Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

The Short Fic Weekly Challenge Thread!

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Community Content > Fan Fiction
The Short Fic Weekly Challenge Thread!
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

bright_ephemera
07.08.2018 , 09:29 AM | #6121
I just finished publishing what might be called an epic fic elsewhere. As recovery, an eight-pack of drabbles about Standards, which I believe is our upcoming prompt! I don’t expect feedback on all of these, they’re pretty far-flung: one for every class character. The timing runs from Act 2 of the class line to year 2 of Knights of Miscellany.

Obscure spoilers for Imperial Agent Act 2. Almost exactly 800 words, not counting headings.

Spoiler
the Short Fic Weekly Challenge - 100+ authors to date. 2600+ stories. New prompts weekly!
Bright's Fanfic Threads
---(Ceterum autem censeo, Malavai esse delendam.)--- DELETA MALAVAI EST

JamagsAwesome
07.08.2018 , 11:41 PM | #6122
Replies and Comments
Spoiler

Now, I’ve been doing a lot of action-packed stories, so I think this one will be a little calmer. It’s a bit of Family, in a sense, and a bit of Keep On Keeping On.

For Sale
Spoiler

Notes
Spoiler
Star Forge | The Scruffy Legacy
Satele Shan | The Shianna Legacy

Iheaca
07.09.2018 , 06:14 AM | #6123
Comments:
Spoiler

I cannot participate for the moment, which is not really a loss. I am currently trying to write a speech (for Nyx, not for me). Hell! Now I understand that speech writing for politicians is a job on its own. It is rather hard to achieve something appealing without moving too much to the pure clichés...
The Leviathan - Nyx-Nocturna, Ihrae, Del'Ihrae, Shanti-Adamanta, Ainlanna, Ijadyia
From Ashes We Will Rise - fanfiction

bright_ephemera
07.09.2018 , 06:53 AM | #6124
Self-help for Jedi. I love it.

Looks like my drabbles missed the mark. Next week will probably be something a little deeper with a little fewer people.
the Short Fic Weekly Challenge - 100+ authors to date. 2600+ stories. New prompts weekly!
Bright's Fanfic Threads
---(Ceterum autem censeo, Malavai esse delendam.)--- DELETA MALAVAI EST

Lord_Thorne
07.09.2018 , 05:16 PM | #6125
Quote: Originally Posted by JamagsAwesome View Post
Replies and Comments
@Lord_Thorne: That was a fantastic look at how being recruited into the Jedi looks from the youngling’s perspective. The name-change strikes me as more of a Sith tradition, though. Is there a reason for that?

As a sidenote, the logic behind Photin’s name reminds me of how Pholux’s name was chosen (out-of-universe, in this case) on sort of the same logic. I was trying to convert my characters from being more personal avatars to being separate characters (the biggest remaining artifact of that is the fact that most of them are male – my secondary legacy is an even split and even on the primary one there are actually sixteen characters to satisfy my obsessive need for symmetry), and I scrambled to find a more fitting name for my Agent than Bond’jamesbond (yes, really). First I was thinking “Spy, therefore shadow, which is Umbra in Latin, so I’ll call him Umbrandis.” The name didn’t suit him at all, so, since he was lightside, I went the opposite direction and called him Pholux, which basically means “light-light.” Not exactly my most clever naming job, but I refuse to change it again. Most of my characters’ names have similarly embarrassing backstories (except Rikynn – there I just got lucky with the random generator).
About the name change, I was thinking along the lines of some types of Christian monks, or even some lay traditions, where a new name is adopted as part of baptism or induction into monasticism, as a symbol of leaving one's old life behind. It does seem more typically a SIth thing, but I can easily imagine it being a practice among the Jedi at times. Part of the reason for the name change (besides driving home the dramatic impact of the 'recruiting'), is that Photin is over ten years old when she's discovered, and that seems on the high side for Jedi recruitment (considering all the younglings at the Temple caught in Anakin's rampage), and a name change would be a way to overcome that. At least in some people's way of thinking.

