Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Good hardware to play the game ?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Good hardware to play the game ?

OlBuzzard
05.21.2019 , 05:29 PM | #1
I'm upgrading a few items on the old puter. I know some of you are pretty darn good at this stuff. And maybe it might help someone else as well.

Sooo .. Let me run a few specs by and see what shakes out.
1. Current graphics card: NVidia GeForce GTX 1080
2. New CPU i9 9900 K ... (possibly).. Kind of what I'd prefer as far as I can tell. This is one of the items I'm looking at really hard.
3. Mother Board: either ASUS or Gigabyte .. (still debating this one too)
4. 64 gig RAM (for now at least)
5. SSD ?? Not sure. Depending upon what tech / spec you read: Yes. I do know that SSD loads MUCH faster than the old style HD. But...the down side is that when they start to go .. they're simply gone. And I have 10-12 years of 3-D models and other art work that I'd prefer not to loose. Sooo Looks like an external drive as well to use for back up stuff.

My monitor and most everything else is new or only 10- 12 months old ... only the case is older: Cooler Master Cosmos. It still has plenty of room for about anything I need to shove under the hood !

A little tech input from those who care to would be appreciated ! The biggest concern I have is unforseen "bottle necks" that might be there if there was a lack of compatibility between components.

Thanks in advance !
(████████████████████████████]:|█[ioi]█[|||████]|█|

AshlaBoga
05.21.2019 , 05:44 PM | #2
Your graphics card is way more than enough for TOR, I played from Dec 2011 - April 2019 with a GTX 770 and never had it max out.

CPU is more important, specifically single-core performance. SWTOR is super single core heavy so that's a big one.

An SSD helps for loading times for planets and zones, but those aren't bothering you then you're good there.

Overall, just make sure you don't have bitraider, and minimize your latency as much as possible.
The dark is generous, and it is patient, and it always wins.
It always wins because it is everywhere.
The brightest light casts the darkest shadow.
Click my Referral Code for free goodies!

Benirons
05.21.2019 , 06:23 PM | #3
For just the game 64 gigs of ram is absolute overkill.

I still only have 8 gigs in 2019 and have zero issues with running game + several other apps open.

CPU, the better the individual core is, the better your performance. SWTOR does not use 4 cores, mostly just 1 maybe 2 (not sure).

I dont think it matters how good a CPU you are using, you will still lag badly on bug WB on ossus.

No reason not to have game on SSD or m.2 even. The stuff you care about you should always keep backed up on separate HDD.

MadDutchman
05.21.2019 , 09:16 PM | #4
While SSD sizes have gone up a lot, it's still more practical in my opinion to have an SSD and HDD. SSD for fast stuff, HDD for multimedia and other big stuff.

Otherwise, that system is massive levels of overkill (not really a bad thing if you got the cash). Just remember not to skimp on the cooler. Probably the biggest mistake I see is people buying monster CPUs and putting a stock/near stock cooler on it so it just ends up throttling to keep from exploding.
Demand: Are. We. There. Yet.

Use my referral link for free goodies.

OlBuzzard
05.21.2019 , 09:47 PM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by Benirons View Post
For just the game 64 gigs of ram is absolute overkill.

I still only have 8 gigs in 2019 and have zero issues with running game + several other apps open.

CPU, the better the individual core is, the better your performance. SWTOR does not use 4 cores, mostly just 1 maybe 2 (not sure).

I dont think it matters how good a CPU you are using, you will still lag badly on bug WB on ossus.

No reason not to have game on SSD or m.2 even. The stuff you care about you should always keep backed up on separate HDD.
One thing that I failed to mention was that I also do 3-D modeling (wings 3-D).. and I already have a few models that use to bog the old GPU down until I went to the new Nvidia... That was also one of the reasons I'm going to 64 gig RAM ..
OH .. and of course everything is running at 64 bit as well.

I do appreciate the input.

