The requirement to win is, for the most part, making PvP less competitive

Craydingus

I will acknowledge that this isn't a hard and fast rule, but a trend. There are players who will still try to win, or at least save face in the midst of an impending defeat. These people, though, are the few, and they're the kind of people who didn't need the negative reinforcement of a loser-gets-skunked mission rewards system to be motivated to win in the first place.

An increasing number of PvPers, when faced with the fact that their team is at a clear disadvantage, will basically try to accelerate the loss, instead of putting up a fight. This includes actions such as letting nodes get taken on purpose in capture-point maps, taking the huttball towards their own endzone so the enemy can score more easily in HB, /stucking in arenas, and on any map, sitting in the middle of nowhere doing nothing. There were a few players who engaged in this self-sabotaging behavior before the devs made it so that only wins could progress PvP missions, but they were known trolls, and few and far between. In my experience, instances of people effectively ceding warzones have gone way up since the mission rewards system got tampered with. This isn't coincidence.

It's not hard to see the incentives here. When people are in a likely-to-lose (and possibly un-fun as a consequence) PvP match, for which they will get zero mission progress, it's in their interest to let the thing end as soon as possible and hope to get a more favorable match-up next warzone. Would-be close games turn into roflstomps because of deflated player morale.

Devs, you have all the evidence in the world that the implementation of a wins-only-count PvP mission rewards system was a bad idea. Its intended effect was to give incentive to win, and it's done the opposite, while adding all kind of needless toxicity and tension to PvP. It's not as though the player base is only complaining without offering solutions, either. You've been pitched a more-than-adequate plethora of suggestions on how to fix it; Win-to-loss-point ratios of 3:1, 4:1, or even 5:1 as used in the old ranked missions, and sliding point rewards based on individual objective play, to name a few things people have come up with. If you want us to believe that you value player feedback, undo this ham-fisted change ASAP.

Generally speaking I've had the opposite experience.

I've had more Huttball matches end with a 1 point difference, more node capture maps end with a smaller gap in points between the 2 teams etc etc..

1 team steam rolling another and shutting them down to win still happens on occasion but not nearly as frequently as it used to be.

Overall, I find there are more players putting forth good effort to try and win and learn to play as a team.

The changes have been a good thing as far as i can tell.

• 2 weeks later...

I do not know why will people will give up on winning or trying to win. Even so worse in Arena. I am one that never gives up.... Actually the matches who are close and you win against all odds are the most fun and really make you feel good about the game.

A month or so ago I was I was in CW we where losing with turrets 600 - 400, then I take Snow, and a couple of players leave in around this time. Two player join in, we take grass at under the half mark, but we manage to take mid. Guess what happens we manage to win with just 90 points in our team. One of the best games in recent months.

I also like the OPG wz for the same reason cause of the close games you can have, and how a bit tactical objective mind can really make it for one of the most challenging WZ.

Edited by limenutpen

Regs and competitive is a misnomer. It’s not been competing since 2014-2015.

If you think that you should have stopped queing since 2016. There is competitive games in regs, it is a 20/80. In ranked the percentages are a bit higher, I would say 40/60.

I’ll be completely honest, I have as OP put it “ceded” or “thrown” matches to the other team if I felt like it was an inevitable loss. Not proud of it. I shouldn’t do it, but there is a real incentive to have the match end quickly and queue up again rather than rage quit and be stuck with a 15 min lockout. I’ve run the hutball the wrong way and passed to the other team. I’ve let people cap, intentionally fighting off nodes. I’ve sat in a corner afk. I’ve /stuck in arenas. I’ve pulled teammates into fire traps as a sorc. Yes, I am a scumbag. Would I still throw matches if loses counted toward weeklies and there was no lockout? Probably. Wins would still be better than losses and I’d still want to get the losses over quickly. At the same time, I find myself throwing more often now than I was before these new rules were implemented.

• 2 weeks later...

While I am not the best PVP player, I always try my best and find ways to help and support the better players.

The only reason I even started PVP regularly was that I planned to do KOTFE at some point and needed a certain Valor level for one of the companion characters.

Then I found that I enjoyed PVP and continued playing even after I reached the required Valor level. It was fun, even when my team lost, and quick way of getting experience, credit and other items.

From my experience, I find the new rules for the daily and weekly missions frustrating since I have to grind more to finish them, but still fun.

yeah. it's kind of a kick in the d*(& when you get zero resources from a loss vs. 100 for a win. I'd say that's much bigger than the daily/weekly complaining (I mean, if you can't pull off a win a night, it really is you...at least on SF). only playing pvp is painful for this gear grind. stupid incremental box drops keep giving me on-use relics! :(

I'm running around on a 270 assault and yeah. I mean, I'm definitely not topping dps meters, but I'm effective (even in arenas).

still though...jfc. the damn vendor took all of my bling for one frickin tactical. and because I didn't run through the retarded story on this toon, I didn't even have the generic freebie. :rolleyes:

My biggest issue with the stupid new change is that it has gone from 5 wins, to 10. What you used to be able to get done in 1 night now takes a stupid amount of time. I have more then 1 character I like to play.

I have stopped doing the dailies and weeklies. It's just not worth the frustration. Now, I don't care if I win or lose (so much), I just try to play my best. Not chasing the wins has helped me be more relaxed and enjoy what time I can when I pvp.

It's not a good answer for most, I know, but it has helped me. Of course, I don't want to get in games where my team is roflstomped by premades either. That's a bunch of garbage...that needs to be addressed.

I have stopped doing the dailies and weeklies. It's just not worth the frustration. Now, I don't care if I win or lose (so much), I just try to play my best. Not chasing the wins has helped me be more relaxed and enjoy what time I can when I pvp.

It's not a good answer for most, I know, but it has helped me. Of course, I don't want to get in games where my team is roflstomped by premades either. That's a bunch of garbage...that needs to be addressed.

Ive found it more relaxing to just stop pvping and I’m playing the game much less. The concern is how many others have decided to do the same as me. It certainly won’t be healthy for the game if to many players decide to do the same.