PVE Shieldtech: Threat issues

Xexo

I will tell you what the problem is. I saw this coming the minute I started to level my powertech (been 50 for awhile now)

here it is:

As a Powertech tank, I noticed that our only increase in threat is a static % modifier of our DPS.

As a tank, our gear choices consist solely of defensive stats. People who DPS gear for DPS stats. Defensive stats do NOT increase our dps, DPS stats do. Our threat is a static modifier of our DPS.. see where I'm going here?

As the DPS gears up, all of the item budget on their gear is spent on DPS stats, so their DPS (and threat) increases significantly. As a Tank gears up, his DPS stays pretty static save for Aim gains. This is the problem. So, as a tank, we are expected to do 60% of the DPS that a DPS class can do.... that was all fine at teh start of the game... but as the DPS continues to gear up, their DPS continues to increase.. while the tanks DPS stays static.

This is only going to get worse.

I have been able to mitigate the effects of this somewhat;

Here's a trick. GEAR SURGE

I know it sounds counter-productive, but hear me out.. Try to find pieces with def/surge (there's def/surge enhancements).. try to get mastercrafted stuff and use Surge augments.

Surge scales very very well, and as a powertech tank a LOT of our abilities have high crit-chances (From the shield-tech tree)... Surge causes our crits to become much much larger, without having to rely on a crit rating increase to make it effective. Surge will help threat problems immensely, but it's only a band-aid. Eventually, as gear gets even better, DPS will continue to increase; as tank threat stays static.

I will tell you what the problem is. I saw this coming the minute I started to level my powertech (been 50 for awhile now)

here it is:

As a Powertech tank, I noticed that our only increase in threat is a static % modifier of our DPS.

As a tank, our gear choices consist solely of defensive stats. People who DPS gear for DPS stats. Defensive stats do NOT increase our dps, DPS stats do. Our threat is a static modifier of our DPS.. see where I'm going here?

As the DPS gears up, all of the item budget on their gear is spent on DPS stats, so their DPS (and threat) increases significantly. As a Tank gears up, his DPS stays pretty static save for Aim gains. This is the problem. So, as a tank, we are expected to do 60% of the DPS that a DPS class can do.... that was all fine at teh start of the game... but as the DPS continues to gear up, their DPS continues to increase.. while the tanks DPS stays static.

This is only going to get worse.

I have been able to mitigate the effects of this somewhat;

Here's a trick. GEAR SURGE

I know it sounds counter-productive, but hear me out.. Try to find pieces with def/surge (there's def/surge enhancements).. try to get mastercrafted stuff and use Surge augments.

Surge scales very very well, and as a powertech tank a LOT of our abilities have high crit-chances (From the shield-tech tree)... Surge causes our crits to become much much larger, without having to rely on a crit rating increase to make it effective. Surge will help threat problems immensely, but it's only a band-aid. Eventually, as gear gets even better, DPS will continue to increase; as tank threat stays static.

This. Ive had great success with threat gains since gearing several pieces with Surge. Rocket Punch and Flame Sweep have a 40%+ chance of critting. Surge crit Rocket Punch spam is very high threat on single targets and once youre 50 and geared out decently youre Shield chance basically makes the CD on it 4.5 secs.