OlBuzzard
05.21.2019 , 09:55 PM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by MadDutchman View Post
While SSD sizes have gone up a lot, it's still more practical in my opinion to have an SSD and HDD. SSD for fast stuff, HDD for multimedia and other big stuff.

Otherwise, that system is massive levels of overkill (not really a bad thing if you got the cash). Just remember not to skimp on the cooler. Probably the biggest mistake I see is people buying monster CPUs and putting a stock/near stock cooler on it so it just ends up throttling to keep from exploding.
Agreed. That is the main reason that I'm keeping my old Cosmos case. It has a killer cooling fan on it. And I custom built my own desk to make sure that there is easy access to all of the wiring in the back as well as plenty of ventilation with a 6 inch fan on the underside of said desk pushing fresh air in.

It is a bit of over kill.. but this last system was at the time I initially had it built ... That was over 10 years ago. I'm running an old quad core DDR-3 system right now. This with the exception of the newer items we just had installed in the last ffew months.

NOTE to everyone who has responded. I really do appreciate the input. This has been very helpful. I have done a lot of research on my own... but thought I'd see what some of the rest of you might think. I'm quite certain that a lot of you know much more about these new fangled gadgets than I do !

JediQuaker
05.22.2019 , 11:26 AM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by OlBuzzard View Post
1. Current graphics card: NVidia GeForce GTX 1080
2. New CPU i9 9900 K
3. Mother Board: either ASUS or Gigabyte .. (still debating this one too)
4. 64 gig RAM (for now at least)
5. SSD ??
1. The GTX 1080 should handle the graphics in SWTOR very easily. Even at 1440p or 4K. There's not much need to upgrade it.
2. SWTOR is very CPU bound. It only uses 1 or 2 cores and likes high clock speed and IPC (Instructions Per Clock). The i7-9900K is generally the best gaming CPU you can get at this time. You don't need all those cores for SWTOR, but they will come in handy for video editing.
If cost becomes a factor, you could consider an i5-9700 or a new Ryzen 3000 series CPU (when the are released later this year.)
3. They are both well respected motherboard makers. Any of the "good" brands would do. It's mostly just a matter of features and price.
4. 16Gigs is the "normal" amount of RAM these days, but more doesn't hurt and, again, may help video editing, etc.
5. You don't already have an SSD?!! An SSD makes the whole system much snappier. Once you have your OS and main apps/games on an SSD, you'll never go back to hard drives.
My suggestion for you would be - an M.2 NVMe drive for OS and main apps - 250 Gigs is enough, but 500Gigs would be a good "sweet spot". You can also add a 2TB hard drive (or more/larger) for bulk storage of files.
BTW, when an SSD fails due to old age, it usually fails to write new info, but the old info can still be read, giving you time to copy stuff to a new drive. Modern SSDs have such a long life-span that you'll probably be upgrading to something new long before they fail. (They have a lower failure rate than HDDs also.)

6. The case is just a box to hold the hardware together. Unless it lacks some feature you want, there's never any real need to change it. (I recently had to change my case because the poor airflow in the previous one was cooking the graphics card, but other than that, it was fine.)
Hold water, a sieve may not, but hold another sieve, it will - Yoda..

Referral code - http://www.swtor.com/r/dZ8wSV

Rion_Starkiller
05.22.2019 , 12:06 PM | #8
Everything looks pretty good, imo.

Quote: Originally Posted by OlBuzzard View Post
5. SSD ?? Not sure. Depending upon what tech / spec you read: Yes. I do know that SSD loads MUCH faster than the old style HD. But...the down side is that when they start to go .. they're simply gone. And I have 10-12 years of 3-D models and other art work that I'd prefer not to loose. Sooo Looks like an external drive as well to use for back up stuff.
I wanted to address this part. You can absolutely use your old school HDD in conjunction with your SSD. But I highly highly recommend that you buy a M.2 SSD, like this Samsung https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-970-P.../dp/B07BYHGNB5.

