Am I the only one that thinks crafting is worthless in this game?

Miffy

No one ever buys anything I craft and I can loot everything people craft any ways so I just end up selling my loot and making more money than when I craft. None of the professions are even worthwhile, you cannot craft anything that looks unique and everything I loot seems to give me the same stats.

What would have been useful is having an Image Designer like in SWG where players could go to see you and choose unique styles of hair or make up etc etc. Something else that would have been good is to actually have slicing and smuggling in the game of underworld goods that you cannot loot. People who could change the colour of your gear or people who could create unique droids and vehicles. Instead everything either looks the same is is completely worthless to what you can loot. Biochems could have been able to craft things that are just fun like stims that change the colour of the whole world or something. Even Cybertechs that could craft special discs to play at catinas or something.

None of that exists in the game, instead the whole thing feels useless because I can loot everything.

Crafting is only worthless because the GTN is clunky and worthless.

They make the GTN name searchable without any other fields AND entirely factionwide rather than regional as well as drastically reduce the deposit costs and it'll be fine.

While it would be nice for some crafting to exceed quested gear, people will still buy crafted materials and final combines if they're at least accessible. It's also far too costly to put up items in the GTN right now...while it's relatively inexpensive *if* the item sells, the deposit you pay if it doesn't sell is crazy.

The game has just launched, give it some time for the economy to evolve. It may all depends on your server population needs though. My husband is making lots of money on selling his items in the auction house on our server. Snd I'm having a great use of my Biochem creations. Can't complain yet, and I'm sure that Bioware will enhance crafting sooner or later.

Crafting is only worthless because the GTN is clunky and worthless.

They make the GTN name searchable without any other fields AND entirely factionwide rather than regional as well as drastically reduce the deposit costs and it'll be fine.

While it would be nice for some crafting to exceed quested gear, people will still buy crafted materials and final combines if they're at least accessible. It's also far too costly to put up items in the GTN right now...while it's relatively inexpensive *if* the item sells, the deposit you pay if it doesn't sell is crazy.

Man, You hit it on the head. I really like this game, but the AH just seems like an afterthought.

I disagree. The crafting skills themselves are fairly awesome. After reverse engineering the blue versions of items those are definitely better than the mission rewards you find. There are a couple issues that make it seem completely wasted though:

1. It's ridiculously expensive (other than slicing). By the time you can afford to craft you have out-levelled the gear you can make by a big margin.

2. The GTN is horrible. They really should have just stolen the trade network from EVE. That is one of the things EVE did extremely well.

My wife and I were using slicing to fund our crafting across all our characters and really enjoyed ourselves. Now with slicing nerfed there is no way we will continue crafting. It's just too expensive. Maybe after we hit lvl50 on all our alts? Unfortunately all the benefits that could be had during levelling are lost and that is just sad.

I tend to agree with the above posts. I have 340+ in armor and nothing sells except for low level purples. The problem is to aquire the resourses to make 1 item it costs me much more than is worth and on top of that I cant advance level if I keep making low level items. I wouldnt mind making those though, but to find the rares to make them is far too expensive to make it worthwhile. Green stuff doesnt sell, Blue stuff is hit and miss, and I have yet to sell a purple above lvl 23 (I have lvl 25-39 mix of chests, helmets, legs, gloves and boots all purple on the GTN and have yet to sell 1. I am asking about 8k for purple chests, 3k for gloves). My prices are not high, in fact at those prices it is a major loss and I still have not sold 1 (Also I am on a "full" server so the population shoud be there). Drops and quest rewards are nearly just as good, why would anyone buy anything crafted.

I tend to agree with the above posts. I have 340+ in armor and nothing sells except for low level purples. The problem is to aquire the resourses to make 1 item it costs me much more than is worth and on top of that I cant advance level if I keep making low level items. I wouldnt mind making those though, but to find the rares to make them is far too expensive to make it worthwhile. Green stuff doesnt sell, Blue stuff is hit and miss, and I have yet to sell a purple above lvl 23 (I have lvl 25-39 mix of chests, helmets, legs, gloves and boots all purple on the GTN and have yet to sell 1. I am asking about 8k for purple chests, 3k for gloves). My prices are not high, in fact at those prices it is a major loss and I still have not sold 1 (Also I am on a "full" server so the population shoud be there). Drops and quest rewards are nearly just as good, why would anyone buy anything crafted.

8k for purple chests and 3k for purple gloves that are level 23 items is way to much. Thats why they don't sell.

Green stuff sells, mostly belts,gloves, etc.............Just price them cheap. Usually 50-100% more than selling to a vendor. I usually list at the recommended auction price or slightly lower.

Crafting is almost completely worthless..... period.

There is "zero" reason that you should bother looking at crafted gear pre-50. You can get pvp gear, random monster drops, or vendor purchase.

The only thing that is relatively worth effort are armor/weapon mods. However, those are pretty much worthless with pvp and vendor purchase.

Why should I spend a hour collecting resources to make a chest, that I can have the same or better states with less than an hour of pvp time?

Assuming I want better items, I need to make x number of items to reverse engineer to get a blue and repeat for purples.

That assumes that people have the credits to by the armor, which the really have no reason to.

Frankly the entire crafting system was poorly thought out.

One "simple" and by no means end all solution would to make materials non-vendorable. Have the vendors buy crafted items at a fixed cost. At least now, you can calculate a known value per resource.

So you make an item that sales for 1k, it takes ten silk. The ten silk is worth 100 per. You give gatherer 50 and you keep 50 for the effort.

Instead, you have items that people don't want to buy. You can't find materials on the market. So why would you gather, make, and sell something that is going to come back in the mail?

Keep in mind, these are epic purples that are the same price or better than vendor blues of same level???

And to answer all the trolls, yes I'm a bit bitter. Since I have 400 artifact, 400 cybertech, 400 treasure, 400 slicing, 400 scavenging, 400 underworld. None of those professions really equate to making profit... To the naysayers, slicing use to. Scavenging randomly does. Underworld can for epic materials. But as a generally accurate statement, none of the crafting professions are worth the time to level.

That is, unless the designers wanted me to sell materials to other suckers that are trying to level up their crafting?

Mods, Armoring, Hilts, Enhancements, Crystals, and Heal packs are the only items that are semi-repeat sells and kinda worth the time.

Don't expect to sell 20 suits a day of purple crafted armor. Actually, you shouldn't expect to reliable sell 1 green.

8k for purple chests and 3k for purple gloves that are level 23 items is way to much. Thats why they don't sell.

Green stuff sells, mostly belts,gloves, etc.............Just price them cheap. Usually 50-100% more than selling to a vendor. I usually list at the recommended auction price or slightly lower.

no, all my lvl 23 and below purples i am selling for less than 3k, lvl 30+ purple chest for 8k and 30+ purple others is around 3k.

ill try listing more greens but I have yet to sell any of it. 1 helmet is all I have sold.