Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Unique Cultural Offerings in SWTOR

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Unique Cultural Offerings in SWTOR

JakRoanin
11.07.2018 , 08:10 AM | #1
Okay I don't mean to make this sound like some SJW spiel but I've been playing a lot on my Non-human Legacy lately and I'm a bit bummed that there's not a lot of unique stuff for the Cathar, Zabrak, Chiss, Mirialan, Rattakiki, Twi'lek, Togruta, and Sith Pure-Blood's out there.

So, I'm wondering why aren't there specific designs for weapons, armor, and SH decorations etc. for the lore and cultures of our not-quite-human friends? There are the Cathar Honor Swords, and that one Twi'lek armor set, but truthfully I'm talking about making stuff specific to the races that cannot be used by others.

TyonYlle
11.07.2018 , 08:21 AM | #2
It's cool, I don't think SJW enters into this discussion on account of it being fiction based, or it shouldn't. Maybe you should try tweeting Charles, you'd probably have better luck reaching him then you would on the forums and I think you have a wicked idea! Plus, he is the lore/story guy, who knows maybe he might even reply if the tweet gets enough attention and I'm sure it would!

JakRoanin
11.07.2018 , 08:25 AM | #3
But I don't tweet. Maybe someone will point him here.

JakRoanin
11.07.2018 , 09:45 AM | #4
But I don't tweet. Maybe someone will point him here.

Nefla
11.07.2018 , 10:18 AM | #5
I think it simply boils down to money/resources. At this point they're operating on a skeleton crew, the majority of BioWare employees have been stolen for "Anthem" so they're making very little to begin with and what they make has to have the widest most general appeal/use possible I would love if they made distinct cultural things (including more mentions of species in conversation)

JakRoanin
05.26.2019 , 02:08 PM | #6
Well, now that we'll be getting Nautalans I'm hoping that the devs will make species matter more than just a cosmetic skin.

KendraP
05.26.2019 , 06:55 PM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by JakRoanin View Post
Well, now that we'll be getting Nautalans I'm hoping that the devs will make species matter more than just a cosmetic skin.
And how exactly do you want them to do that?

The class stories are already written, and anything added must fit into the existing arcs. Certain ones (agent for instance) mention your species, but due to the fact that it must fit the larger arc, it will never be a front and center issue that specifically. At best it'll be a human/alien split like already exists in some areas (as another example the natolaun on coruscant where you go to find his mate the dancer).

MadDutchman
05.26.2019 , 09:18 PM | #8
As others have mentioned, this purely a matter of resources/complexity. Every flag you add adds complexity, every species specific line you add is $$$, and people who don't play those species will never hear it.

That being said, most of the imperial classes have human (+ Sith)/alien comments. SI even has some species specific dialogs, at least with "original" species (Twi'lek in particular).

SW doesn't have much since originally they couldn't be an alien species (empire doesn't consider PB to be alien)
Demand: Are. We. There. Yet.

Use my referral link for free goodies.

JakRoanin
05.27.2019 , 09:19 AM | #9
Adding Lore Friendly Armors, Weapons, specific for all the different races we play. Abilities unique to the races. That sort of thing. There are a few weapons and an Armor Set with Lore to the Cathar and Twi'lek, but surely they can add more.

Lhancelot
05.27.2019 , 10:13 AM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by JakRoanin View Post
So, I'm wondering why aren't there specific designs for weapons, armor, and SH decorations etc. for the lore and cultures of our not-quite-human friends?
I think this is a great question and idea on how to add cultural unique items to the game. I don't know why there aren't more things of this manner tbh.

I guess the very human trait of only seeing things through our own eyes and not others' exists even within the very human devs that created SWTOR and have continued to work on SWTOR till now.

More proof humans made this game, not aliens, if anyone wondered.
TRUE
Quote: Originally Posted by DarthSpuds View Post
RNG is counterproductive because it massively increases player dissatisfaction.
FALSE
Quote: Originally Posted by olagatonjedi View Post
As I detailed in another thread, RNG give the players more control over their gearing.