Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Compassion, Healing or Love for the Broken Dark Princess: Vaylin Appreciation <3

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Compassion, Healing or Love for the Broken Dark Princess: Vaylin Appreciation <3

Thenightvortex
09.06.2019 , 07:05 AM | #2541
«vitiate is still his father and Arcann plots to have the outlander kill him and also tries to. While his action seems born of hate (that only applies to the fratricide) his attack on daddy not only seems premeditated but he also reaps the benefits right after and freezes the outlander... in ancient law/religion patricide was always one of the worst crimes. particularly if with intent of inheriting that role (Locke often compares father/king)... Arann also only kills the tyrant to replace him himself.. which transcends the point.
Tyranicide (spelling? ) on the other has been excused at times in history - for example Dante's divine comedy places Brutus and Cassius in the Limbo but would be otherwise be granted access to purgatory - and there is a discussion in the related chapter on tyranicide not being (always a major crime) <while by shakespears time G. Ceasar is viewed as a positive figure, only 200 years earlier he was just viewed as an evil tyrant.»

Oh, am definitely not arguing about all the the stuff Arcann did straight after killing his father, he’s done a lot of stupid crap, but as far as killing Valkorion his rage was justified and I can’t really blame him for that. Considering what Vitiate did to the galaxy, they wouldn’t either.

BTW, is killing Valkorion tyranicide? As bad as he was, he did appear as a benevolent emperor to Zakuul.

«well when she returns in chapter 8 she is there to face Vaylin, with outlander and arcann, and in chapter 9 she not only is there to buy time for the outlander but is also there to help kill vitiate.
Moreover, the opening cinematic is basically about senya, and since Vaylin who is the main antagonist isnt redeemed into a hero position senya remains the focus. Furthermore (), the whole iokath parenthesis is a huge offtopic from the story so far (and its conclusion) - kotet kotfe is basically about valkorions family, and the only 'way' i make sense of iokath chapters is as preparation for the story after kotet.
So considering the chapters still focusing on valkorion &co 1-3 and from nathema onward (6 or 7?) Senya still however helps further define Vaylins struggle as is a prominent influence even when offscreen. She also is one of the few characters (aside from outlander) whos intentions are clear and 'good' (D&D) and well written (lanas motivation seem very samaritan, even as dark side i don't recall her ever not making choices for the benefit of the greater good (and rarely has a personal agenda).»

Yeah, that makes sense, it is a story more focused on the royal family more than anything else, not Senya specifically, but still. She is sometimes annoying with claims like “their blood is on our hands” though, even if intentions are good. Vaylin isn’t really the main antagonist I’d say, she is made to look like one(same with Arcann in KOTFE) but in the end it is still Vitiate(he has been since pretty much the Mandalorian Wars)

On Iokath: Have no idea what they wanted with it, it seems terribly out of place and has no point even after KOTET, but it is most likely a result of BW reducing two expansions into one half.

banimoka
10.22.2019 , 08:10 AM | #2542
haven't played the new campaign BUT if Tenebrae gets to live after all of what happened then
- i want Vaylin as a companion
a Bonus Chapter would be a good idea
- maybe find out that the Horizon Guard / Arcann are taking Vaylin's body to the Mother Machine ( Ashaa ) to try and restore it
- here you could have the option to re-recruit Arcann ( if u managed to murked him )
- revivify Vaylin & get her as a companion
- be able to chose their path , encourage Arcann & Vaylin to focus on the dark side OR light
- get companion customization for Light / Dark side versions
- for Vaylin it could be LIGHT = blue eyes , blonde hair ( like in the trailer ) ; DARK could be her crazy yellow eyes + dark hair
* give Dual Specialization ( with saved Keybinds / Action Bars / Utility Points )
* give Vaylin ( Light Side Sith Sorcerer / Dark Side Sith Warrior )

Thenightvortex
10.22.2019 , 12:46 PM | #2543
Quote: Originally Posted by banimoka View Post
haven't played the new campaign BUT if Tenebrae gets to live after all of what happened then
- i want Vaylin as a companion
a Bonus Chapter would be a good idea
- maybe find out that the Horizon Guard / Arcann are taking Vaylin's body to the Mother Machine ( Ashaa ) to try and restore it
- here you could have the option to re-recruit Arcann ( if u managed to murked him )
- revivify Vaylin & get her as a companion
- be able to chose their path , encourage Arcann & Vaylin to focus on the dark side OR light
- get companion customization for Light / Dark side versions
- for Vaylin it could be LIGHT = blue eyes , blonde hair ( like in the trailer ) ; DARK could be her crazy yellow eyes + dark hair
Bonus chapter would be great, and they have done one already with HK 55, this one gives a lot more variety depending on whether you kept Senya/Arcann and whether you want to have light/dark Vaylin. I’d also say that I want the romance but it can’t be done properly with the 2 minute cutscene format, at least the one with a healed LS Vaylin.

Could do without Tenebrae getting to live, he should stay dead. I really liked him as an antagonist/villain, but we killed him thrice and then destroyed his spirit after which he is told to be 100% dead. If he comes back, I doubt there will be anything that will make his next death believable.

Paulsutherland
10.22.2019 , 11:24 PM | #2544
Heh, surprised this is still around.

If anyone is interested there's a BF2 mod that re-skins Rey to Vaylin.

gamephil
01.07.2020 , 04:53 PM | #2545
Quote: Originally Posted by Thenightvortex View Post
Bonus chapter would be great, and they have done one already with HK 55, this one gives a lot more variety depending on whether you kept Senya/Arcann and whether you want to have light/dark Vaylin. I’d also say that I want the romance but it can’t be done properly with the 2 minute cutscene format, at least the one with a healed LS Vaylin.

