This is why EU players play EU developed games

Zzar

What a completely moronic time to take down the servers for a patch of all things.

Yea, one can get a life and get some fresh air and all sorts of standardized troll replies to complaint threads like this one, but never the less, this is NOT good service.

It's early afternoon in North America and judging by where their offices are located (NA) they chose a time that was best for them to do it.

Ask yourself, would your wife/kids/girlfriends be ok with you working at 3am to patch a game because some people whined it affected their game time on another continent?

No they wouldnt.

So cool your jets speedracer, it'll be up soon.

You're complaining about when something needs to be fixed. It's like having a prototype car that needs to be improved to continue its use, but you don't want to actually drive it down to the dealership nonetheless complain when it breaks down on your way to work because the dealership happens to not be open at the middle of the night.

If you don't get what I'm saying, it's that BioWare is NA based -- they're not sitting at home calling each other up for a weekly ********** and then goin' about, "Hey you know what else would be super fun? Let's piss off EU players by purposely taking down the servers for no reason during primetime."

The developers aren't immigrants that are scavenging for the *******st shifts they can get, these are world-class developers that have families and real lives tailored around their service for this game. If they are in a certain time zone, they're not just gonna be working in the middle of the night because a bunch of whining EU players can't get it through their thick skull why it's down. This would be as logical as me going, "Man BioWare just loves crapping on Americans who work night shifts, that's their entire mission statement or why they and EA invested so heavily in this MMO." You sound like more of a moron for being so ignorant and egotistical to think their decisions are based on you, and you alone.

Yeah, I'm annoyed with server downtime since all I have to do is wonder when it's gonna be going back up, but I'm not annoyed that it's down. I'm annoyed that they didn't post details and they gave us a run around on why it was even going down in the first place. Not because I'm stupid enough to think they are all out to get me. I'm not gonna say, go outside and get some fresh air, because I am being troll, but because your reasoning for why they have server maintenance is so irrational that I sincerely believe that is the only way to relieve your stupidity.

I live in the US but I only play on EU because the community is 10x better. But what he is saying is that most games like Wow, Rift, Aion, have two separate games for US and EU. This game put both EU and US on the same game and only allowing one maintenance time which basically only favors US. He isnt complaining about the fact they are fixing some thing he is complaining that the fact US and EU should not even be on the same server period. On WoW EU servers's offices are located in the EU not US so there is no problem. The fact that this time is there peak time and the fact that some servers are under populated sucks. But that is another topic that should be discussed some where. Edited by BojanglesLol

I om from Sweden and this is a really bad time for me personally to have the servers go down.

Then again .. If the majority of the players (and by majority I mean a substantial majority) is US-players. Then this is democracy. And I dont like it, but that aint matter much. The majority gets its way. As it should be... even it pisses med off.

Edited by Dirtysolutions

Thanks to the ones that got it, and.... to the ones that don't.

Believe me, I do understand a thing or two about work hours, but the thing is, when your company is servicing hundreds of thousands of customers, the work hours of a few employees a few days every now and than is a rather low concern as opposed to the amount of customers your giving bad service to.

So your suggestion is to give downtime to other people instead of you? The entire point is they're not targeting you, that's what we're trying to say... if they specifically avoided never giving any downtime to EU primetime, then they would be seen as targetting Americans, Asians, or Australians or some such other customer base. Somebody's going to suffer no matter what, you're complaint is not that that's going to happen, it's just that it happens to be you. So it's not a legitimate one, instead BioWare is just being logical and going, well rather than targeting anyone let's just do it at our own schedule as no matter what we do we'll be messing up SOMEONE's primetime.

I don't agree with the entire fact that they're doing this for the trial weekend anyways.

So your suggestion is to give downtime to other people instead of you?

Not at all, my perfectly reasonable expectation, is that they do it at different times for the different timezones.

In any other service than the MMO industry, this would be a given.

And in any service situation, that is an incredibly small sacrifice for a service provider to make in order to keep customers happy.

Edited by Zzar

Thanks to the ones that got it, and.... to the ones that don't.

Believe me, I do understand a thing or two about work hours, but the thing is, when your company is servicing hundreds of thousands of customers, the work hours of a few employees a few days every now and than is a rather low concern as opposed to the amount of customers your giving bad service to.

I personally think that BioWare should look at implementing split patches... the 'offiicial' stance is that they want everyone to get the same patch at the same time. But in an online world that really isn't realistic unless you're in a single-shard environment (like EVE for example). Anytime you have geographically located server farms *scheduled* patches should probably occur in times conducive to those timezones rather than trying to patch every server at every farm at the same time. IE: Patch all servers at the same (local) time of day rather than patching them all at once.

That said... emergency downtimes will happen and those really should get fixed at the same time on all servers because there are any number of reasons you don't want to wait to fix something. Just like there are plenty of valid reasons why you sometimes don't want to tell the players just why you had to do an emergency patch. No offense... yes you are a customer... no, you are not a board member.

Edited by TaramCaldar

I personally think that BioWare should look at implementing split patches... the 'offiicial' stance is that they want everyone to get the same patch at the same time. But in an online world that really isn't realistic unless you're in a single-shard environment (like EVE for example). Anytime you have geographically located server farms *scheduled* patches should probably occur in times conducive to those timezones rather than trying to patch every server at every farm at the same time. IE: Patch all servers at the same (local) time of day rather than patching them all at once.

That said... emergency downtimes will happen and those really should get fixed at the same time on all servers because there are any number of reasons you don't want to wait to fix something. Just like there are plenty of valid reasons why you sometimes don't want to tell the players just why you had to do an emergency patch. No offense... yes you are a customer... no, you are not a board member.

Offense none taken, and I agree with everything you say.

I will add though, that in the case of an "emergency" patch, the very least they could do is put up information that THAT's what it is.

I do not presume to be asked my personal position on the matter by bioware prior to any decisions, so no I'm not a board member, but in this day and age, where feeds of information instantly about anything all the time is as normal as breathing, the mmo industry is severely lagging behind.

It feels like there is still a misguided conception amongst server admins that only kids with nothing but time to waste play mmos.

i would hope that the bioware team runs a 24 hour ship.i very much doubt that at 5Pm in whatever timezone.they pack up their lunch box's and go home,hoping that if anything goes wrong the caretaker will fix it.i'm sure there is a fully trained team there at all times.so that when a problem arises they can fix it.

It's unfortunate that they chose to patch at europeon peak times and very frustrating.

I'm all for two seperate server banks. America and europe.would save lots of upset. :)

Edited by saychel