circus "story"?

You want to focus on "story"? Go nuts. But at some point, when you're talking to the ducks, spend a moment thinking about the fact that whether you regret it or not, you are working on an MMO. And there are a few of us that like MMO's. We like doing things with others. We like having our guilds be "relevant". We like grouping up and destroying the biggest meanest BAMFs you guys can dream up.

You've lost reams of paying customers that feel this way. I doubt you've lost many people who thought there wasn't enough "story" in this game.

The forums have plenty of white knights who applaud your "new direction" and insist you guys are doing it based on metrics and RoI. But I'm not stupid and I assume you aren't either. We both know your long-term projections can not be trending in the direction you'd like. Anyone who logs into the game knows this, if they are being honest with themselves. The value prop just isn't there.

Maybe for 2017 you can focus on "customer retention", and start acting like this is the MMO it was supposed to be, stop hyping recycled 2012 content, stop abandoning 2/3 of your player base at every turn, stop pretending your player metrics aren't a direct result of design decisions you have made and try to "Focus" on keeping those of us that are still here, here instead of assuming our replacement will be just as valuable to you.

Thank you for the Dev Letter, genuinely.

Now as often as you DO listen to the community, i plead you listen to the community's current 84 pages of hate mail towards DvL expansion. I've played SWTOR since day 1, fell in love with the original content. DEC2011-April 2012 were truly the best days of this game.

That being said, KOTFE is met with mixed feelings by the majority of the community. I personally like to pretend it never happened, as it is a simple reboot of the Empire returning from deep space literally again.

Now to have an absurd event such as DvL, and to screw veteran players over in the process is simply infuriating. Why do my last 4 years of effort not matter? I don't believe it is impossible, but saying that almost nothing is retroactive is a kick in the groin.