Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

IO Dot Spreading

KevinQCowart
04.20.2016 , 08:58 PM | #1
So I had a APG a few minutes ago. I was safe on a platform above the cantina, looking down a 5 opponents busy with my other team mates, a nice tight cluster.

Incendiary Missile
Power Surge -> Fusion Missile (for instant)
Mag Shot -> Serrated Shot (for instant)
Explosive Dart
Death From Above
Sweeping Blasters
Sweeping Blasters
Sweeping Blasters

I did 8700 DPS, and I'm over heated. It felt great for once to enjoy the normal gameplay of a Madness Sorc. But they literally pull moves like this ALL MATCH and never come close to running out of force and get passively healed through the damage. The level of imbalance between Madness and other ranged DoT specs is bad work on Biowares part, shame on them.

I would be so happy if IO spread both dots with Fusion Missile and it was an instant manually placed reticle just like Death Field.

Addendum: Force Storm uses 10% of a Sorcs resource, Sweeping Blasters uses 33% of a Mercenaries resource. Death Field uses 8% of a Sorcs resource, Fusion Missile uses 15% of a mercenaries resource.

Gyronamics
04.20.2016 , 09:10 PM | #2
You can do the spreading ability first.

Someone else demoed it a while back but if you do:

Sticky Grenade -> Serrated Bolt then the dot lands just before the spreader goes off.

Same with Plasma Grenade -> Incendiary Round

Still sucks compared to any other dot spreading, but there we go.
Hotwired

Niman, Tomb of Freedon Nadd, The Red Eclipse, Darth Malgus

2011 - The Immortals, The Lumberjacks, Nano, Not Good Enough, Disciples of Babylon, Salt Miners - 2018

TUXs
04.21.2016 , 12:56 PM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by Gyronamics View Post
You can do the spreading ability first.

Someone else demoed it a while back but if you do:

Sticky Grenade -> Serrated Bolt then the dot lands just before the spreader goes off.

Same with Plasma Grenade -> Incendiary Round

Still sucks compared to any other dot spreading, but there we go.
Good info Gyro...thank you sir. I've often wondered if it mattered.
All warfare is based on deception If his forces are united, separate them If you are far from the enemy, make him believe you are near A leader leads by example not by force
My referral code: here What you get: here (1 FREE transfer 7-day FREE sub FREE Jumpstart and Preferred Bundles)

JarenWelen
04.22.2016 , 07:23 AM | #4
One thing to note: hard-casting Fusion Missile into Incendiary Missile works. Incendiary Missile will hit just before Fusion Missile, enabling a spread.

However, using Power Surge to insta-cast a Fusion Missile means that you launch the missile at the start of the GCD, so it will hit before Incendiary Missile does and not spread.

Commando terminology:
Plasma Grenade -> Incendiary Round = good.
Tech Override -> Plasma Grenade -> Incendiary Round = bad.

Example in my video at 1:35 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jHXVwTDzWh8&t=1m35s
Zhalle / Kayl'ik / Arxxis
Founder/Beta Tester

TUXs
04.25.2016 , 10:15 AM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by JarenWelen View Post
One thing to note: hard-casting Fusion Missile into Incendiary Missile works. Incendiary Missile will hit just before Fusion Missile, enabling a spread.

However, using Power Surge to insta-cast a Fusion Missile means that you launch the missile at the start of the GCD, so it will hit before Incendiary Missile does and not spread.

Commando terminology:
Plasma Grenade -> Incendiary Round = good.
Tech Override -> Plasma Grenade -> Incendiary Round = bad.

Example in my video at 1:35 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jHXVwTDzWh8&t=1m35s
Thank you Jaren!
All warfare is based on deception If his forces are united, separate them If you are far from the enemy, make him believe you are near A leader leads by example not by force
My referral code: here What you get: here (1 FREE transfer 7-day FREE sub FREE Jumpstart and Preferred Bundles)

Floplag
04.26.2016 , 09:35 AM | #6
yeah this was one of the things i hated about IO... no control over the dot spread. You have to try random tricks to trigger it unlike any other spread skill. Changing this would help the spec a lot in PvP i think, well that and better heat mgmt and target swap ability
Floplag - Merc/Mando
Referral link, cause why not: http://www.swtor.com/r/wdLxth

Aetideus
05.02.2016 , 10:56 AM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by Floplag View Post
yeah this was one of the things i hated about IO... no control over the dot spread. You have to try random tricks to trigger it unlike any other spread skill. Changing this would help the spec a lot in PvP i think, well that and better heat mgmt and target swap ability
The tricks work. It is the price to pay for the best AoE in the game. Double spreading + burst that merc has is not balanced.

Gyronamics
05.02.2016 , 12:54 PM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by Aetideus View Post
The tricks work. It is the price to pay for the best AoE in the game. Double spreading + burst that merc has is not balanced.
Please.

I have to put up with the slingers in our raids using their aoe and considerably better dotspreading every week, I know where merc multi target is and it's not at the top.
Hotwired

2011 - The Immortals, The Lumberjacks, Nano, Not Good Enough, Disciples of Babylon, Salt Miners - 2018

Aetideus
05.05.2016 , 02:51 AM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by Gyronamics View Post
Please.

I have to put up with the slingers in our raids using their aoe and considerably better dotspreading every week, I know where merc multi target is and it's not at the top.
It is about pvp. Never seen a sniper doing better AoE than an IO in a WZ. IO can drop HP to <30% on the whole team. I ld like to see that from a sniper.

Gyronamics
05.05.2016 , 07:27 AM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by Aetideus View Post
It is about pvp. Never seen a sniper doing better AoE than an IO in a WZ. IO can drop HP to <30% on the whole team. I ld like to see that from a sniper.
I would like to see IO dots taking 50,000 health off people but it's obviously not happening.

IO doesn't magically become better at multi target by doing it in PVP it still has a 4 ability dotspread and negative regen while doing it.

Virulence spreads both DoT using a total of two abilities in rotation and the more targets they hit the higher their regen, allowing easy swapping into single target or suppressive fire spam on the dotted targets.

Not buying it.
Hotwired