Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Volatile Strike doesn’t have a 9 second cooldown increase but Catalyzed Toxins does

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes > Scoundrel / Operative
Volatile Strike doesn’t have a 9 second cooldown increase but Catalyzed Toxins does

UltraFlashStar's Avatar


UltraFlashStar
11.16.2019 , 04:12 AM | #1
Let’s compare them:

Volatile Strike does more damage and is more reliable than Catalyzed Toxins (Sanguinary Shot misses a lot despite having 110% accuracy. This happens mainly on tanks but happens on healers and DPS frequently as well. Missing it applies the debuff but doesn’t detonate the DoTs).

Catalyzed Toxins has a 9 second cooldown increase on their burst (presumably to cap their burst for some reason) while Volatile Strike doesn’t.

In addition, Catalyzed Toxins makes you waste 2 additional GCDs after you use it reapply DoTs. Meanwhile after Volatile Strike you’re free to continue on with your damage. There are energy problems when using it for a prolonged period of time as well



There is also a bug(?) with Catalyzed Toxins, if your Bushwack apples Vital Shot to a target that wasn’t your main target then Catalyzed Toxin won’t remove it and do Vital Shots damage. For example..

Target A has both VS and SB (Vital Shot and Sharp Bomb) on them. Bushwack spreads Vital Shot to Target B. Sanguinary Shot detonates Target A’s dots, but using Sanguinary Shot on Target B (who has both DoTs) would only remove and do the damage of Sharp Bomb.
Coppes Spacer
“Let me play you a sad song on the galaxy’s smallest xantha.”

Dropfall's Avatar


Dropfall
11.16.2019 , 03:43 PM | #2
Catalyzed Toxins Tac is a very dumb Tactical for PVE.
You waste two GCDs reapplying DoTs, which is also two GCDs your DoTs aren't ticking, your Toxic Blast isn't doing any damage because there are no DoTs on the target, and you have an increased CD so a reduced ability to get Tactical Advantage (can't remember what is on Pub Side), and you certainly ain't using Corrosive Assault (also can't remember the name) because it'd be a massive waste. All that loss for a big boom every 23s

What you want to be using is Synox Shots. - 100% dmg increase to Toxic Blast, energy return on crits. In those two GCDs I can Corrosive Assaults back to back; that's 4 x Toxic Blast + 4 x DoT dmg triggered be CA + 2 x DoTs themselves + the DoTs triggering 2 x Toxic Blast + the 2 x dmg from Corrosive Assault. And each element has it's own chance to Crit.

memerobot's Avatar


memerobot
11.16.2019 , 05:30 PM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by UltraFlashStar View Post
Volatile Strike does more damage and is more reliable than Catalyzed Toxins (Sanguinary Shot misses a lot despite having 110% accuracy. This happens mainly on tanks but happens on healers and DPS frequently as well. Missing it applies the debuff but doesn’t detonate the DoTs).

Catalyzed Toxins has a 9 second cooldown increase on their burst (presumably to cap their burst for some reason) while Volatile Strike doesn’t.

In addition, Catalyzed Toxins makes you waste 2 additional GCDs after you use it reapply DoTs. Meanwhile after Volatile Strike you’re free to continue on with your damage. There are energy problems when using it for a prolonged period of time as well

There is also a bug(?) with Catalyzed Toxins, if your Bushwack apples Vital Shot to a target that wasn’t your main target then Catalyzed Toxin won’t remove it and do Vital Shots damage. For example..

Target A has both VS and SB (Vital Shot and Sharp Bomb) on them. Bushwack spreads Vital Shot to Target B. Sanguinary Shot detonates Target A’s dots, but using Sanguinary Shot on Target B (who has both DoTs) would only remove and do the damage of Sharp Bomb.

First: Going to start with the fact that they nerfed the DPS. You know how much it was doing on PTS compared to now. That will be reason number 1 to just NOT use it anyway, and honestly the only one you need. Seriously, the best hit you can have with this is around 80k - 85k and for you to do that, you need to have both relics of power and mastery proc + use of the new ability that increases mastery by 20% + both dots crit + tactician set and have a decently high mastery/power/crit stats on your pool.