All my toons in the game after my first (who is long gone now, since shortly after launch), have been deliberately constructed as fictional characters rather than personal avatars. Your description of how you come up with names is very similar to mine. In the server I moved to right before the merge, my general theme has been French-type names (Photin is not an actual game character, but if you see a merc named "Jeanne D'Arc" in-game...), but I've made a number of alts based on pseudo-Greek or pseudo-Latin variations on 'light' or 'dark.'
Leadership is a potent combination of strategy and character. But if you must be without one, be without the strategy.
"The incomprehensibility of your statement in no way validates it." (HK-51)
"I'm a lump with a bad attitude! Honor! Misplaced loyalty! Grr!" (Z0-OM)

frauzet
07.10.2018 , 02:54 AM | #6126
I see you have been busy while I was on vacation. I will try to catch up later.
First last Friday's prompt.

Week of July 6, 2018

Set the Standards: What’s the minimum your character will accept, be it service, the kinds of jobs they’ll take, or the places they’ll go or stay? What about the people they’ll work with or date? Do they have standards for decency or conduct? How do they define them? What’s their reasoning for their personal limits? Have they ever been tested? Are they reasonable, inflated, underrated, irrational?

This week’s prompt not for you? Look for something more to your taste in the Prompt Archive. Consider all the prompts active and waiting to inspire you.

This week’s featured previous prompts are:

Teachers and Heroes - Everyone has someone they look up to, or someone who’s taught them something important. Or a hero that they strive to be like. Who does your character admire and look toward when they’re not sure what to do? Who has had an impact on making them the person they are today?

Hidden Talents - All of our characters are good fighters, but people are good at more than one thing. What else are they good at - and how do their friends and family react to learning about this hidden skill?
Author of "Trouble, Destiny and Other Complications" and the AU "Caught"
Participant of the "Short Fic Weekly Challlenge Thread!"
All my stories from TDaOC and SFWC in chronological order

drug_cartel
07.13.2018 , 02:47 AM | #6127
Prompt: Set the Standards

Pansey Episode V (Alderaan). Mirialan Warrior on Satele Shan server

Spoiler

frauzet
07.13.2018 , 12:37 PM | #6128
Week of July 13, 2018

Look Behind You: What’s behind your character, literally or figuratively? Where did they come from? What did they leave behind to get where they are now? A village, town, city, or planet? Family, lovers, friends, rivals, or enemies? Ideas or beliefs? Do any of them catch up or are they forever in the past? How does your character feel about that?

This week’s prompt not for you? Look for something more to your taste in the Prompt Archive. Consider all the prompts active and waiting to inspire you.

This week’s featured previous prompts are:

Cross Purposes - some characters are allies, others indifferent. Then there are the adversaries. And sometimes two character are at cross purposes and don’t’ even know it. Protagonist- antagonist is one of the most basic story structures. Give it a twist with two main characters working against each other, knowingly or otherwise.

Brotherhood/Sisterhood - Some characters have siblings, others don’t. They might be closer to certain friends or companions than to their actual kin. Siblings can be alive, dead, estranged, friendly, hostile, or anything in between. They might be the one person your character can rely on when they’re in trouble, or the last person in the universe they’d contact for anything.

drug_cartel
07.13.2018 , 07:51 PM | #6129
Prompt: Look Behind You

An origin story for Radigan Rist, taking place prior to the intro of the Imperial Agent story.

Spoiler

frauzet
07.14.2018 , 04:55 AM | #6130
@drug_cartel: That's an enjoyable version of that fight. I like the alternative escape route. Although there would be no question about who of the two heroes ist the little one, wouldn't it?

I managed to write a few words for the next chapter of 'Caught'. It's not done yet, but the beginning seems to fit the current prompt. So what's to stop me from sharing what little I have?
Technically this would belong to the AU-thread, but it would feel somewhat alone there.

Spoilers for SW Korriban!

Note:
Spoiler

Prompt: Look Behind You
Title: Tired
Characters: Thorns, Ciner
Spoiler