Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

SWTOR in the Life of a Casual

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
SWTOR in the Life of a Casual

ENVISIONocity
12.12.2016 , 07:23 AM | #101
Quote: Originally Posted by Tippor View Post
I'm not from Shadowlands, but hello from a fellow casual player who has the same basic idea of SWTOR and play it almost exactly as you have written here. I could have written this post myself, in fact.
Thank you, Tippor! Greets to you, too!!

*buff*

ENVISIONocity
12.12.2016 , 07:34 AM | #102
Quote: Originally Posted by ImmortalLowlife View Post
If I ever get and extra 50mil (ROFLMAO.... it'll never happen. I'm to busy financing alts and buying armor) I'll buy a star destroyer just because I want one.
Wait! What?! You can buy a star destroyer?!?!?

Now the question I have to ask myself is if I can stop buying cool pieces from the GTN long enough to actually save enough credits to buy a destroyer.

Let's see... I average around a million to 2 million during the course of a full character progression of Classicó class and planetary missions only (no crafting, etc)... so I'll need about 25 or so more alts...

Everyone stand backó I've totally got this!

ImmortalLowlife
12.12.2016 , 08:39 AM | #103
Quote: Originally Posted by ENVISIONocity View Post

Now the question I have to ask myself is if I can stop buying cool pieces from the GTN long enough to actually save enough credits to buy a destroyer.

Let's see... I average around a million to 2 million during the course of a full character progression of Classicó class and planetary missions only (no crafting, etc)... so I'll need about 25 or so more alts...

Yup..... on the imperial side, and you have to be in a guild. (I've inherited a couple of em lol)
"There is no Light Side...There is no Dark Side...there is only The Force..."

And you already know...Click HERE for free stuff!!!

eriksarcasm
12.12.2016 , 12:37 PM | #104

I'll hold your beer!
It's what i do... I drink, and I know things.

craggy
12.12.2016 , 01:58 PM | #105
I'm very casual myself. On The Progenitor, although I'm pretty sure that wasn't where I started. I played Trooper in Beta, then went on to main a Smuggler (Gunslinger) for most of my months in early game. Never made it past Hoth, thanks to some mission in a cave. Came back periodically when I got emails about claiming new rewards, or double XP (used one weekend to get a Trooper to about where I'd left off in Beta) but stayed subbed. Was actually about to finally end my sub but when I came onto the site to do so I saw all the KOTET stuff, and read into the recent expansions a little. KOTFE sounded good, the extras for staying subbed til release were interesting, so I updated over the better part of a day, and started playing again the last week in November.

Initially very surprised how unchallenged I was finishing off my Smuggler's Class Story and getting him to 50. (I'd come back at one point and passed that Hoth mission, so actually dinged 50 just by logging in and chatting to my companions on my ship for 10mins.) Started through the Ilum stuff, but fancied a change so started levelling a Sorcerer. Quite fun to be able to just run through the Story mode, though I did force myself back to Dromund Kass for the Revanite arc, as I was interested what it was all about, being a longtime KOTOR player. Took a break at around lvl 25 as KOTET had launched and used one of my boost tokens on a lvl 60, to play through KOTFE. Went with a Knight (Guardian?) as that seemed to be the way the story was hinting at wanting you to play. She's just hit 70 yesterday with the final chapter of KOTFE to go.

I used to group quite often, even having done some of the later FPs of the original game at the time. Found a group for the Tactical FP on Manaan the other day and basically wasted 3 people's time because I was terrible at any kind of challenge, and can't tank. Or, rather can't tank on this...yet. I used to be a hell of a tank on City Of Heroes back in the day. For now I think I'll stick with solo stuff. I do intend to work my way through solo mode FPs via the Command system, and the opportunity to do that and re-learn the basics is welcome. The lack of concern over gearing and choosing companions is a freeing change too, as is, for me anyway, the appearance tab.

I definitely see a more...ambitious attempt by BiowEAr to get extra cash off players, and looking at how the gear system was prior to 5.0 I can see where people are dismayed. I definitely like to choose my gear, although at the time I was playing I rarely had opportunity to get anything truly special it was nice even just levelling up and getting enough commendations from heroics and the like to buy a new helmet for my trooper, most of my gear was drops, usually from FPs. Since returning I've not even thought about mods or enhancements or what have you. I probably should with my Jedi soon though. I've kitted out my Stronghold with the necessary banks and doo-dads. Anything that has a practical use was put in one room, basically, and is my go-to instead of the fleet, for a number of reasons, not the least of which is stability. My game crashes less when there's not a dozen other people all with their own fancy stuff going on.

I've bought some hypercrates with what was left after species and other legacy unlocks. They're fun, weirdly especially the Grand Chance Cubes giving full sets of older armour I've missed out on in my exile. I've gotten a few nice items from them, and a few valuable ones too, that I've been able to, or will eventually sell to help fund my growing list of alts. If I hadn't had those "complimentary" CC there though, I'm not sure I'd have been able to justify it. Even before the economic effects of the Brexit vote I think the dollar price to CC is a bit steep for what the majority of things are vanity items. Considering the many basic things that subscribers get included, I've no idea why anyone would play for free, unless it is just to be VERY casual, because even the simplest of things would be enough to earn you preferred status, and even that seems a bit too restrictive to me.

