no more black hole comms in story EC?

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dagummit. This bumms me out. BH comms from drops and chests were the only reason I started raiding consistently since it was an easier way to get good PVE gear. Now, its back to a daily 5 and weekly 6 other than HM ops?

Enjoy the grind.

are we confirmed that HM EC drops them from bosses still? i know they took them out of chests

Edited by yoshua

I do have an update on this issue. This change was intentional, and we'll be adding it to the patch notes. Bosses in Story Mode Operations no longer drop Black Hole Commendations in Game Update 1.4. Thanks to everyone who brought this up, and we apologize for the confusion over it.

*shakes head*

I don't understand this Bioware policy of making it harder to gear up. All this does is encourage people not to run Story Mode. Wasn't it said earlier that by adding in the new Operation "Terror from Beyond" that getting more blackhole commendations easier and faster would be possible? That's not true if Story mode no longer gives any blackhole commendations.

I just don't get it. I respectfully request you change this back.

I'll echo what everyone already said. Operations were a good way to get BH comms in order to progress to harder operations (EC HM and TFB). Now that SM EC is nerfed this makes getting into the new content that much more difficult and longer to start. BW needs to rethink this decision.

*shakes head*

I don't understand this Bioware policy of making it harder to gear up. All this does is encourage people not to run Story Mode. Wasn't it said earlier that by adding in the new Operation "Terror from Beyond" that getting more blackhole commendations easier and faster would be possible? That's not true if Story mode no longer gives any blackhole commendations.

I just don't get it. I respectfully request you change this back.

Don't try all this complaining will do is nothing they won't ever give us the real turtth have yet to and will alwys two step us sadly .... I really want to play Sw but the way its heading im less and less and more amd more looking at wow again .. they al least have real gear . and a reason to play at end game id still play wow but it got real old over time for me .... to me this is the worst thing they can do to end game and then won't gvie us a reason why .......... or reason that justfilys it ...

Edited by moonshoter

I do have an update on this issue. This change was intentional, and we'll be adding it to the patch notes. Bosses in Story Mode Operations no longer drop Black Hole Commendations in Game Update 1.4. Thanks to everyone who brought this up, and we apologize for the confusion over it.

Thanks for the info.

Although...this was not a good idea IMO. This is making your old content less desirable to run, and it doesn't make any sense that SM EV and KP will offer a few BH comms (through the LFG tool) but SM EC will not.

I find it funny that no one gets the big picture:

- Story mode is to experience the story and taste the content.

- Hard mode is for the actual challenge of raiding.

You don't need fantastic gear to experience the story. If you want to get the best gear, then set foot in the hardest content. Or grind out the extra hours by doing daily HM's every day and the weekly missions to get your BH year. You can still make over 50 BH comms a week w/out setting foot in a HM if you really want to gear progress. But running around in SM EC where it just got nerfed even more-so to spend 1.5-2 hrs a week to add an extra 20 BH comms was just overkill. Grinding 7 HM FP's a week takes more work than 1 SM EC and more dedication to the time.

If you really care about gear progression, but can't handle HM Ops yet, then here's how you can progress:

Lvl 50

Regular D7, Battle of Ilum, False Emperor - for better gear

SM EV, SM KP, HM FP's, Dailies, Buy mods and such from AH with Daily Quest Credits

SM EC, HM EV, HM KP, SM TFB

HM EC

HM TFB

There are several ways to get Dread Gear w/out even setting foot in HM TFB. You can get credits and wait for them to sell on the AH? Don't like the price? Then do the hardest content. It's that simple. You can either put in more effort or more time to get Dread Gear. And let's not forget that Dread Gear isn't even fantastic. The itemizations are terrible so buying the pieces off the AH may be smarter than running HM TFB over and over (like Marauders who need 10 freakin' belts just to get BiS for their Mod - good job FailWare!)

Still, for people who are complaining about the loss of BH comms from easy-mode EC there's still plenty of ways to obtain BH comms. In the end, SM EC isn't even half of the BH comms you can earn in a week. This game and every other MMO is already going the way of catering to the casual. Just imagine playing 8 years ago in WoW when there wasn't an easy-mode of raids and the only way to get the best loot was to kill bosses in those raids... bosses that weren't killed the first night they were released to the public, but instead took months of time. Imagine that!

Yeah, those days are gone, and this is what we have now. I'm just trying to give those people crying some perspective on the matter.

