Blizz: Is he really that bad?

Severntyfirfty

Blizz is a "ranged" tank ("ranged" being a misnomer attached to all companions of his type). He's not going to be that useful since you're either spec'd tank, which means you'd rather run around with heals/DPS, or you're DPS and you want the heals to limit downtime. Blizz is good for Bodyguard Mercenaries, since he can sit there and take blows while you can supply DPS and keep him topped off, basically meaning that you have little to no combined downtime. Besides for healers, he's not great just because of the possible BH roles means that he's not a common choice, especially since you get Mako so early that she makes every other companion basically irrelevant.

I'm getting really bored of using Mako. Just got blizz. I'm a Powertech Tank- is he really that awful of a companion?

wrong, read my post,

he is the only 1 whom can let u solo 50 h4,

if u r a pt dps.

Edited by oakamp

I love the character but in combat he annoys me by pulling himself towards mele DPS enemies rather then standing back and opening fire. Like Kalio Djannis for the IA the ranged tank companion is broken. Scadge is terrible too and gault is average so I use Torian,Mako and HK51

Havnt got my PT up enough to get Blizz, but I was able to level fine on my Jugg using tank companions. Maybe a little slower then it could be, but its a lot more fun to use different companions once in a while. Heck Ill even respec depending on what companion I feel like using(which has a side benefit of also changing up my playstyle), but I play for fun/story and dont give a two hoots as to if I could have leveled a character a few hours earlier.

The only issue is keeping them all geared if you swap too often.

I love the character but in combat he annoys me by pulling himself towards mele DPS enemies rather then standing back and opening fire. Like Kalio Djannis for the IA the ranged tank companion is broken. Scadge is terrible too and gault is average so I use Torian,Mako and HK51

You can turn off companion abilities.

Blizz is the **** if you control him the way you should . He is by far my favorite companion across all my toons. I dont always use him but when i do its a blast. I always set him a target or 2 while the group handles the rest. The issue is since he's AI people forget that he wont react the way a good player would so make it easy on him.

Gear him out , Sick him on 1-2 foes that are troublesome. Do NO DPS to those targets till everything else is dead. Then go to town on one of them. Focus dps order and you are fine.

Key bind his charge and flame burst. If you are in a group bind those as well and target mark the kill order.

<3 Blizz Forever

I like to hang out with Blizz because he's amusing. He seems to rather enjoy blowing crap up and is like an excited little kid with a bazooka that constantly wants your approval. Being tank spec, I tend to do most of the things I need to without worrying about death too much, though I don't do the newer dailies a lot.

He's worth having around, but as has been said, Mako tends to be good for the healing aspect of things.

He's humorous and a fun companion as far as the story side of things go, but even after I dropped some money to gear him it didn't really accomplish anything.

Since even the range oriented Mercenary class is better off just having Mako around, since with very limited micro she'll give you the lowest downtime along with better CC than Blizz can provide even if you manually manage his kit.

Assuming no extra micro on your part, Mako demolishes Blizz in terms of sustain for tougher enemies. And even Torian/Gault do better jobs of cleaning up weaker enemies than Blizz.

if his hitpoints are not at the same level as yours then gear him out in all orange gear

and pop all +endurance and defense mods in to the gear.

He has a dps stance, but you still should gear him in tank-type mods/gear.

Once I got his HP up to at least close to mine and gave him better defensive mods the little guy can take a decent licking and keep on ticking.

Edited by The_Duck

Torian seems to be the best one. He hops from foe to foe killing them quickly.

Without a doubt, Torian. Best companion of any on the Sith side and serveral I've tried on the republic. All my companions are well geared and I use them all but when it comes down to a real difficult fight or large groups Torian is the one.

Torian is so good that I'm not even going to try to get the HK droid. I do have HK on my Marauder fully geared with assassin gear and he's still not better then Torian who I have and is also well geared.

Edited by RikHar

I did some tests a couple of months ago to determine which is the better tank companion, Skadge or Blizz. I gave them both identical gear (tank rakata/columni mix) and had them take turns fighting several gold elites, several silver elites, and several groups of normal mobs, all in the Belsavis daily area.

Blizz outperformed Skadge on all fronts, killing the groups of normal mobs faster than Skadge, and surviving longer against the elites and doing more damage to them then Skadge.:)