powertech dps

DarthSabreth

I have a question for some of the pro pvpers out there, does expertise protect players against powertech fire dps? I am a geared pvper and i hold my own against most players but it seems that powertechs burn my health alot faster than most other forms of dps.

I am not saying that powertechs are OP but my health does seem to drop much faster from their fire damage than most energy / kinetic damage that i recieve from other classes.

anyone know the answer to this? i posted in the customer service section asking the devs this question but i have yet to hear a reply to this.

Elemental damage bypasses all armor and railshot has 90% armor penetration. On a side note I still prefer to fight a PT than a sent with 4 defensive cooldowns and dot's that tick for 1.6k (internal/elemental) or to eat a 15k ravage (100% armor pen from gore).

Elemental damage bypasses all armor and railshot has 90% armor penetration. On a side note I still prefer to fight a PT than a sent with 4 defensive cooldowns and dot's that tick for 1.6k (internal/elemental) or to eat a 15k ravage (100% armor pen from gore).

I think that elemental damage I.E Fire should be protected via Armor and expertise. Again im not saying that they are O.P but if players take an increased loss of health against their fire dps vrs kinetic or energy based attacks then that puts them at a better advantage in a pvp fight.

not saying they need a nerf but everyone <=== should have the same protection wearing pvp gear against all forms of dps not just some so one class does not have an advantage over another class.

expertise is a straight dmg reduction. it does affect elemental. "reduces dmg taken."

most seem to disagree, i have had a few players on me in PVP and it takes a bit for them to take me down, however 1 powertech seems to take me down rather fast, the differance is their fire dps their burst dps takes me down much faster than kinetic / energy dps.

again not asking about nerfs or saying its unfair but i dont think that expertise protects against fire dps.

Edited by DarthSabreth

most seem to disagree, i have had a few players on me in PVP and it takes a bit for them to take me down, however 1 powertech seems to take me down rather fast, the differance is their fire dps their burst dps takes me down much faster than kinetic / energy dps.

again not asking about nerfs or saying its unfair but i dont think that expertise protects against fire dps.

Expertise does protect against fire damage, it is just that at the moment, powertechs are incredibly burst-y and can deal a lot of damage to everyone quickly. Furthermore, a lot of the damage you are feeling is probably coming from high impact bolt/rail shot, which is the hardest hitting ability in their rotation (also not fire damage, you just notice that due to the animation)

Expertise does protect against fire damage, it is just that at the moment, powertechs are incredibly burst-y and can deal a lot of damage to everyone quickly. Furthermore, a lot of the damage you are feeling is probably coming from high impact bolt/rail shot, which is the hardest hitting ability in their rotation (also not fire damage, you just notice that due to the animation)

thank you kindly for the feedback, thats the only class at the moment 1v1 that takes me down super fast due to their burst. most classes take me down but with some effort. the only other class that takes me down is assasin but that is because they interupt me alot so i cant fight back.

if you have incen and plasma on you, an assault plastique goes off at the same time he hits you with hib, you'll think you just got oneshot. it's actually one big dot, one little one, one BIG grenade and one BIG ranged attack that ignores most of your armor.

if you can cleanse tech, you should cleanse the incendiary. you won't be able to cleanse plasma cuz it reapplies on almost everything a van hits you with. but incen is a bigger dot anyway.

they hit really really hard, but they're considerably squishier than a sent with all his cds up. it's not a class that most ppl can 1v1, all other factors being equal.

Edited by foxmob

PT/Vanguard needs their burst to cost more in their resource pool in my opinion... very spam-y high burst move, included with a class that can pull and slow. :p

actually not, i broke out my old, old, old iron fist vanguard and dropped in the fotm spec and yes its huge damage but its random, when the numbers line up its crazy overpowered but when they dont its just another class to fight, unlike marauders/sentinels which are over the top all the time.

Pyro/assault has horrible resource management, changing that would break the spec entirely for pve and as a result will never make it to pvp. The "spammy" move will cap out heat incredibly quickly, pvp and pve

I wouldnt have an issue with having the top end damage clamp lowered

it's the rail shot that destroys you. The dots for pyrotech are more or less the cherry on top of the cake.