• Dev Post
I asked Ahmad Zabarah (a Senior Designer) to share some more details about this change. The reason we removed the Commendations from Story Mode is that it is our goal to separate Story Mode Operations from Operation progression going forwards. In the previous setup, Story Mode was the best way to farm Black Hole Commendations, which wasn't our intent for the different difficulty modes. Going forward, Hard Mode and Nightmare mode will be the source of progression in Operations. We did, however, add Black Hole Commendations to the weekly Explosive Conflict mission, so you can also obtain the Commendations that way. Edited by AllisonBerryman

I asked Ahmad Zabarah (a Senior Designer) to share some more details about this change. The reason we removed the Commendations from Story Mode is that it is our goal to separate Story Mode Operations from Operation progression going forwards. In the previous setup, Story Mode was the best way to farm Black Hole Commendations, which wasn't our intent for the different difficultly modes. Going forward, Hard Mode and Nightmare mode will be the source of progression in Operations. We did, however, add Black Hole Commendations to the weekly Explosive Conflict mission, so you can also obtain the Commendations that way.

This doesn't explain why they were removed from Karaga's Nightmare Mode.

*snip*

Unfortunately, tailoring your only new content to only cater to hardcore raiders is not a very sound business strategy. Hardcore raiders make up such a small percentage of the playerbase.

Hardmode EV and Karraga's are a lot easier than even normal mode EC. You can basically get all your rakata gear there. And once you have Rakata gear, what point is there to run normal mode EC and Terror from Beyond? Sure, once for the story. But that's it. There's no incentive to keep running these on normal mode.

I find it a contradicting and mind boggling choice... First you want to make end game content available for non "raiders", thus the black hole weeklies, the daily random HM, etc. It was stated before that you wanted to give players alternative things to do and enjoy themselves in endgame pve. Story mode doesn't give any "progression" at all, and it's enjoyable for the story (once or twice). Then you remove black hole commendations and you make mandatory doing hard modes?

You really have to get a clue on WHICH your objectives are. This really sounds like BAD planning.

[Edit: just not to sound like a pissed off customer: I couldn't care less for ME, I've got full min maxed bh/campaign gear, we clear EC HM and we'll move to TFB soon. I'm a raider (though perhaps not a hardcore one) and I don't care if other people get endgame gear through other means as well, more power to them and everybody is happy]

Edited by GeckoOBac

We did, however, add Black Hole Commendations to the weekly Explosive Conflict mission, so you can also obtain the Commendations that way.

"Added it"? Isn't this the weekly quest that if you progressed a certain distance in the operation (be it story mode, hard more, or nightmare mode) you would complete the quest and get BH comms?

If so, that's always been there so there was nothing to add. The only thing different in 1.4 is you made it easier to complete by making it the Tanks instead of the Colonel to complete the quest and through in some Daily comms I think. Still, you didn't add BM comms as a reward, you may have just changed the qty.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

"Added it"? Isn't this the weekly quest that if you progressed a certain distance in the operation (be it story mode, hard more, or nightmare mode) you would complete the quest and get BH comms?

If so, that's always been there so there was nothing to add. The only thing different in 1.4 is you made it easier to complete by making it the Tanks instead of the Colonel to complete the quest and through in some Daily comms I think. Still, you didn't add BM comms as a reward, you may have just changed the qty.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

You're not wrong. Also I think that the "Explosive Conflict" story is actually the story related mission you can only do once that used to give a very small reward.

This doesn't explain why they were removed from Karaga's Nightmare Mode.

Clearly their goal is to slow the gearing curve. NM KP (and NM EV for that matter even though it never had the comms) are simply too easy in their mind to complete and they would cause extra BH comms floating around.

Honestly, under their new (current) vision, I think it is time that they just have the lockouts share between SM and HM/NM as people are clearly not being incentived to do SM.

Edited by homeyj

Unfortunately, tailoring your only new content to only cater to hardcore raiders is not a very sound business strategy. Hardcore raiders make up such a small percentage of the playerbase.

Hardmode EV and Karraga's are a lot easier than even normal mode EC. You can basically get all your rakata gear there. And once you have Rakata gear, what point is there to run normal mode EC and Terror from Beyond? Sure, once for the story. But that's it. There's no incentive to keep running these on normal mode.

The new content isn't only catered to the hardcore raiders. HM TFB is, but TFB, in it's entirety is not. You can still run SM TFB to experience the content. There is some incentive to keep running the normal modes of TFB and EC for the weekly to get BH comms if gear is really what you want, but effort is not something you want to put in. It sounds to me like you want the best gear, but you are complaining that you can't rise up to the challenge or are not willing to. Why does BW have to change that for you?

I asked Ahmad Zabarah (a Senior Designer) to share some more details about this change. The reason we removed the Commendations from Story Mode is that it is our goal to separate Story Mode Operations from Operation progression going forwards. In the previous setup, Story Mode was the best way to farm Black Hole Commendations, which wasn't our intent for the different difficultly modes. Going forward, Hard Mode and Nightmare mode will be the source of progression in Operations. We did, however, add Black Hole Commendations to the weekly Explosive Conflict mission, so you can also obtain the Commendations that way.

