HK questions

Chamby-X

Hey guys, hope you'll indulge some noob questions about HK, for those who have him and have played through the game with him.

- to what extent is he like the other companions? By which I mean, does he have his own series of companion 'quests' (or ship conversations) as his affection increases? Does he make comments on your decisions and locations throughout the game, from start to finish?

- as he is available to all classes, does his story or dialogue change at all? Will he react differently to my light side Jedi than he will my dark side Sith?

Basically I'm just wondering how integrated he is into the 1-50 game, as I know he was a late addition. I'm on the long road to getting my own, and thinking about maybe leveling a character through the game with HK at his side all the way through. Might make a good sidekick for a Sith Inquisitor!

After I unlocked HK-51, I used him on a few different toons.

As far as companion conversations go, he would be most similar to the fifth companion one gets, in the sense that you're near the end of the game, and there are only a handful of conversation options and nothing that requires you (as a player) to join them for an external quest. The convos are interesting (I enjoyed them) but all too brief. I was moderately disappointed as a felt a lot of opportunity for meatbag humor was overlooked.

The Empire dialog is different from the Republic one (I won't spoil why) but the dialog choices aren't changed by which class you have.

As far as having him out as a companion, I really liked using him as a dps comp. He has a unique ability that allows him to one-shot any silver mob in the game every 5 baddies he kills. It's not game-breaking, just fun. His combat barks wear thin after a while, but this is the same as any other companion.

I've done many leveling quests with him out and have yet to see him speak up during any quest conversations -- it looks as if the only dialog recorded was for the private ones on your ship.

Gearing is a little tricky as there aren't that many droid drops for quest rewards, and the gear he comes with can't be used until you are level 50. I tend to just get moddable droid armor (I have a cybertech that can craft them) and level up armoring/mods/enhancements with planetary comms/crafting/gtn.

Overall, he is less than I had hoped, but I still really enjoy having him out and I'm glad he was added to the game. HK was especially invaluable on my Operative as I can't stand either Kaliyo or Vector -- I unlocked HK on Hutta and never looked back.