Second: the mechanics of reset dots and the increased length of CD by 9s are understandable with the way the tactical works, if the damage was MEANINGFUL, which is not. Also, don't forget that its heavy energy negative.

Third: There is also a bug where, in the case your opponent deflects the hit, the dots sometimes just vanish from target and damage is NOT dealt. Its not just that one that you mention.

And lastly: Why the hell are you even playing Ruffian(Leth) when Scrapper(Concealment) is doing more damage for less effort in both contents?
Seriously, even I had to give up on it. The fact that this spec(Ruff/Leth) receives this treatment, just says enough how much they care about it. Its whole history was just constant nerfs and it will always be that way. They ask for ways to buff it, or rather more welcoming for players, but they just make it even less popular/worse (I am almost 100% sure its the least played spec out of all tbh) by either just buffing the others or just make this one unbearable that... well, you know what I mean by now.

I know Scrapper becomes boring real quick but seriously, its overperforming and everyone knows it, so abuse it as much as you can instead of wasting effort trying to perform on something that is always being kicked in the face. This is 2.X all over again, where you have to just pretend it doesn't exist.


Quote: Originally Posted by Dropfall View Post
Catalyzed Toxins Tac is a very dumb Tactical for PVE.
You waste two GCDs reapplying DoTs, which is also two GCDs your DoTs aren't ticking, your Toxic Blast isn't doing any damage because there are no DoTs on the target, and you have an increased CD so a reduced ability to get Tactical Advantage (can't remember what is on Pub Side), and you certainly ain't using Corrosive Assault (also can't remember the name) because it'd be a massive waste. All that loss for a big boom every 23s

What you want to be using is Synox Shots. - 100% dmg increase to Toxic Blast, energy return on crits. In those two GCDs I can Corrosive Assaults back to back; that's 4 x Toxic Blast + 4 x DoT dmg triggered be CA + 2 x DoTs themselves + the DoTs triggering 2 x Toxic Blast + the 2 x dmg from Corrosive Assault. And each element has it's own chance to Crit.
I know you want to call it PvE really bad but its not. The tactical screams for PvP use in every single word of its description and what it does. Not sure if you tested it on PTS but it was doing double-triple damage that it does now while keeping all the disadvantages it currently has and you wouldn't find any use for it in PvE because Synox shots was still doing better, and a quick reminder, Synox shots was utter crap in PTS, as they buffed it when turning to Live.
And yes, all this means that its just best to ignore Catalyzed toxins altogether because there's absolutely no use for it since Synox shots just does a better job in every way. Unless they restore how it used to be in PTS, then it just belong in the closet where you forget things for years.

Shirvington's Avatar


Shirvington
11.19.2019 , 02:44 AM | #4
The only real use I've seen for Catalyzed Toxins is Heroics or maybe goofing off in easy FPs. Dot-dot-POP and if the mob dies in 10 secs, you get Toxic Blast back. Otherwise, the way it is structured now (longer cooldown and having to reapply dots and missing a lot), it's pretty lackluster.

Catalyzed Toxins looks like it's the "burst" tact for Leth, but Volatile Strike is better in most every way.

memerobot's Avatar


memerobot
11.19.2019 , 05:19 PM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by Shirvington View Post
The only real use I've seen for Catalyzed Toxins is Heroics or maybe goofing off in easy FPs. Dot-dot-POP and if the mob dies in 10 secs, you get Toxic Blast back. Otherwise, the way it is structured now (longer cooldown and having to reapply dots and missing a lot), it's pretty lackluster.

Catalyzed Toxins looks like it's the "burst" tact for Leth, but Volatile Strike is better in most every way.
Problem is not even the fact you have to reapply dots or the longer CD.
Its the damage. You can't even kill silver npcs with it(unless you're extremely lucky with everything, meaning both dots crit with relic procs and all that).

And yeah, its meant to be the burst tact for Leth but they nerfed it that its just blatantly useless. Seriously, you have way more consistent and fatal damage with Synox shots than with Catalyzed toxins, where you have to be lucky for both dots to crit and you'll only deal significant damage, which still is massively disappiointing. Peaks at 70k - 80k at best.