Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

DPS Mercs offer nothing to the team...

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes > Commando / Mercenary
DPS Mercs offer nothing to the team...

Floplag
03.06.2016 , 10:59 AM | #11
Quote: Originally Posted by helpmewin View Post
Do not play 1 class.
i play all classes, my main is what i enjoy the most, why should i be forced to play something i dont like? We arent all fotm jumpers... plus it had nothing to do with the topic so... meh
Floplag - Merc/Mando
Referral link, cause why not: http://www.swtor.com/r/wdLxth

Floplag
03.06.2016 , 11:07 AM | #12
Quote: Originally Posted by DerSchneider View Post
More? 20k+ autocrit HSM +15k rail shot and you want more? Snipers MM hit 20k too as pure dps class, but the hit is white damage and easily can be mitigated by most classes. Boltstorm hits harder than penetrating rounds too. Dps geared tanks are op, but they don't hit nearly as hard as merc. Also you have 10% alactily buff for regs, offheals, aoe knockback and electro net which is very powerful if used properly.
Mercs defenses should be redesigned, but utility is fine and single target damage is arguably the best in the game atm.
You do realize that much of what you mention here isnt available immediately and requires ramp up? Neither heatseeker or rail shot hit their hardest until you have the sunder and tracer lock debuff stacks on the target, and thats not including supercharged gas. This means neither skill can hit to its max potential till you have 2 or 3 TM hits on target, you do realize this, right?

Just because they CAN hit that hard it does not mean they do at all times. Lets not exaggerates shall we? Besides, you mention 15K rails when freaking immortal juggs in tank or skank tank specs are hitting nearly that hard with 40% mitigation.

Please stop spreading misinformation and half truths. Besides i never said we had a damage issue, nor was that what was inferred in the conversation, only that this is all we bring and compared to what other classes can bring in addition to damage they simple didnt feel we had merit.
Floplag - Merc/Mando

Coloneli
03.06.2016 , 11:30 AM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by Floplag View Post
so, the guy with the worst defensive utils is supposed to eat the damage? kinda nonsensical dont you think?
I agree. However the reality is we get focused in both unranked and rank and that's why it leads to this, regardless of how bad our defensives are.

Floplag
03.07.2016 , 11:01 AM | #14
Quote: Originally Posted by Coloneli View Post
I agree. However the reality is we get focused in both unranked and rank and that's why it leads to this, regardless of how bad our defensives are.
Granted but thats self fulfilling... we got focused largely because of our defensive woes... if this was not the case would we still be focused as badly? I think not.
Sure we would still be in the conversation due to damage potential, but i think other targets would take a much higher priority if our death wasnt a virtual guarantee. As it stands if there is a merc on the map, hes marked.
Floplag - Merc/Mando

DerSchneider
03.09.2016 , 08:54 AM | #15
Quote: Originally Posted by Floplag View Post
You do realize that much of what you mention here isnt available immediately and requires ramp up? Neither heatseeker or rail shot hit their hardest until you have the sunder and tracer lock debuff stacks on the target, and thats not including supercharged gas. This means neither skill can hit to its max potential till you have 2 or 3 TM hits on target, you do realize this, right?

Just because they CAN hit that hard it does not mean they do at all times. Lets not exaggerates shall we? Besides, you mention 15K rails when freaking immortal juggs in tank or skank tank specs are hitting nearly that hard with 40% mitigation.

Please stop spreading misinformation and half truths. Besides i never said we had a damage issue, nor was that what was inferred in the conversation, only that this is all we bring and compared to what other classes can bring in addition to damage they simple didnt feel we had merit.
You do realise that most dps specs need a ramp up? Snipers ambush needs a ramp up. Virulence needs to waste 3 globals before start actually doing damage. Engineering the same. Marauder only in fury has instant burst. They provide additional team utility, because they are pure dps classes.
What team utility does assassin provide besides sap? Pt dps besides taunt? Ops if he doesn't want to sacrifice his damage?
And who said jugg tanks ALWAYS hit for 15k? Crushing blow doesn't autocrit. Tanks are OP, but not only jugg.
Yesterday I died because of 8k cascading debris hit. It's more than 30K SINGLE TARGET DAMAGE IN 1 ABILITY (with force potency).
What about PT tank doing 2,5k dps in arenas with passive mitigation that he doesn't even have to worry about cooldowns timing.
Nightrain - top 3 Juggernaut season 7, 8, 9

My PVP streams: https://www.twitch.tv/n1ghtrain

Gyronamics
03.09.2016 , 12:29 PM | #16
While you continue to list what "other classes bring"

The most important thing any class can bring to a fight is to not be a pushover. Being able to carry their own weight.

This typically requires some combo of damage, survivability and cheese.

Mercs are second rate because they need support to be equal to many other classes. What they offer compared to a first rate class is vulnerability.
Hotwired

Niman, Tomb of Freedon Nadd, The Red Eclipse, Darth Malgus

2011 - The Immortals, The Lumberjacks, Nano, Not Good Enough, Disciples of Babylon, Salt Miners - 2018

DerSchneider
03.09.2016 , 01:34 PM | #17
Quote: Originally Posted by Gyronamics View Post
While you continue to list what "other classes bring"

The most important thing any class can bring to a fight is to not be a pushover. Being able to carry their own weight.

This typically requires some combo of damage, survivability and cheese.

Mercs are second rate because they need support to be equal to many other classes. What they offer compared to a first rate class is vulnerability.
By your logic concealment operative is the most OP spec in history of SWTOR.
Nightrain - top 3 Juggernaut season 7, 8, 9

My PVP streams: https://www.twitch.tv/n1ghtrain

Khevar
03.09.2016 , 10:08 PM | #18
This comment made me think of "Teams of stunlocking operatives!!!!!"

/nostalgia

Gyronamics
03.10.2016 , 12:08 AM | #19
No, my post does not cover your fetish of trying to mention operatives.

Have the confidence to make your own post with your own opinions.
Hotwired

Niman, Tomb of Freedon Nadd, The Red Eclipse, Darth Malgus

2011 - The Immortals, The Lumberjacks, Nano, Not Good Enough, Disciples of Babylon, Salt Miners - 2018

MuskyBoy
03.10.2016 , 12:58 AM | #20
Mercs are trash because no class in the game is as reliant on their teammates to survive more then 10 seconds in an arena. The suggestion that mercs are fine but just require a higher skill cap is rubbish, they require a higher skill cap of teamwork. In essence they are class which needs to be babysat in an arena to perform and/or have an opponent team which is made up of a favourable composition. Put simply your success in an arena as a merc is beyond your control.