Mechanical HDD's make great backup and storage drives. Install Windows on this drive and use it as your "main" drive. Your old mechanical drive will be separate and will still be usable. Install all of your most-used apps on the M.2 SSD. You won't regret it.

If you have never experienced the speed of the newest M.2 NVME drives, you are missing out. I swear by these things.
-Beruhl, NiM Space Barbie and Solo Ranked Forum PvP (ง︡'-'︠)ง
(\/)(,,,,)(\/) ̵̱ ̵̱ ̵̱ ̵̱ ̵̱(̢ ̡͇̅└͇̅┘͇̅ (▤8כ−◦
8 pugs and a grophet i do what i want major league memes can i borrow a stim?

OlBuzzard
05.22.2019 , 04:43 PM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by JediQuaker View Post
1. The GTX 1080 should handle the graphics in SWTOR very easily. Even at 1440p or 4K. There's not much need to upgrade it.
2. SWTOR is very CPU bound. It only uses 1 or 2 cores and likes high clock speed and IPC (Instructions Per Clock). The i7-9900K is generally the best gaming CPU you can get at this time. You don't need all those cores for SWTOR, but they will come in handy for video editing.
If cost becomes a factor, you could consider an i5-9700 or a new Ryzen 3000 series CPU (when the are released later this year.)
3. They are both well respected motherboard makers. Any of the "good" brands would do. It's mostly just a matter of features and price.
4. 16Gigs is the "normal" amount of RAM these days, but more doesn't hurt and, again, may help video editing, etc.
5. You don't already have an SSD?!! An SSD makes the whole system much snappier. Once you have your OS and main apps/games on an SSD, you'll never go back to hard drives.
My suggestion for you would be - an M.2 NVMe drive for OS and main apps - 250 Gigs is enough, but 500Gigs would be a good "sweet spot". You can also add a 2TB hard drive (or more/larger) for bulk storage of files.
BTW, when an SSD fails due to old age, it usually fails to write new info, but the old info can still be read, giving you time to copy stuff to a new drive. Modern SSDs have such a long life-span that you'll probably be upgrading to something new long before they fail. (They have a lower failure rate than HDDs also.)

6. The case is just a box to hold the hardware together. Unless it lacks some feature you want, there's never any real need to change it. (I recently had to change my case because the poor airflow in the previous one was cooking the graphics card, but other than that, it was fine.)

Quote: Originally Posted by Rion_Starkiller View Post
Everything looks pretty good, imo.

I wanted to address this part. You can absolutely use your old school HDD in conjunction with your SSD. But I highly highly recommend that you buy a M.2 SSD, like this Samsung https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-970-P.../dp/B07BYHGNB5.

Mechanical HDD's make great backup and storage drives. Install Windows on this drive and use it as your "main" drive. Your old mechanical drive will be separate and will still be usable. Install all of your most-used apps on the M.2 SSD. You won't regret it.

If you have never experienced the speed of the newest M.2 NVME drives, you are missing out. I swear by these things.
I really do appreciate the information.. REALLY !
Your input (and that of a close friend on the east coast).. pretty much reinforces the same conclusion I have came to save one item in particular: the SSD. I was still somewhat indecisive HHD ?? or SSD??
I'll probably get a 1 TB SSD drive with a 1 TB HHD to use for back up on all my art and 3-D files.

Input is much appreciated !
Best Regards
Ol Buzzard

Rion_Starkiller
05.23.2019 , 10:40 AM | #10
Sorry, one small bit of clarification: to get the maximum benefit of your M.2 SSD, install Windows on the SSD, not the mechanical HDD.
-Beruhl, NiM Space Barbie and Solo Ranked Forum PvP (ง︡'-'︠)ง
(\/)(,,,,)(\/) ̵̱ ̵̱ ̵̱ ̵̱ ̵̱(̢ ̡͇̅└͇̅┘͇̅ (▤8כ−◦
8 pugs and a grophet i do what i want major league memes can i borrow a stim?