Yuuzhan Vong Story arc

Coruscantbound

Since Disney disney'd Star Wars, flippantly tossing out YEARS of novels and storylines and character developement (a rant for another time), one thing that I'd truly LOVE to see is the appearance of the Yuuzhan Vong. In the novels, they proved to be a very hard challenge to the Jedi of the time. I think that it would be a great story arc for SWTOR. Thoughts anyone?

No. Just no.

They were the beginning of the end for the EU as far as I was concerned. Those books were almost all awful.

I might be more angry at disney for wiping the EU except that in doing so, they purged the Vong and Legacy of the Force series, which makes me very happy.

I wasn't a big fan of the Vong, a bunch of stupid Luddite religious zealots from another galaxy that for some reason hated mechanical technology wasn't that interesting. I'm pretty sure I recall one of them getting pissy when someone called their biological abominations 'bio technology', just the word technology was enough to trigger them. But at least the good guys were smart enough to take advantage of their stupid religion, that was always a fun to read.

Honestly, they felt like a shoe horned in attempt to keep the EU going after the conflict with the Empire was resolved and left them with no big overarching group of antagonists.

Edited by dcaleb

I mean, I didn't hate them exactly. But I didn't like them enough to get excited if it was announced they were going to appear in a future expansion. The EU really went downhill after them, though. Next it introduced mind rape bugs that some people actually tolerated instead of wanting to burn them all for being mind rapists that used chemicals to brain wash you into their hive/cult (which made its way into this game complete with there being people that barely batted an eye. Including Bioware since they made the option to forcibly remove a joiner and try to cure them a dark side option while leaving them to their fate as a brain washed drone is light side). Then there was a certain somebodies derptastic descent into the dark side and everyone being idiots who sat back and did nothing as he took power for himself Palpatine style with political maneuvering and shenanigans.

I mean, I didn't hate them exactly. But I didn't like them enough to get excited if it was announced they were going to appear in a future expansion. The EU really went downhill after them, though. Next it introduced mind rape bugs that some people actually tolerated instead of wanting to burn them all for being mind rapists that used chemicals to brain wash you into their hive/cult (which made its way into this game complete with there being people that barely batted an eye. Including Bioware since they made the option to forcibly remove a joiner and try to cure them a dark side option while leaving them to their fate as a brain washed drone is light side). Then there was a certain somebodies derptastic descent into the dark side and everyone being idiots who sat back and did nothing as he took power for himself Palpatine style with political maneuvering and shenanigans.

Pretty much this, though I think I'd go so far as saying I hate the Vong.

Fate of the Jedi did improve things a bit. Had they made the villains just the Lost Tribe it might actually have been good, but no, they had to throw Abeloth in there...

Fate of the Jedi did improve things a bit. Had they made the villains just the Lost Tribe it might actually have been good, but no, they had to throw Abeloth in there...

I dropped it by then.

*********** Daala being named Chief of State was the final straw. I decided that the EU had run out of ideas on where to go next with later events in the timeline and was just throwing random **** at the wall, and I wasn't going to pay for that ****.

Fortunately stuff set earlier in the timeline managed to be good so I didn't drop Star Wars entirely.

Edited by dcaleb

Everything pre bane imo is where the good stuff is rest just fluff

My preference is for the early post-ROTJ stuff, like Thrawn, X-wing, Corellian Trilogy and Jedi Academy/I, Jedi (I, Jedi more than Jedi Academy, how they handled Kyp annoyed me a bit)

Bane and Old Republic stuff comes in after that on my scale.

I also prefer the stuff from pre-Ban and the rule of two. It was way more awesome back when there were a bunch of jedi and sith around then when there was a huge imbalance. Edited by dcaleb

Pass, do not want. Not to mention in the EU/Legends the Vong don't show up for thousands of years from now aside from one minor sighting earlier. You'd have to shoehorn them in.

Yah. Not into the Vong either, but it sort of defeats the entire purpose of the series by having them appear prior.

In a way a enemy like the Vong would have been better than the eternal empire. By doing so it has made the story 'difficult' for the none force using classes as they should not even stand a chance against Valkroians family.

At least something like the Vong provide a formidable enemy against force using classes but can also be combated through 'normal' means.

No. Just no.

They were the beginning of the end for the EU as far as I was concerned. Those books were almost all awful.

I might be more angry at disney for wiping the EU except that in doing so, they purged the Vong and Legacy of the Force series, which makes me very happy.

Yup. After that came the horrific Darth krayt and his one true sith. My eyes felt like they were on fire reading that pathetic rag tag drivel.

• 3 weeks later...
No. Just no.

Are you telling me you disliked DARTH TALON! HOW DARE YOU!!!!!

I enjoyed most of the New Jedi Order series, but nothing set after it. Dark Nest Travesty (I mean Trilogy) was 98% garbage, with only the scenes of Luke finding recordings of Anakin & Padmé in R2-D2 even vaguely readable. Legacy of the Force was beyond pathetic (despite some good laughs in Alston's books), with everyone having to misplace their brains for it to go past book three. Never read any of Fate of the Jedi, and everything I have heard about it tells me I'm better off for not reading that set. Never read any of the comics either, so can't comment on those.

I may like the Vong, but having them suddenly invading thirty-six centuries early would feel so very wrong. I'd much rather an expansion to Empire at War that lets me fight them in the correct time period.

In my opinion, the Vong have no place in TOR. They are an alien race I loved to hate. Each victory they had made me sad, every defeat made me cheer. I KIND of understand the hate they get, but for me it was an epic ride through a very turbulent war. On the subject of the series over all and the EU in its entirety, I'm kind of biased as I have every book in the old EU and a good number of the comics as well. All of them (minus Karen Travesty's later writing) are 100000000 times better than the **** pile that is Episode 7 and the books surrounding it. I cant wait to watch Rogue One to get the bad taste out of my mouth.

I love SWTOR for many reasons... one of which is that this game is the last bastion for old EU lore.

I could get on-board with a one-off FP or a pair of linked ones (like Kaon / Lost Island or the CZ-198s) centered on a Vong advance ship that reached the GFFA a few millennia ahead of their main fleet (particularly since KOTOR had a reference to a Corralskipper). But I really don't think a whole plot-line devoted to the Vong would fit in SWTOR.

I enjoyed most of the New Jedi Order series, but nothing set after it. Dark Nest Travesty (I mean Trilogy) was 98% garbage, with only the scenes of Luke finding recordings of Anakin & Padmé in R2-D2 even vaguely readable. Legacy of the Force was beyond pathetic (despite some good laughs in Alston's books), with everyone having to misplace their brains for it to go past book three. Never read any of Fate of the Jedi, and everything I have heard about it tells me I'm better off for not reading that set. Never read any of the comics either, so can't comment on those.

I may like the Vong, but having them suddenly invading thirty-six centuries early would feel so very wrong. I'd much rather an expansion to Empire at War that lets me fight them in the correct time period.

Fate of the Jedi actually has some good stuff in it, it just has one massive gaping flaw that is Abeloth. And this is coming from someone who actually liked the Mortis arc on TCW.

And if you want to play with Vong, check out the Sins of a Galactic Empire mod for Sins of a Solar Empire Rebellion. Lets you play as Republic, CIS, Empire, Rebels, New Republic and Vong. I think they're even working on TOR era Republic and Empire

Edited by MadDutchman

I also enjoyed the NJO series, I did not like what the writers did with Jacen after the end of the series.