Could do without Tenebrae getting to live, he should stay dead. I really liked him as an antagonist/villain, but we killed him thrice and then destroyed his spirit after which he is told to be 100% dead. If he comes back, I doubt there will be anything that will make his next death believable.
I do like the idea of a bonus chapter for a healing thing. Arcann and Senya can be involved, as ghosts if necessary, one more time, then move on after they help save her if dead. I'd prefer them to live if we allowed them to, but BW has the whole "you can't save everyone" thing, so they might not go for that. But, since I feel the story was poorly thought out and/or rushed, I'd just as soon save them all. Two to five minutes of game time, hopefully that's not too hard for the devs.

And, yeah, if Vitiate gets to come back at any time, I'm not going to be happy, unless he brings her back with him some how. It just reinforces a trend that I don't care for at this point. There was a time I wouldn't have minded, he's that kind of villain, but after KotET, for personal reasons along with "yeah you really killed him this time", I would not be thrilled.

Paulsutherland
01.08.2020 , 08:06 AM | #2546
Quote: Originally Posted by gamephil View Post
I do like the idea of a bonus chapter for a healing thing. Arcann and Senya can be involved, as ghosts if necessary, one more time, then move on after they help save her if dead. I'd prefer them to live if we allowed them to, but BW has the whole "you can't save everyone" thing, so they might not go for that. But, since I feel the story was poorly thought out and/or rushed, I'd just as soon save them all. Two to five minutes of game time, hopefully that's not too hard for the devs.

And, yeah, if Vitiate gets to come back at any time, I'm not going to be happy, unless he brings her back with him some how. It just reinforces a trend that I don't care for at this point. There was a time I wouldn't have minded, he's that kind of villain, but after KotET, for personal reasons along with "yeah you really killed him this time", I would not be thrilled.
Rise of Skywalker Spoilers
Spoiler

Do you think they'll bring him back again? I suspect we'll end up in another scenario where we have to choose between Kira and Scourge or Malgus and Satele.

gamephil
01.08.2020 , 08:32 AM | #2547
Quote: Originally Posted by Paulsutherland View Post
Rise of Skywalker Spoilers
Spoiler
I have a couple of issues: One is simply that I don't know that anything from the sequel series will go over well in the game. The second is that these methods are too open-ended, I would like one (or probably a couple, really, but mostly this one) character brought back, but it should be by a method that is unique and not repeatable. I'd rather not have a revolving door of death to get her back, just a clearly one time thing. I wouldn't even want that if I didn't find her story so utterly contemptible.

But, because I find it contemptible, I would accept any of these methods if that's what we get. Or a ghost, since Yoda can blast things I think she could.

Quote: Originally Posted by Paulsutherland View Post
Do you think they'll bring him back again? I suspect we'll end up in another scenario where we have to choose between Kira and Scourge or Malgus and Satele.
Yeah, I absolutely think that he'll be back if the game lasts long enough for it*. I expect to see their Revan at some point, also. Because nostalgia is a powerful force, especially at the point when they start bleeding customers, which is going to happen, eventually. I'd LIKE to see it at least give me something I want when it happens, I don't expect it to.

Hope I'm wrong, that it either doesn't happen or, better, that it does but has a good payoff (he brings her with him), but I don't see any reason to be optimistic.

*I'm not expecting them to close their doors any time soon, just saying that it will happen eventually.

Paulsutherland
01.08.2020 , 04:31 PM | #2548
In red

Quote: Originally Posted by gamephil View Post
I have a couple of issues: One is simply that I don't know that anything from the sequel series will go over well in the game. The second is that these methods are too open-ended, I would like one (or probably a couple, really, but mostly this one) character brought back, but it should be by a method that is unique and not repeatable. I'd rather not have a revolving door of death to get her back, just a clearly one time thing. I wouldn't even want that if I didn't find her story so utterly contemptible.

Well if it required the bond between say mother - daughter then it would be a one time thing but yeah I get you.

But, because I find it contemptible, I would accept any of these methods if that's what we get. Or a ghost, since Yoda can blast things I think she could.

A ghost companion would be cool. Heh maybe Vaylin can do a Revan and split? Then we'll have Ghost Vaylin and Real Vaylin?

Yeah, I absolutely think that he'll be back if the game lasts long enough for it*. I expect to see their Revan at some point, also. Because nostalgia is a powerful force, especially at the point when they start bleeding customers, which is going to happen, eventually. I'd LIKE to see it at least give me something I want when it happens, I don't expect it to.
Me too although I don't think Revan would have the same effect as he did during Shadow of Revan.

Hope I'm wrong, that it either doesn't happen or, better, that it does but has a good payoff (he brings her with him), but I don't see any reason to be optimistic.

We'll have to wait and see. I think it comes out in February?

*I'm not expecting them to close their doors any time soon, just saying that it will happen eventually.

Never give up on home, Brother Phil!

Eshvara
01.08.2020 , 04:34 PM | #2549
The love thread has returneth!
#Arcannite
For The Empire

Paulsutherland
01.08.2020 , 04:47 PM | #2550
Quote: Originally Posted by Eshvara View Post
The love thread has returneth!
Hey Esh Long time no see ... I thought I would pop the weekly sub ... thing and see how it's all going.