JK -vs- the emperor....final battle gripes (spoilers)

ImmortalLowlife

Ok just in case someone opens this but hasn't done this yet, this is about getting ready for this final fight.

Ok, I was extremely p.o.'d that after going thru all the trouble of equiping Doc & myself with as many makeb armor & mod upgrades as possible. I find out I can only use T7 who I haven't used or upgraded his armor since I was lvl 15. After dying repeatedly because of T7 getting instantly killed, I asked in fleet gen chat for help. Only a few of my guildies were online & they were doing dailies. Gen chat was even less helpful as I got 1 person who said "solve the puzzle to gear T7" and then logged off, while the rest were variations of L2P & stuff. After spending 20 min on the puzzle that made ABSOLUTELY NO SENSE, I finally spent almost 200k (almost ALL I had) upgrading T7. Beat the emperor so quick it was laughable. Smdh....

It would have been nice to know this in advance. If I hadn't saved money (that I originally planned to use for getting started on endgame) I would have been s.o.l. So to any who haven't beaten the JK story....trust me....save as much money as possible or

keep T7's gear up to date.

**End rant**

I didn't touch the puzzle on the way in as I assumed it was some fight mechanic, I was very annoyed going in at having to use my level 17 geared T7 (turned him to dps stance with taunts off) After I won the fight (second attempt) I went back and did the puzzle out of curiosity and was again very annoyed to realize I missed gearing out T7.

Don't see an issue with it. For once curiosity helps the cat.

Not sure why people always compain about this fight. I don't remember if I died or not but it certainly was not a hard fight. Use your interrupts now, they become vital further into the game.

Well, they significantly downgraded the fight over time. When I did it on my first character a few days after release it took me 3 or 4 hours of trying (and a lot of credits for repairs). When I did it on my Sentinel a couple of months ago, with Makeb comm - gear, full set of Legacy perks and whatnot it took maybe 1 minute.

But the complaint of the OP is not about the difficulty of the fight, but about the fact that it is never telegraphed that you will be restricted in your choice of companions. There is not even a hint that solving the puzzle in the temple would help in respect to gear, so I guess many people think they don't want to waste time on a puzzle when there is the biggest battle of all waiting for them.

I think there should have been a discussion between the crew about their experience at the end of Chapter 2. A discussion how nobody of them could come near the Emperor and just one of them being very happy saying "I will not be affected". This one companion could have had quest markers after each planet story and having a short conversation with you about feeling ready or not for difficult fights, depending on gear level and thus giving strong hints that it may be advisable to keep said companion geared up.

I knew about this beforehand so at around lvl 40 I was saving up droid armor rewards/drops I found here and there and some cheap GTN stuff for that moment. But I also solved the puzzl which was rather easy lol, make an Empire logo. Not exactly hard to figure out xP

I knew about this beforehand so at around lvl 40 I was saving up droid armor rewards/drops I found here and there and some cheap GTN stuff for that moment. But I also solved the puzzl which was rather easy lol, make an Empire logo. Not exactly hard to figure out xP

No, the puzzle is not hard to figure out. But it is impossible to know that it will reward you with armor for your companion. That's the point.

The whole "you have to take a certain companion" thingy is just really poorly communicated throughout the story line. Without being spoilered you have no chance to know. And this is poor mission design, imho. It doesn't need to be spelled out in big red letters, but a few hints scattered here and there that a certain companion will be needed for the last mission might have been very helpful. As would be a few hints that there are armor pieces hidden in the Dark Temple.

As it is now, a player that carefully avoids to be spoiled for the story is in for a very nasty surprise. That's the complaints are about.

The kicker is it's the only final class battle that has such a restriction. The only other odd class story restriction of the 5 I have completed so far is when the Imperial Agent can't use Kaliyo for a little while. But that is no where near as bad as the Jedi Knights final battle restriction.

No, the puzzle is not hard to figure out. But it is impossible to know that it will reward you with armor for your companion. That's the point.

The whole "you have to take a certain companion" thingy is just really poorly communicated throughout the story line. Without being spoilered you have no chance to know. And this is poor mission design, imho. It doesn't need to be spelled out in big red letters, but a few hints scattered here and there that a certain companion will be needed for the last mission might have been very helpful. As would be a few hints that there are armor pieces hidden in the Dark Temple.

