Yes we can!

Qwurdilu

this is true at first glance. However reality is more complicated. There are more dps players than tank and healers, thats a given. However, theres way more tank and healer players, than actually are playing now. In reality healers and tanks are carry roles, and on many servers getting one or the other healer/tank decides if you win or lose. This results in newcomers or not-as-good-players beeing met with toxicity and most of the time they will stop queing. This circle jerk needs to stop. Right now this community, and its really the same on all server ive been playing, absolutely hates on "new players" and asks them to stop queing. That system needs to stop.

The other thing is this community tendency to use all advantages. I know a lot of healers and tanks that just dont que up in that specific role, when certain players are in que. They go dps instead, because it increases their chance.

And why wouldnt they? When theres the best healer in que, and youre the only other healer, why even bother to que?

third is class balance. Obviously without tanks, you dont want to face a sorchealer as an operative. Thats why you dont see many ops queing for solo right now.

You could fight all of these issues with the system i proposed.

Which is why arenas are broken and will never work. Sorry, which among the reasons why arenas are broken and will never work.

Stating solo ranked is more popular based on participation is absurd. Of course solo ranked has more participation, but that is because teamranked doesnt work right now. What you see in reality is Teams queing in solo, you see tons of q-syncing on all servers. There are plenty of voicechats full of solo ranked players. Its easier and better for most players to exploit solo ranked than queing up for team. Thats why solo has more participation.

There is no other way to fight q-syncing and teams abusing soloranked other than merging both ques.

Splitting team and solo always leaves place for abusement, because there will always be ways for teams and groups to play as a team in solo. Thats why modern games like overwatch dont differentiate between solo and group. Its one que for all.

"solo players to PUG in the group queue where they will feed organized teams." Thats only side of the medal. The other is 4 highly skilled solo players may still win against an averaged skilled premade. Deciding who faces who is a powerfull tool that needs to be done by matchmaking and not players. Players will always abuse it.

If you dont merge ques you will always have "teams" playing in solo, and thus teammode will never properly work. Its human nature.

tl;dr

In order to have a system thats not easily exploitable and a system that encourages teamplay you need to merge ques. Theres no way around it.

The solution in this case would be cross faction. The reason why group queue sync is because it allows them to feast on the low hanging fruit that is disorganized PUGs. What you are proposing is picking the fruit and setting up a buffet. Getting rid of solo queue to stop groups from abusing it is a bit like throwing the baby out with the bathwater to protect it from the pedophile next door.

As for Overwatch, I haven't played it enough to know all the details but there's one thing I know and the second I am fairly certain of. The first is that it has a built in chat server that everyone is put into and can hear regardless of whether or not they're miked. The second is that matchmaking prioritizes parties against each other so that teams are more likely to be pitted against other teams (with a margin of error for mixed groups).

And while we're on this topic, LoL, Smite, I'm fairly certain DotA, every single major MOBA features solo/duo ranked play almost exclusively. So, no, every modern game most certainly does not merge both queues.

Thats a blatant lie. I never assumed trinity fixes arenas. period. I said its a requirement to fix arenas. I said without forced trinity there will never be proper class balance.

Games going into acid is a problem based on the inflation of defensives which origins in the lack of trinity. If you want to properly balance classes and fix arenas, you need to introduce forced trinity first. But then you need to keep working on balancing classes, theres much to do. However, forced trinity would be a huge step to much more balanced games.

Semantics. Arenas will never be balanced. It cannot be done. They've never been balanced they will never be balanced. Even if you force trinity you're still stuck with imbalances between different support classes. You might not be saying that it "automatically" fixes arenas but you are strongly implying that forcing trinity will make the solution readily apparent. At best, forcing trinity makes balancing the game just as murky as it is now and at worst it continues to be impossible. I could go further and point out that the defensive skills you're complaining about are already a part of the game and aren't likely to be removed without major class overhauls. That probably isn't going to happen, period, and certainly isn't going to happen until the next iteration a little less than a year from now. Again, what you're proposing would take years to implement and adjust before it becomes readily apparent whether or not it works and I would say most people aren't willing to give ranked arenas that much more time.

