light and dark side...

nesiahtm_tm

So, I resubbed recently. My initial char was a Jedi shadow, and I played all the light side choices.

Now I've re subbed I figured I'd try the other faction, so I made a Sith pureblood warrior with the intention of playing fully dark side. So far I have murdered about 7 people...now I know this is a little lame, but I actually feel bad. I guess that just shows how good the story is.

My question is, does it sound redicolous to play the sith and choose all the light side options?

I really like how the char looks, and as I've already played the Jedi faction I wanted to try something new!

Yes maybe I just have issues, or I'm just to nice, either or both lol. And yes, I know its only a game.

Thanks

I have a Light V Sith Marauder, and it's been a very interesting story. As a matter of fact, I just recently finished leveling that character, and as I was thinking back over the experience I realized that nearly all of my favorite/most memorable moments were scenes that I very obviously would *not* have gotten had I not specifically gone light side.

Both of my Sith characters are light side. Personally I enjoy the light side story more. It does annoy me that some of the dialogue options for a light side Sith are a bit Jedi-like...

Although the SWTOR story isn't canon for my marauder, she wouldn't have decided against killing Mashallon, the Jedi boss at the end of the Balmorra quests, because she's nice like the dialogue implies she is. Her intention would be to get any more information out of her, without torture, and then let her go.

She would have definitely saved Commander Naughlin (I probably spelled his name wrong). Nothing like uniting against the same foe!

That being said, I might go dark side on other characters after going light side. I just won't be shocking Vette every time she opens her mouth.

I find it very ridiculous to pick all light side or all dark side options, it's better to just let the character be free to do what they want. It's not like the morality of light/dark in this game is even consistent; there are quests where you get light side points for sacrificing many to save few and quests where you get dark side points for sacrificing many to save few and vice versa. My "good" characters typically get mostly light and my "bad" characters get mostly dark though. Edited by Dan_Loto

I find it very ridiculous to pick all light side or all dark side options, it's better to just let the character be free to do what they want. It's not like the morality of light/dark in this game is even consistent; there are quests where you get light side points for sacrificing many to save few and quests where you get dark side points for sacrificing many to save few and vice versa. My "good" characters typically get mostly light and my "bad" characters get mostly dark though.

I'm sort of like that with my LS SI. My Darth Imperius isn't afraid to do a few dark side acts when the situation calls for it.

As for the non-Force users, rules of light side and dark side don't apply.

Something to think about when it comes to Light Side and Dark Side choices on the side of the Sith Empire. If you think of the long-term implications, one has to consider the fact that LS choices are, in fact, more sadistic than Dark Side choices. Example:

A great number of choices in the Sith Warrior storyline have the Dark Side choice being death of the person involved. At the end of Balmorra, you have the choice of either killing the Jedi investigator or having her live and being sent to Darth Baras. Dark Side, you kill her and that's that. But if you choose LS and let her live, then her eventual fate is easily assumed: Darth Baras will use the Ravager on her as he did on the Republic agent. In the end, which is the more sadistic choice?

Another choice like this is on the Black Talon flashpoint mission. You can either kill the General and that's that, or if you choose to take him prisoner than it is fairly likely that he will be subjected to a number of grisly fates, torture being the least of these, as an example of what will happen to defectors.

Something to think about when it comes to Light Side and Dark Side choices on the side of the Sith Empire. If you think of the long-term implications, one has to consider the fact that LS choices are, in fact, more sadistic than Dark Side choices. Example:

A great number of choices in the Sith Warrior storyline have the Dark Side choice being death of the person involved. At the end of Balmorra, you have the choice of either killing the Jedi investigator or having her live and being sent to Darth Baras. Dark Side, you kill her and that's that. But if you choose LS and let her live, then her eventual fate is easily assumed: Darth Baras will use the Ravager on her as he did on the Republic agent. In the end, which is the more sadistic choice?

Another choice like this is on the Black Talon flashpoint mission. You can either kill the General and that's that, or if you choose to take him prisoner than it is fairly likely that he will be subjected to a number of grisly fates, torture being the least of these, as an example of what will happen to defectors.

I think light side in terms of the Empire is more about doing what's best for the Empire. It isn't about what good you do, it's about what you're able to provide for the Empire.

Something to think about when it comes to Light Side and Dark Side choices on the side of the Sith Empire. If you think of the long-term implications, one has to consider the fact that LS choices are, in fact, more sadistic than Dark Side choices.

It's not about sadism, it's usually about getting something for the Empire. Sith LS is seldom "good", to me it more often seemd like a rational choice. You don't kill everyone just because you want to, you consider what future use they could be as information sources, workers, soldiers etc. You don't let civilians go because you feel sympathy for them, you let them go so they can strain the Republic's refugee program and tell everyone about how you're so powerful that killing them was beneath you. Yes, sometimes not killing someone may mean he's off to a none-too-gentle interrogation. But the Empire needs to know what he knows.