As it is now, a player that carefully avoids to be spoiled for the story is in for a very nasty surprise. That's the complaints are about.

I found the puzzle very glitchy as the lines kept flashing in and out randomly, making it impossible to tell what you were supposed to build and how to do it.

I agree that some hints would have been nice to warn you to bring T7. Even better, though, I don't think I would have included it at all. I much prefer letting the player bring whichever companion is their favorite to the final battle. I'd pay good money to watch Sergeant Rusk shoot the Emperor with an Assault Cannon.

Either that or have a small section for each of them.

It would be even easier to make it happen without spoilers.

Remember how at the beginning of Act 3 Scourge mentions he had a vision of the Jedi Knight standing over a defeated emperor? If you have the voice actor for Scourge, you can add this little bit in:

(paraphrased stuff in yellow, added stuff in red)

"I saw you, standing there over a defeated emperor, with an Astromech by your side"

BAM

Evidence you bring T7, without adding in spoilers.

ALTERNATIVE IF YOU CANT GET THE VOICE ACTOR FOR SCOURGE TO SAY SOMETHING ALONG THOSE LINES, OR IF YOU THINK THAT IDEA IS STUPID:

On the voss planetary mission arc, you have a vision of your future. For the Jedi Knight it shows you defeating the emperor. Have T7 say something in that conversation, proving you need T7 with you for that fight.

Edited by TACeMossie

Maybe the Emperor doing mind control on every person he meets in the flesh at the end of chapter 2 isn't enough?

Yes, it is a bit subtle, but there is that hint.

Scourge spend 300 years as the Emperor's Wrath, yet he manages to break free from his will. Surely he should be able to resist, and he is the one that wants the Emperor dead most of all.

Scourge was never under the Emperor's mental control. As far as the Emperor knew, Scourge was completely loyal and needed no mind control.

The Jedi he actually mind controls are different. Aside from what's his name who actually thinks the Emperor is right, the only time anyone but the Knight (who is, as all player characters are, the chosen one and is told he's special) breaks away from the Emperor's control is when you've beat them within half an inch of their life.

Even Kira, who is also said to be special, is not special enough to risk going back to him.

• 1 month later...

Thank you so much for posting this thread. Bioware really should signpost the 'strategy' for facing the Emperor much more clearly! You have saved me from abandoning the mission, gearing up T7 and trying all over again.

(If you have a cryogrenade, it can be quite handy, too! :D )

Thank you so much for posting this thread. Bioware really should signpost the 'strategy' for facing the Emperor much more clearly! You have saved me from abandoning the mission, gearing up T7 and trying all over again.

(If you have a cryogrenade, it can be quite handy, too! :D )

I'm glad it helped you. My next jk Playthru I'll know to keep him upgraded too. ;)

I would think that the fact that the Emperor was in Kira's head, and the whole Emperor's children thing would be a pretty big hint. Not to mention the Maelstrom FP.

Well....

1. Kira got him out of her head so I figured that was that

2. I just did the maelstrom fp for the 1st time after I'd finished chapter 3 of the jk story.

3. I've just started chapter 3 out the JC story about a week ago

So yea.....LOL :rolleyes:

My memory of this particular quest is a bit fuzzy, but I do believe that before your jk troops off to Dromund Kaas, after talking with Satele and another jedi (whom I forget the name of), and the holocommunicator in the main area of the Guardian, the companions of the jedi knight give their assessment of vulnerability to the Emperor. Now, I may have the time where the companions give their assessments wrong. . .but it still occurs. Kira states that she might not be a good idea to take along (as she was a former Child of the Emperor), Scourge could be a choice as is Doc and the trooper companion and T7 says that "orgainics=vulnerable" and something about him not being that (as he is a droid).

It is alluded to in the storyline leading up to Dromund Kaas. You just have to be observant and pay attention. Stuff in this game isn't handed to you on a silver platter.

My jedi knight took on the Emperor no problem about four or five months ago and did it with ease in rank 48 mods for his gear (then again, he was lvl 52). T7 was also updated. Interrupting, as mentioned before by other posters, is highly recommended.