64 Bit Client coming? Please say yes!

Crothu

Has anyone heard if a 64 bit client is in the works?

In my experience when games have made the jump it has been a night and day difference. Hell I might even, dare I say it, turn shadows on! :eek:

But yes. SWTOR it is time. 64 bit client time. The 32 bit empire has ruled long enough.

I would be stunned if they made such a switch.

Horrible technical challenges of changing client architecture aside, the effect it would have on the game would be minimal unless they also updated huge swathes of the game to take advantage of the larger address space. Of course, then people would be coming here to complain about SWTOR taking too much RAM...

64 bit is not a magic wand.

64-bit single-threaded doesn't get you much farther than 32-bit single-threaded except for things like memory addressing and the length of variables, the lack of which isn't what the swtor client suffers from.

Multi-core utilization is more important than bittage for this game client. The operating system can do some multi-core assignment on its own, but that's clumsy and crude and generic at best. Real work would need to be done to identify and split up processes that could be dedicated within the client to multiple cores to make more functions work in parallel, but then -- you're looking at a mixed bag for those players whose computers have different core counts.

Edited by xordevoreaux

64-bit single-threaded doesn't get you much farther than 32-bit single-threaded except for things like memory addressing and the length of variables, the lack of which isn't what the swtor client suffers from.

Multi-core utilization is more important than bittage for this game client. The operating system can do some multi-core assignment on its own, but that's clumsy and crude and generic at best. Real work would need to be done to identify and split up processes that could be dedicated within the client to multiple cores to make more functions work in parallel, but then -- you're looking at a mixed bag for those players whose computers have different core counts.

64 bit is needed for more multi core support. But you are right, they would need to make sure the game runs better on multi cores and would also need to add DX12 + support to get the real benefit from 64bit on today’s PC hardware.

Edited by TrixxieTriss

I do not like this idea. This is a 2011 game and I don't think it's worth upsetting 32-bit Windows owners who still play it.

long term support for the last 32 bit windows ends next january and 2020 was an extra extended support. lts should only be relevant for companies and goverment organisations with huge amount of legacy software.

IT Sercurity should be upset of people using such os.

the cost of updating legacy software would be like selling a new game...

Well, if a relatively small, and cash poor, studio like SSG can do so for LOTRO I am sure Bioware/EA can do so for SWTOR.

Which means if they don't it is ONLY because they don't want to spend money on improving the player experience.

Which is, ironically, just about the ONLY fitting legacy for Bioware/EA.

All The Best

I do not like this idea. This is a 2011 game and I don't think it's worth upsetting 32-bit Windows owners who still play it.

It's 2019...time to update that operating system my friend. Still using MySpace too?

Edited by TUXs

I didn't know support was ending in 2020 for 32 bit.

They will have to update. The only scenario i can think of is that much might be riding on onslaught. We'll see.

God... thinking about it, they should have done it before onslaught. Performance is the last major hurdle of the engine to overcome. Been getting things like charges that only go half way to the target in pvp far too often. That code needs fixing and better performance would not hurt (especially for those ossus world bosses that are nearly unplayable).

Edited by Nemmar

64 bit is needed for more multi core support.

Rubbish. 32-bit code, if correctly constructed, is just as capable of being multithreaded as correctly constructed 64-bit code is.

And, frankly, it doesn't matter whether that's across multiple cores, multiple (hyper)threads on a single core(1), or even multiple physical CPU chips with one singlethreaded core each..

What "64-bit" gets you is the ability to use larger amounts of memory per process, nothing more and nothing less. That, of course, does give you some benefits, but those benefits are entirely unrelated to multithreading.

Anti-disclaimer: (for those who aren't already aware) I'm a programmer, although not of video games. Being a programmer has paid my rent for over thirty years.

(1) For sure, "multiple" here means "one or two", but...

The operating system can do some multi-core assignment on its own,

Only if the program is structured for it. The OS will *not* assign different chunks of a program's code to different execution units *in*parallel* unless the program asks for it to do that.

Rubbish. 32-bit code, if correctly constructed, is just as capable of being multithreaded as correctly constructed 64-bit code is.

And, frankly, it doesn't matter whether that's across multiple cores, multiple (hyper)threads on a single core(1), or even multiple physical CPU chips with one singlethreaded core each..

What "64-bit" gets you is the ability to use larger amounts of memory per process, nothing more and nothing less. That, of course, does give you some benefits, but those benefits are entirely unrelated to multithreading.

Anti-disclaimer: (for those who aren't already aware) I'm a programmer, although not of video games. Being a programmer has paid my rent for over thirty years.

That was actually rather interesting...a rarity for these forums :D

*mic drop*

• 7 months later...