A good 20-30% of their damage comes directly from DoTs in a longer fight, seeing as they can only rail shot every 6 seconds.

A good 20-30% of their damage comes directly from DoTs in a longer fight, seeing as they can only rail shot every 6 seconds.

Of course. The funny thing is how a dot spec happened to have a very good burst. Smipers cannot even imagine smth like that with lethality.

That is what i thought as well, most of my health is lost when they run circles around me spraying me with fire. No other class can drop my health that fast on a consistant basis.

Yes , powertechs/vanguards is the new "tracer missile" spam class where tracer missile is instant. The pyro/assault tree is very boring to play though.

Their damage in pvp is insane and ruins all enjoyment in pvp when you meat a bunch of them in same wz. I saw how 2 powertechs bursted in 6 sec a war hero geared shadow tank healboted by commando.

The funny part is that vanguards/powertechs has been like this since release but not many people rolled them.

Yes , powertechs/vanguards is the new "tracer missile" spam class where tracer missile is instant. The pyro/assault tree is very boring to play though.

Their damage in pvp is insane and ruins all enjoyment in pvp when you meat a bunch of them in same wz. I saw how 2 powertechs bursted in 6 sec a war hero geared shadow tank healboted by commando.

The funny part is that vanguards/powertechs has been like this since release but not many people rolled them.

I agree, i do not think that it requires alot of skill to run in circles around a player and after a few moments he/she is dead. either the expertise is not protecting well against their dots or their burst is too high. i think that its the expertise that is flawed here and does not protect against the fire.

when ever i approach a fight with any other class i take damage at a constant rate, when ever i aproach a fight with a powertech my health drops very rapidly, no other class can do that kind of burst damage. Its almost getting to the point that every match i get into there is about 3 or 4 powertech running the show, 2 people will be fighting each other witling eachothers health down, then along comes 2 or 3 powertechs running in circles around each player taking them down fast.

commando heals are pretty slow and very dependent on rng/crit. it can be frustrating as hell to lose a guy before you can get off two casts (2 instants would have been cast also, so you're talking about 3-4 gcds).

Edited by foxmob

Technically, AP spec spams a move to stack up to five times and then nuke. Except that nuke is Aoe and channeled!

P.s. Sniper burst is in Lethality is basically like two equally geared pyrotechs fighting each other.

Technically, AP spec spams a move to stack up to five times and then nuke. Except that nuke is Aoe and channeled!

P.s. Sniper burst is in Lethality is basically like two equally geared pyrotechs fighting each other.

good point, but a snipers high dps abilities are #1 channeled #2 capable of being LOS'ed where as a powertech has spammable burst dps and cant be effectivley LOS'ed. snippers are in high demand in WZ,s / rateds because they can drop their fire aoe on a node that effertivley keeps players from accessing this node for the duration. its esspecially effective in cival war if the sniper is about to die pop that on the node and its guarded with out anyone there untill a team mate can get to that node to defend it.

PT/Vanguard needs their burst to cost more in their resource pool in my opinion... very spam-y high burst move, included with a class that can pull and slow. :p

PT/Vanguard has some of the highest resource cost of any AC. In fact, they're the only AC that -must- include the 0 cost auto attack as part of their rotation to keep heat/ammo under control.

Or the other class needs buffs.. be careful with the nurf hammer or we wont have a good chunk of the population to play with (example sorc nurf)

good point, but a snipers high dps abilities are #1 channeled #2 capable of being LOS'ed where as a powertech has spammable burst dps and cant be effectivley LOS'ed. snippers are in high demand in WZ,s / rateds because they can drop their fire aoe on a node that effertivley keeps players from accessing this node for the duration. its esspecially effective in cival war if the sniper is about to die pop that on the node and its guarded with out anyone there untill a team mate can get to that node to defend it.

Corrections.

The engineer tree is where the 31 point talent AOE is at, and not all of the attacks are channeled. They are not as heavily affected by LOS as a leathality sniper.

When a eng sniper dies the AOE disappears as well.

Engineer snipers have pretty good burst potential as well, its not just leathality snipers with burst.