Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

PVP Arsenal Mercenary Augments.

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes > Commando / Mercenary
PVP Arsenal Mercenary Augments.

jnthndjgr
06.30.2016 , 07:51 AM | #1
I've seen so many different opinions on this, it's ridiculous. I've seen people say go all mastery, all power, power/critical and critical/alacrity to certain values then the rest in power.

In my mild desperation, I'm turning to the forums for some advice. Bear in mind, that this is ONLY for PVP as Arsenal specifically, I could care less about PVE on this specific character. Also, I'm only asking about augments, other than that I like to think that I've got a reasonable handle on the class. What I'm hoping is that someone would explain the optimal augment choice, along with their reasoning for it. So many of the so-called guides just say "take this" without any explanation as to why, even if their opinion differs wildly from everyone else's.
"There is nothing more unequal than the equal treatment of unequal people." ~Thomas Jefferson

sumquy
07.01.2016 , 09:34 AM | #2
Quote: Originally Posted by jnthndjgr View Post
I've seen so many different opinions on this, it's ridiculous. I've seen people say go all mastery, all power, power/critical and critical/alacrity to certain values then the rest in power.

In my mild desperation, I'm turning to the forums for some advice. Bear in mind, that this is ONLY for PVP as Arsenal specifically, I could care less about PVE on this specific character. Also, I'm only asking about augments, other than that I like to think that I've got a reasonable handle on the class. What I'm hoping is that someone would explain the optimal augment choice, along with their reasoning for it. So many of the so-called guides just say "take this" without any explanation as to why, even if their opinion differs wildly from everyone else's.
there is no "optimal augment choice", because what you need is determined by what you already have. what is important are your stat totals, not which piece of gear has what stat. most likely you will need mostly crit and a few alacrity, but without knowing what you have already, it is impossible to say. for pvp you want your crit to be in the ~1500 range and your alacrity to be ~800. you will have to decide if you want to use accuracy or not. some people do and others do not. in no case do you need more than 5% (~250 points). don't worry about the rest of your stats like mastery, endurance, and power. those come on almost every piece anyway, so just take what is given and don't worry about them.

as to why you want the totals that you want (crit ~1500, alacrity ~800, etc.), it mostly comes down to diminishing returns. each point you put into a stat gives a smaller increase than the point before it. this design structure deincentivizes stacking 1 stat at the cost of another. for a baseline we can look at bant's post that works out the math for optimal stats in a pve environment. with the exception of accuracy, the math is not dependent on what you are attacking, and so it translates well to pvp. the exception, of course, is accuracy, and there is no consensus within the pvp community on how much of that is needed. having tested between 1% and 6% myself, i could not tell any difference in game, so mostly consider it a moot point.

good luck!
...how i learned to love the dot and other short stories.