Still not getting it.

Why do you want to remove Story Mode from progression? There was a much simpler way to solve the problem of Story Mode being an easier way to get Black Hole commendations. You add more Black Hole commendations to Hard Mode.

Part of the appeal of Black Hole gear, is that it lets you get equivalent gear to the hardmode. It's slightly worse because it doesn't get the set bonuses, or might have the wrong set of stats, but otherwise it's equal. The downside is that it could take longer to get that tier of gear.

And why ? or is that asking to much and plz no comments form others who really dont know . :) ... if it is to stop gearing up in end game gear then stop reing modes etc for the schamatic we can stil gear up in end game gear and not raid ... some one on my server is allready selling level 27 s . :) sorry about the venting but what re Dev thinking about if when F2p goes in the only way to raid and ware that gear is to sub why should it matter were BH conns drops .... if Subing maybe the only way to get alot of them .... I won't be runin SM EC any more no reason to even the mats are not worth the waste of time and nor will I run NIM KP any more no point in it any more other then maybe the mount or hat im told the hat drops in hm to so why run NIM ... and why even have the weekly SMs give BHs :) sigh ...

Probably because they made Story Mode much easier to do.... just guessing tho..

Still not getting it.

Why do you want to remove Story Mode from progression? There was a much simpler way to solve the problem of Story Mode being an easier way to get Black Hole commendations. You add more Black Hole commendations to Hard Mode.

Part of the appeal of Black Hole gear, is that it lets you get equivalent gear to the hardmode. It's slightly worse because it doesn't get the set bonuses, or might have the wrong set of stats, but otherwise it's equal. The downside is that it could take longer to get that tier of gear.

Well first you can just remove the mods from Black Hole gear and put it in your Columi/Rakata gear and keep the set bonuses.... second they made Story mode a lot easier now so it does kind of make sense they remove the ability to easily farm black hole comms from SM operations.

Also SM operations are just suppose to train new people the basic mechanics of the boss fights for when they do the HM's. Not allow geared up people to easily farm Commendations..

The new content isn't only catered to the hardcore raiders. HM TFB is, but TFB, in it's entirety is not. You can still run SM TFB to experience the content. There is some incentive to keep running the normal modes of TFB and EC for the weekly to get BH comms if gear is really what you want, but effort is not something you want to put in. It sounds to me like you want the best gear, but you are complaining that you can't rise up to the challenge or are not willing to. Why does BW have to change that for you?

*shrug* I've beat Hard Mode EC, and have a few pieces of campaign gear and blackhole gear.

It's not about rising up to the challenge. It's about making the game reward time and effort.

To be honest, the devs will never truly "challenge" the hardcore raiders. Not without making the operation impossible, or at least crazy difficult for everyone else. The challenge in most of the operations is fine (enrage timers are really annoying though). But the gear progression just makes no sense to me. And with this change, makes even less sense.

Clearly their goal is to slow the gearing curve. NM KP (and NM EV for that matter even though it never had the comms) are simply too easy in their mind to complete and they would cause extra BH comms floating around.

Honestly, under their new (current) vision, I think it is time that they just have the lockouts share between SM and HM/NM as people are clearly not being incentived to do SM.

You're missing the point and not understanding the reasoning they keep saying as to why they are separating SM from HM/NiM.

Back in the old days of raiding there wasn't an easy and a hard mode. There was just one mode, and it was challenging. In fact, in Vanilla WoW before it's first expansion there was a raid called Naxxramus. There was a large % of the population very upset that they couldn't complete the raid (we'll call them The Casuals). So those who did complete it or were trying to and accepted the way things were (we'll call them The Hardcore) told The Casuals that they had to work at it. "If you wanted to see the ending to the game you had to master the levels to it."

The common response from The Casuals was, "I pay the same amount of money as The Hardcore. It's not fair I don't get to see all the content! I'm not after the loot, but I deserve to see all of this work that Blizzard employees are putting into stuff that I pay for."

And that's where we are today. Now The Casuals can experience all of that wonderful content. If you're still complaining, then it's about the loot. If you want the loot, then rise to the challenge and/or put the work in.

I dont think there is currently any content in this game geared toward 'hardcore raiders'.

Well, to "real hardcore raiders", no, there isn't. But that's being subjective and it applies to what it is relative too. Real hardcore raiders predate WoW back in EQ where there was no instances and every time you died you lost experience.

But in this game, those who do the Hardmodes are what I would call the hardcore raiders. Sure, the guy who makes $200,000k a year isn't considered rich in Simi Valley, but he lives like a king in a 3rd world country. Gotta go with the context...