The Command Crates/RNG/CXP/OMG! situation does perhaps seem a bit laughable at times looking at it as basically an outsiders, but then having gotten to 70, and looked at the tier xp requirements, vs the rewards, vs all the different things that were alternately available before, it is concerning. Worse to me seems to be the way the game can't seem to decide if it wants to encourage alts or not. CXP certainly doesn't but a lot of "legacy" systems and text from prior the KOTFE expansion certainly suggest that as a very good way to enjoy the game. I've a lot of the game to experience yet, even from the early days, so I'm going to enjoy going back, but every time I clear a mission or kill a gold mob with an alt is CXP I'm missing out on. It's nice to not have a complicated system of dozens of different types of currency or rewards, but also too restrictive in how you earn that. They've said they won't make it Legacy-wide, but given the number of inconsistencies and contradictions in the rest of the way the game is set up I'm hoping that's only temporary.
Okay, how about everyone puts their in a bowl....?

Referral Link

ChristienB
12.12.2016 , 02:03 PM | #106
Quote: Originally Posted by djungelvraaal View Post
Thank you for starting a thread that was , well written, and as I think I've said before, well thought through.
I've enjoyed this aswell, discussions with other quite casual players who play mostly solo, and it's a nice, and rare change to see a thread like this, that hasn't been derailed by someone into pure toxicity lol

Also, I will most certainly both wave AND buff if I see you around, and most likely send you a message letting you know it's me
+1 to this. Awesome that this never got hijacked and dumped on! There is hope for humanity after all. Well, until my Sorc (his name is Cheezy Poofs, you have been warned) gets ahold of them, but that's another story...
We are Mischief and Mayhem, with a dash of shenanigans, with just a bit of tomfoolery on the side....

ChristienB
12.12.2016 , 02:13 PM | #107

Ha! I have never been able to discipline my spending enough to save up to buy the guild ship. I get distracted eas...Squirrel!
We are Mischief and Mayhem, with a dash of shenanigans, with just a bit of tomfoolery on the side....

djungelvraaal
12.12.2016 , 02:25 PM | #108
Quote: Originally Posted by ChristienB View Post
+1 to this. Awesome that this never got hijacked and dumped on! There is hope for humanity after all. Well, until my Sorc (his name is Cheezy Poofs, you have been warned) gets ahold of them, but that's another story...
I have a feeling that the usual suspects just didn't find this thread interesting enough to derail lol
Either way, this thread is the most forum fun I've had since I was a regular in the WoW pvp and healing forums back in the day( and yet, here I am, playing Swtor, neither healing, OR doing pvp, so much more difficult here I think)

And, as a solo player at heart, I can proudly say I made it through my first uprising ( yes, I'm very easily entertained, I also buffed every chance I got)
Also, welcome Craggy!

Christien, I will most certainly buff Cheezy Poofs if I ever see him( or her I guess, but it sounds like a him)

Neshira
12.12.2016 , 02:28 PM | #109
Your thread was enlightening and very well said, thank you for it!
I am a similar type of player myself. I mostly solo, I don't do PVP, and I only do Ops or FPs when my guild needs another because my guild is awesome and I like helping them out.

I play for the story. This is my stand-in for KOTOR 3, it's a wonderful Bioware story (8.5 stories actually since each class has their own!) and it's really been a wonderful experience for me.

It has issues and I want things to be changed (mostly for others) but all in all I love this game.
My Referral Link <Click for a 7 day free subscription and some awesome goodies including a free character server transfer worth 10 bucks and tons of unlocks to make playing preferred more bearable.

ENVISIONocity
12.12.2016 , 06:00 PM | #110
I have a feeling that the usual suspects just didn't find this thread interesting enough to derail lol
If you build it, they will come. It is. Inevitable.

But you know, I've been a longtime lurker here. I think I have posted once or twice in a discussion that was soon swallowed up. I couldn't even tell you what it was aboutó it was that long ago. Most of the time, I just don't see anything that engages me. Maybe it's the "soloist" in me, I couldn't say.

And I'd been intending to just log in and put myself and my experience as a solo player in SWTOR over the last five years. It wasn't as easy as that sounds. I'm a HUGELY anxious person in real life, and as awkward as they come in social situations overall. Writing as specifically and honestly as I could, it was a massive leap for me to post it. And it could have gone either way. Those who are apparently displeased with how things are going in the SWTOR galaxy as it impacts their gameplay could've tore me a new one for what they perceive as a bubble blower wearing rose-colored glasses.

Or, ... well, what did happen. You all happened.

This discussion, and hearing about other's experiences. And as solo players, many of them!

Even now, I'm sitting here writing this when I should be doing the Empire's dirty work on Nar Shadda because they're too incompetent to do the job themselves, at least that's how my current alt sees it.

Sure, we all know the destination. We've played the game enough times, even those who remain in Classic.

But isn't it about the journey? Who hasn't re-read a great book? And every time, we find nuances to enjoy things which we missed before, right?

Five years later, I continue to find myself realizing things about scenery or a storyline or what-have-you. And to this day, I'm a map addict, and have to have it open all the time, which is why a multi-monitor setup works so well. All because I'll get lost.

After five years in SWTOR!! Priceless!

Anyhowwww, I kept putting off the post.

That night, intention and opportunity shook hands, and I'm so appreciative that it did.

And, as a solo player at heart, I can proudly say I made it through my first uprising ( yes, I'm very easily entertained, I also buffed every chance I got)
I think they're a great addition, and I'll have to go in with one of my KOTFE/FOTET instants and check them out. I enjoy the heroics and in my mind, all the uprisings are are heroics or flashpoints renamed. And I don't care: they're good times to me. In WOW they were called instances, if memory serves.

The point is the journey. Some for gear, and earning disappointment; and some there to walk away playing their class betteró which you'll immediately notice when you go and deal with standard mobs afterwards.

And there I start going again. . .