Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

DPS Mercs offer nothing to the team...

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes > Commando / Mercenary
DPS Mercs offer nothing to the team...

Kaedusz
03.21.2016 , 08:04 PM | #31
Quote: Originally Posted by Jherad View Post
Stealth Scan should never be used like that. It has essentially two uses - to pop someone out of stealth who you know is there but can't see (eg, they JUST stealthed, or you caught a quick glimpse of them and saw the direction in which they were headed). Or, to temporarily deny someone stealthed passage through an area (eg. bridge or passage in voidstar, mid entrance in hypergate). Ok, maybe three uses if you include dropping SS on someone you think is about to vanish.

For 'hail mary' guesswork, you're best off using sweeping blasters.
It has another use. While you are tunneling someone or during a 1v1, you should use it the the second the guy goes to stealth on the area he vanished.

lavatsunami
03.25.2016 , 10:19 AM | #32
There's only one answer: People's perceptions of mercs are incorrect. They are a higher skill cap class and therefore there aren't a lot of good ones. Which leads to the incorrect perception that mercs aren't worth anything.

Electronet in of itself is a big enough deal. It doesn't cause resolve but can force a trinket faster than anything in the game.

Kaedusz
03.27.2016 , 07:12 AM | #33
Quote: Originally Posted by MuskyBoy View Post
Mercs are trash because no class in the game is as reliant on their teammates to survive more then 10 seconds in an arena. The suggestion that mercs are fine but just require a higher skill cap is rubbish, they require a higher skill cap of teamwork. In essence they are class which needs to be babysat in an arena to perform and/or have an opponent team which is made up of a favourable composition. Put simply your success in an arena as a merc is beyond your control.
This guy is right.

However what he said is also one of the reasons why the class is great.

Foxpthree
04.18.2016 , 09:37 AM | #34
Quote: Originally Posted by Floplag View Post
I was having a discussion with some people on Twitch last night and this comment came up. Mercs offer nothing to the team. Now im not sure i agree with this but it did give me pause to think.

Some of the comments were...
We dont off heal effectively. Well, thats true, our heals are weaker by comparison and too expensive to spam since we cant even heal ourselves to full most of the time before heat resources kick in.
We dont guard. True, we have no such mechanism .
We dont offer buffs. Not fully true of course we have one but its less effective than what others bring.

So what do we do... well the obvious answer is DPS. Similar to snipers/gunslingers. Now with that in mind is our damage high enough to justify it? One could easily argue that our damage is too low if thats all we bring to the table for both classes and that we should do more. If Skank Tanks are doing hits nearly as big as ours, something is very wrong.

I'm not suggesting any of this is an absolute or 100% fact, i just thought it made for interesting discussion.

Thoughts?

Are you asking for pvp only or pve? I've only really seen people talking about pvp here. In pve mando's are extremely good atm. PVE mando's have good deeps both sustained and burst, good offheals in a pinch considering bacta infusion plus a medical probe with 4-5 stacks on it you can heal for 30k in 2 globals(granted you can't do sustained offhealing), a battle rez, good mobility, and fairly good damage reduction with the heavy armor and utility for 30% less damage from aoe's.
Foxq - Commando DPS | Aeterna Vigilantia http://www.aeternavigilantia.com/

DsevenO
04.19.2016 , 12:45 PM | #35
Quote: Originally Posted by lavatsunami View Post
There's only one answer: People's perceptions of mercs are incorrect. They are a higher skill cap class and therefore there aren't a lot of good ones. Which leads to the incorrect perception that mercs aren't worth anything.

Electronet in of itself is a big enough deal. It doesn't cause resolve but can force a trinket faster than anything in the game.
I've played a merc and a jugg since launch. I think my perception of the class is well informed. Mercs are utter trash in 4's, electronet notwithstanding.
Go Forth and Die

CrownofGold
04.19.2016 , 05:28 PM | #36
Quote: Originally Posted by Foxpthree View Post
Are you asking for pvp only or pve? I've only really seen people talking about pvp here. In pve mando's are extremely good atm. PVE mando's have good deeps both sustained and burst, good offheals in a pinch considering bacta infusion plus a medical probe with 4-5 stacks on it you can heal for 30k in 2 globals(granted you can't do sustained offhealing), a battle rez, good mobility, and fairly good damage reduction with the heavy armor and utility for 30% less damage from aoe's.
"Heavy Armor" HA! Mercs/Commandos have less dmg mitigation than a sorc/sage just standing there TRYING to die with out a bubble. "Heavy Armor"...what a JOKE Biofail!

I'm not saying Mercs need to become Tanks, but at least make them have a similar survivability as Powertechs do.
Mia Goespewpewpewpew Pewpewpewpewpew, Grand Champion of the Great Hunt
<Twi'lek Lives Matter>
The Harbinger

Jake_Chambers
04.20.2016 , 06:36 AM | #37
They're pretty nice. Arsenal is the only ranged burst class that is mobile, because tk is not bursty and mm is not mobile. Furthermore, net is amazing in this age where every other player is a sorc. If that's not enough arsenal retains the only +30% surge boost in the entire game, in addition to a 10% passive. It's excellent with support.
TURTLE TURTLE TURTLE TURTLE TURTLE TURTLE
REVALIO
astor best egirlfriend

Raideen
04.22.2016 , 11:36 PM | #38
Quote: Originally Posted by Jake_Chambers View Post
They're pretty nice. Arsenal is the only ranged burst class that is mobile, because tk is not bursty and mm is not mobile. Furthermore, net is amazing in this age where every other player is a sorc. If that's not enough arsenal retains the only +30% surge boost in the entire game, in addition to a 10% passive. It's excellent with support.
But I should not be FORCED into a support role when no other class is. The merc player who wants to do objectives like guarding a node NEEDS a pocket healer and guard from a tank to START to be effective. ESPECIALLY when you have assassins and concealment ops blowing mercs up in 7 seconds.

Last time I checked, there was no prewarning that mercs NEEDED suppor to be effective in pvp.
[[||||||]()Ξ████████████████████████████████████████)

Jake_Chambers
04.22.2016 , 11:53 PM | #39
Just because mercs can't fulfill every single role that you want them to doesn't make the class bad. It's ranged, simple, and absurdly bursty, so yeah, it's going to be squishy to counteract it's strengths. It's not in the right place right now for survivability, but giving such a powerful spec too much survivability would not be good.
TURTLE TURTLE TURTLE TURTLE TURTLE TURTLE
REVALIO
astor best egirlfriend

AnubisBloodClaw
05.15.2016 , 11:53 PM | #40
I play both merc and sorc. I have better survivability in group with my sorc then i do my merc. Maybe I just suck at playing a merc. I do think mercs could use some adjustments. I think it was in one of the 3.0 patches their healing got nerfed and hurt the class.