Character name restrictions

October

Beats me. I renamed one of mine and tap tap tap click name changed. Of course I didn't try to call a trooper Major Major of the Major legacy so I can get the title Major and be Major Major Major Major like the guy in Catch-22.

(For reference, in both Guild Wars and Guild Wars 2 I have "Kylara Nightsong". Now I have it in SWTOR, and I am happy.)

Why are there so many? Had thought that with a space it'd be more freeing but no, Invalid name after Invalid name.

Why is 'Phoenix' invalid? Or basic colors? Or basic names?

Might be because the letters in sequence make the word Penix which is a common variation, switching the "s" for an "x"

Might be the "hoe"

You will have to list the actual colors or names for more reasons.

I know Some make no sense. I tried to name a new trooper toon Hannibal with a space and then a last name but it was invalid. Thought maybe it was the last name so i tried an jumble of letters and nope its Hannibal that is invalid...:mad:

Even worse is when you use the random name button and the name their name generator gives you is invalid...lol:rolleyes:

Edited by Solo-Jo

Naming Policy

When creating a character or guild name for Star Wars: The Old Republic, it is encouraged that you select a name that reflects the theme of the game. The guidelines listed below outline the types of names that you can NOT use, and apply to both player or character names, as well as guild names.

You may not use any names that violate the General Rules. This includes the use of names that are hateful, defamatory, racist, ethnically offensive, obscene, vulgar, sexually explicit, or any other language that is offensive in nature.

You may not use names that are harassing or defamatory to other players or employees of EA, BioWare or LucasArts, e.g. EASUX, Timsretarded, and Biowaresux.

You may not use names of any EA, BioWare, or LucasArts employee or service related to Star Wars: The Old Republic.

You may not use names of copyrighted or trademarked characters, materials or products, e.g. Coca-Cola or Dr. Pepper.

You may not use names from popular culture or media, e.g. Lady Gaga or George Lucas.

You may not use names that are religiously or historically significant, e.g. Jesus, Winston Churchill.

You may not use proper names of areas within Star Wars for character names. Guild names, however, MAY use the proper names of specific areas to help promote role-playing and realm pride, e.g. Defenders of Tython or Protectors of Hutta.

You may not use proper names of non-player characters within Star Wars: The Old Republic, e.g. Darth Malgus, Satele Shan, Yoda, Darth Vader or Luke Skywalker.

You may not use names containing titles or ranks within them, e.g. General Supertrooper, Captain Tim, Darth Timmy, Knight Wakey.

You may not use names that refer to drugs or that are drug related.

You may not use names that contain an inappropriate phrase, sentence or any fragment of a sentence or Leet speak, e.g. uberhaxer, xxspeederxx, lolface, rofl, Noobwhacker, TimmyF**k, kock, fuk.

You may not use misspellings or alternative spellings of names that violate any of the above rules, e.g. Hamsolo, Yooda, DorthVader.

You may not use gibberish names when creating character, e.g. ajsdu, rifndsw, qweszs.

If you violate any part of the above Naming Policy you will either be assigned a new name, or given the option of changing the name. In addition to this, your account could incur a penalty up to and including account closure.

http://www.swtor.com/legalnotices/rulesofconduct

I love when the random name is "already in use" or "invalid".

Played around with the name generator once on a Black trooper I was making and the damn game tried to get me in trouble by randomly coming up with the name.......no joke......."Negrois"......

Should have reported the name generator.

I know Some make no sense. I tried to name a new trooper toon Hannibal with a space and then a last name but it was invalid. Thought maybe it was the last name so i tried an jumble of letters and nope its Hannibal that is invalid...:mad:

Even worse is when you use the random name button and the name their name generator gives you is invalid...lol:rolleyes:

This one is a no brainer. You cannot use historically significant names. Hannibal was a very famous general of Cathage back in the Roman era.

Why are there so many? Had thought that with a space it'd be more freeing but no, Invalid name after Invalid name.

Why is 'Phoenix' invalid? Or basic colors? Or basic names?

Probably because Phoenix is a character out of mythical lore. It is also the name of the Capitol of Arizona. Both are reasons for it to be excluded IMO.

As for basic colors or names... you need to be more specific if you want responses to your question.

Beats me. I renamed one of mine and tap tap tap click name changed. Of course I didn't try to call a trooper Major Major of the Major legacy so I can get the title Major and be Major Major Major Major like the guy in Catch-22.

(For reference, in both Guild Wars and Guild Wars 2 I have "Kylara Nightsong". Now I have it in SWTOR, and I am happy.)

Oh well, I've seen this on Reddit the other day.

http://abload.de/img/screenshot_2016-04-07jaoyr.jpg

Edited by JeKoCZ

When renaming toons, I found out that Lucy, Neera and Nova were all showing invalid. Anyone have an explanation for those?