A Dark Side Sith is a psychopathic killer with a lightsaber, a Light Side Sith is a sinister but honorable warrior.

Yeah, for the Republic the LS / DS range tends to fall between full-blown altruistic on one end and 'the ends justify the means' / 'my own people first' (with the occasional mean-spirited or self-serving option) on the other.

For the Empire the range is more LS = pragmatic and loyal with a dash of compassion / mercy every now and then, DS = "I eat babies for fun".

Personally I like to mix it up, my main - a Sith Inquisitor - is always floating between the Light I, Neutral, and Dark I ranks, since I play him as ambitious and often remorseless but not sadistic.

Even my 'full blown' LS and DS characters don't go 100% in either direction. My Sith Warrior is maxed DS but he took some neutral or even LS options when they were just blatantly more practical (and I romanced Vette on him so she ended up being something of a 'morality chain' every now and then). My Jedi Knight is maxed LS but would occasionally take neutral options when it seemed like the Jedi were being too dogmatic and took a DS hit by romancing Kira early on.

Edited by DarthDymond

• 4 weeks later...
So, I resubbed recently. My initial char was a Jedi shadow, and I played all the light side choices.

Now I've re subbed I figured I'd try the other faction, so I made a Sith pureblood warrior with the intention of playing fully dark side. So far I have murdered about 7 people...now I know this is a little lame, but I actually feel bad. I guess that just shows how good the story is.

My question is, does it sound redicolous to play the sith and choose all the light side options?

I really like how the char looks, and as I've already played the Jedi faction I wanted to try something new!

Yes maybe I just have issues, or I'm just to nice, either or both lol. And yes, I know its only a game.

Thanks

I prefer to play characters based on what I feel such a character in the setting would say/do. My past two warriors were both Dark 3 and Dark 4 respectively by the end of act 3, and were more the honorable warrior than evil because shut up. I felt the warrior story, played this way, was very satisfying. A light side warrior would also probably be a very good story, but I find pure light side might begin to strain credulity.

I haven't played inquisitor past act 1, but my inquisitor was neutral (rerolling to fraps my story :D) and I loved it. I think a light side inquisitor can make sense, given the context and origin of the character who is more in a position of trying to not be killed for a lot of the story. Character could perhaps go either way.

I feel like picking all light side or all dark side choices and playing only one of two extremes isn't nearly as fulfilling story-wise as making choices I feel, for example, my honorable Pureblood Warrior would do given his background and such.

• 2 weeks later...

As a light-side Sith, dealing with that Jedi you are forced to cooperate with on Belsavis was quite interesting.

Jaesa implying that you were more along the lines of what a Jedi should be than most of the order when you first meet him. All the way until at the end where you tell the Jedi "I am walking the Light path", I will not kill her (Darth Whatshername, Baras' sister) so either you kill her (and take the DS hit) or she goes free. Basically, I am more light-side than you Jedi, so you have to cut down the helpless lady in cold blood....

• 7 months later...
A Dark Side Sith is a psychopathic killer with a lightsaber, a Light Side Sith is a sinister but honorable warrior.

Not necessarily, my almost darkness V Sith marauder seldom kills women, no torture (Vette is quite safe with him :p ), doesn't kill those helping him...

You can choose where to draw your darkness. An example on Balmorra in the side-quest to kill the general's wife, you take light points saving her you recover by destroying the general's career. He also couldn't resist taking light points bv making jedis look foolish....

I don't know about inquisitor as I've only played it through act 1 and was fairly neutral, but warrior had a lot of good light side choices. Many of them felt more pro-empire and for the greater good of the empire, rather than just the warrior, and many of them were in the warrior's best interest (i.e. sparing people who are more valuable/useful alive). Other choices amount to the warrior wanting to fundamentally change the empire from within and can strain credulity, but most of them were actually pretty good.

What counts as lightside seems different for each class. WIth the Warrior, it's less a wallking jedi in Sith's clothing and more of a merciful, pragmatic and cunning. Though that really depends on how you reason your character's decisions. Like I spared a lot of people in my story, but that was ony because my warrior knew he would need allies when Baras eventually turned on him. Like with Rathari, sparing him and letting him go free would not be a lightside option on a jedi character, it would be neutral at best.

So lightside on a Sith is not really light side, it's just a different perspective on how your character interprets the Sith Code and the like. Even if most Sith will not agree.

As a light-side Sith, dealing with that Jedi you are forced to cooperate with on Belsavis was quite interesting.

Jaesa implying that you were more along the lines of what a Jedi should be than most of the order when you first meet him. All the way until at the end where you tell the Jedi "I am walking the Light path", I will not kill her (Darth Whatshername, Baras' sister) so either you kill her (and take the DS hit) or she goes free. Basically, I am more light-side than you Jedi, so you have to cut down the helpless lady in cold blood....

For me, that moment was hilarious, my Warrior was lying out of his rear end and just seeing that rather high and mighty jedi force himself to commit a DS act was fun.