Bioware does not have much content for PVP. This Light vs Dark is good, but no one is going ot run aroung the galaxy trying to find where something spawned. They should create a PvP map and hold PvP events (similiar to Gree). One game has a fortress that players have to battle for and capture. There's mobs and bosses and puzzles (just like an ops) but you have ot kill each other to control the obectives.

Ranked is not doing so well because of FEAR. A lot of players are afraid to step into rank because they are afraid people will get on their case for whatever reason. I was told to kill myself because ai was not guard swapping.... Needless to say I was trying ot taunt, intercde and guard swap as best as I could, when i wasnt stunned or netted.... But, I;ve decided I am gonna get the ranked 8 season rewards ,come hell or high water.

I disagree with the trinity thing. Whenever you have 2 DPs, a tank and a healer, the match always goes to acid, and its which ever team has the sage/sorc that wins, those matcces are long and boring and no one is dying, unless somebody messes up somewhere.

Making it the best way to faarm CPX will only compound the toxicity because a lot of trolls will just queue up and stand around doing nothing; it will happen.

Team ranked won't see much love because it does require a lot of skill, and as someone mentioned earlier, most of us don't have time for that and even if we did, we not that serious about the game anyways. What BW probably needs ot do is have tournaments like other games.. .spice things up a little. But then you'd have to actually have CMs that interact with people in game.

But in all fairness solo ranked is popping on Harbinger and the players arent so bad.If you at lerast try to pull your weight, they will leave you alone :D

I don't think anything that has been discussed here is the sole root of all problems with group ranked / solo ranked. Rather, its an amalgam. Hence, one simple (or not so simple) fix to one facet of ranked PVP is not going to improve the situation which we currently have.

Actually though, we are witnessing a solution that has nothing to do with matchmaking (the lack of which is frustrating), faction imbalance (that invites Sync: MVPs *cough*) lack of trinity (which I lament), OP classes (there are no blatantly blatantly OP classes, just classes that are easier to play well. Mercs *cough*), underpowered DPS classes (there are some, like Juggs, Sorc, PT, Operative) or the clear pecking order of healers and Tanks.

Quite to the contrary, the solution has nothing to do with gameplay. It is only the incentives that will get people to play a certain game mode. To date, 65k solo ranked matches have been played over the course of Season 8, compared to 67k matches that were played during the entirety of Season 7. We are already above the numbers of Season 5 and 6, which lasted longer in time than Season 8 has so far. I am quite positive that we will see the highest solo ranked participation since Season 1/2. (All numbers courtesy of TorCommunity.com)

Why is that? Because of the grind instituted with 5.0. The decent CXP payouts from solo ranked are enough of a reason, apparently, that people are playing more of this game mode. It is as simple as that.

Institute an incentive to queue group ranked and people will do so. Right now, there is no incentive for all those groups in regs queue to play group ranked. If there was a big enough incentive, more would do and hence would instantly solve much of the problems associated with matchmaking.

Make CXP payouts bigger for group ranked. Not gamebreaking, but a lot bigger. See participation rise. I know, it is only a crutch. I would much rather have them find solutions to the real problems i stated above and are quite obvious to anyone playing PVP in this game. But I lost the belief that they can change all this a long time ago.

you can't have your cake and eat it too. For years, the persistent lamentation is "scrubs" "noobs" "trolls," or whatever other creative adjective people came up with, in PvP, which lead to a lot of toxicity, which in turn acted as a behemoth, baring players from PvP.

Whatever incentive BW introduces for group ranked will bring these same "unwanted players" to PvP, in droves. Now, are we content with have regular queue pops with mediocre game-play or do we prefer the elitist paradigm?