They were probably used in invalid syntax in putting other names together by someone at some point since launch. Lucy for example could be easily misused as a drug reference (think back to the Beetles song).

See.. the way this works is they add to the invalid list as they have improper naming of characters reported to them by other players. Many names that were valid at launch are no on the invalid list. You can thank players using basic names as part of abusive naming behaviors for stuff like this.

They were probably used in invalid syntax in putting other names together by someone at some point since launch. Lucy for example could be easily misused as a drug reference (think back to the Beetles song).

See.. the way this works is they add to the invalid list as they have improper naming of characters reported to them by other players. Many names that were valid at launch are no on the invalid list. You can thank players using basic names as part of abusive naming behaviors for stuff like this.

Stupid players at launch using abusive names, ruining our fun! :p

Thor is also an invalid name, weirdly enough. I also think it's weird Luke is invalid, as it's a very popular name in the real world.

I guess because there can only be one Luke in the entirety of Star Wars canon. Or possibly because there is nothing stopping anyone from taking the Legacy name Skywalker?

Edited by Cedia

I have a character whose name trips the profanity filter in chat. It took me a while to realize why, since the letter sequence is interrupted by a dash and the profanity in question isn't commonly used in US English; and the name itself isn't any kind of clever end-run around the filter; as should be obvious to a human

I'm not going to pay to rename, though.

Naming Policy

When creating a character or guild name for Star Wars: The Old Republic, it is encouraged that you select a name that reflects the theme of the game. The guidelines listed below outline the types of names that you can NOT use, and apply to both player or character names, as well as guild names.

You may not use any names that violate the General Rules. This includes the use of names that are hateful, defamatory, racist, ethnically offensive, obscene, vulgar, sexually explicit, or any other language that is offensive in nature.

You may not use names that are harassing or defamatory to other players or employees of EA, BioWare or LucasArts, e.g. EASUX, Timsretarded, and Biowaresux.

You may not use names of any EA, BioWare, or LucasArts employee or service related to Star Wars: The Old Republic.

You may not use names of copyrighted or trademarked characters, materials or products, e.g. Coca-Cola or Dr. Pepper.

You may not use names from popular culture or media, e.g. Lady Gaga or George Lucas.

You may not use names that are religiously or historically significant, e.g. Jesus, Winston Churchill.

You may not use proper names of areas within Star Wars for character names. Guild names, however, MAY use the proper names of specific areas to help promote role-playing and realm pride, e.g. Defenders of Tython or Protectors of Hutta.

You may not use proper names of non-player characters within Star Wars: The Old Republic, e.g. Darth Malgus, Satele Shan, Yoda, Darth Vader or Luke Skywalker.

You may not use names containing titles or ranks within them, e.g. General Supertrooper, Captain Tim, Darth Timmy, Knight Wakey.

You may not use names that refer to drugs or that are drug related.

You may not use names that contain an inappropriate phrase, sentence or any fragment of a sentence or Leet speak, e.g. uberhaxer, xxspeederxx, lolface, rofl, Noobwhacker, TimmyF**k, kock, fuk.

You may not use misspellings or alternative spellings of names that violate any of the above rules, e.g. Hamsolo, Yooda, DorthVader.

You may not use gibberish names when creating character, e.g. ajsdu, rifndsw, qweszs.

If you violate any part of the above Naming Policy you will either be assigned a new name, or given the option of changing the name. In addition to this, your account could incur a penalty up to and including account closure.

http://www.swtor.com/legalnotices/rulesofconduct

Even following this, some names are still invalid.

They also added some new rules wit the introduction of the space, such as - you must have three letters before and three letters after the space for it to be valid. I'm pretty sure using "The" was in those rules. (could be wrong, often am) Edited by CrazyCT

Are you sure the names are "invalid" or are they just "taken". I've run into the problem of random names being taken - which leads me to think they're not truly random - but not invalid.

Are you sure the names are "invalid" or are they just "taken". I've run into the problem of random names being taken - which leads me to think they're not truly random - but not invalid.

When you try it with several different "last names" and all show invalid, but change the original first name (such as Hannibal, Phoenix, Lucy, Neera, Nova and I believe Jake and James were mentioned in some other thread) and it suddenly gets accepted, you can be pretty sure it was the first name.

Some names are "not available" (=taken), some are "invalid".

Well, duh. The question was whether or not some people's choices were invalid, or just "taken" - in other words, were they simply mistaken about the reasons why they couldn't use a name. Particularly the guy who suggested that some "random" names were invalid.

Edited by JediQuaker

We're ignoring the most important point in all this ... I have all the names I wanted on all the servers I play. Which means the system is working as intended. Because, if I couldn't get the names I wanted, then the system would be broken.