Forum Policy Update

AllisonBerryman

As a result of the recent changes (discussed in Joveth’s note), we’ll be enforcing our forum guidelines and Rules of Conduct more strictly than before. If you are being rude, disrespectful, and insulting towards others and are not civil and constructive in your posts, you will find your posting privileges removed more quickly than in the past.

You really think this is the way to go??? you really think swinging the ban hammer and ninja closing threads when community is more worried than ever (and we have a reason for it) is the way to make us feel that our community team is involved?

I dont think so, imho you decided to make this in the worst time in the worst way.

Did i elaborate enough my reply or will my post be deleted?

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You may find that threads that are not constructive are removed or closed without warning. Here are some things we consider unconstructive:

• Long lists of gripes with few specific details and little useful feedback
  • Threads that bash the game or BioWare
  • Threads about quitting the game
  • Callouts towards specific developers
  • "Haters" vs "fanboys" arguments/unconstructive community commentary

Great News, this was long overdue!

I'm not sure if I like this change or not. I mean it will be great to get rid of trolls, but there are a lot of frustrated players who vary in age and education levels. Some people aren't very good at expressing themselves or their frustrations into constructive criticism. I'm more worried that someone will misinterpret a post or thread, take it personally, and dish out punishments to players who really don't deserve it and who have stuck with this game through all the hard times. I mean honestly forums and blogs are where your fans and players come to chat about the game and vent frustrations at things that need to be fixed. These dev posts and rule listings are turning me off to using the forums much. Am I the only one that feels this way? It just seems counterproductive to be using threats like this against the remaining players who are still giving suggestions or input even if they are doing it while venting frustrations.

Well you guys used to be on fire with closing unnecessary threads a few weeks back, near transfer time etc. And then it got quiet and the boards got messy :p Nice to see things will be normal again, sifting throuhg 5 threads saying the same thing was not fun ^^

This is great news and I hope it leads to a positive change in the general forum.

Yeah, it would be a refreshing change if they clamp down on all the nonconstructive negative posts and pointless subjective rants. It get's tedious and distracts from more constructive discussion (which does not mean no negative comments about the game, but rather constructive discussion of both negative and positive without so much hyperbole and drive-by shots at the game).

Edited by Andryah

You really think this is the way to go??? you really think swinging the ban hammer and ninja closing threads when community is more worried than ever (and we have a reason for it) is the way to make us feel that our community team is involved?

I dont think so, imho you decided to make this in the worst time in the worst way.

Did i elaborate enough my reply or will my post be deleted?

Might I make a suggestion that you read all the dev posts in this thread before spouting out nonsense like that? They already said they aren't going to just ban people for looking at them funny it's when a thread or post is clearly just trolling that it will be quietly removed or an infraction given out, as long as you aren't clearly just looking to make trouble then you'll be fine.

IMO it's needed with the sheer amount of hatred, bashing and trolling going on in the forums nowadays so if the next few days are about cleaning it up, I say go for it,.

Yeah, it would be a refreshing change if they clamp down on all the nonconstructive negative posts and pointless subjective rants. It get's tedious and distracts from more constructive discussion (which does not mean no negative comments about the game, but rather constructive discussion of both negative and positive without so much hyperbole and drive-by shots at the game).

And I would especially appreciate it if they can weed out all the company and developer bashing that goes on here. I've never seen so much tolerance of such bad behavior and I hope they force it down several notches through enforcement now.

Edited by Andryah

Hmm, another welcome addition might be to remove locked threads instead of just disabling them. Quite frankly, even the thread titles can be quite upsetting, lol. Even a "Thread Graveyard" sub-forum would be great. Just something I wanted to put out there.

One of the most common criticisms we see is that the forums are ugly and that trolling and negativity drive away players who DO want to contribute constructively. We want the forums to be a friendly place to discuss the game, and we want to protect players that want to use them that way. That doesn't mean we want to eliminate negative feedback, but we do want to cut down on the insults, hostility, and other behaviors that sometimes make the forums inhospitable. We want to encourage people to provide us with useful feedback that we can take to the developers. We also want to remove people who are just here to insult others and bash the game for entertainment.

Really? One of the most common criticisms I saw before all the layoffs and the community team blackout was that you were the "forum nazi's"

I saw several dozen threads about how they were unsubbing because they couldn't leave any feedback without getting infractions or merged or banned.

Do you really think that becoming even more strict is the right answer?

Really? One of the most common criticisms I saw before all the layoffs and the community team blackout was that you were the "forum nazi's"

I saw several dozen threads about how they were unsubbing because they couldn't leave any feedback without getting infractions or merged or banned.

Do you really think anyone unsubbed because they had a thread merged? No... dude, no.

I very much welcome this. Looking forward to seeing it and thanks for dealing with this problem.

I think this is an excellent move. I may be able to stop building my ignore list :)

They are allowing legitimate criticism, especially when there is constructive feedback. I'm sure there will be animated discussions and differences of opinion. But there were far too many hate and trolling posts whose only purpose seemed to be bashing Bioware or ridiculing other posters. There is absolutely no reason Bioware or the other forum posters need be subjected to that kind of post.

I don't know if I'll continue SWTOR or not, but if I should decide to leave the only comments from me will be constructive criticism in the form they provide.

Edited by Erasimus

Why clutter the forums with three million "I'm quitting" threads, particurally if they all say pretty much the same thing? They merged them to keep the forums cleaner and allow people to voice their complaints in one thread where others could look at criticisms and reasons for leaving.

Just wanted to say I'm very happy about this. :tran_cool:

Reminds me of World of Warcraft, I have no idea the state of their forums now but I used to use them when the game came out but by the time Burning Crusade had been released the forums were absolutely awful. New players would be openly mocked for asking questions, the developers and community team were constantly being insulted and called out and arguements were everywhere. In short it was just a really hostile nasty atmosphere and I don't want to have that happen here so I welcome the new policy.

Just wanted to say I'm very happy about this. :tran_cool:

Reminds me of World of Warcraft, I have no idea the state of their forums now but I used to use them when the game came out but by the time Burning Crusade had been released the forums were absolutely awful. New players would be openly mocked for asking questions, the developers and community team were constantly being insulted and called out and arguements were everywhere. In short it was just a really hostile nasty atmosphere and I don't want to have that happen here so I welcome the new policy.

I quit around the firelands patch during cata due to my 9th guild dying and I didn't feel like looking for yet another one and I can tell you the forums are...a tad better, but still a cesspit of haters and stupidity.

Why clutter the forums with three million "I'm quitting" threads, particurally if they all say pretty much the same thing? They merged them to keep the forums cleaner and allow people to voice their complaints in one thread where others could look at criticisms and reasons for leaving.

ya, we certainly don't need to hear the problems of the 50+ million people in north america who live below the poverty line with little education to back them with eloquent responses to the debacles of governance, either.

it's the same sentiment.

ya, we certainly don't need to hear the problems of the 50+ million people in north america who live below the poverty line with little education to back them with eloquent responses to the debacles of governance, either.

it's the same sentiment.

Don't the people who unsub get to fill in a survey about why the left, going directly to BioWare? So no, not the same thing mate. We here on the forums can't do anything about it anyways.

Finally:cool:
Hear hear. In-game the community rocks. Now maybe the forums will have a chance to reflect what the core community is really like. Glad to see plays well with others is being encouraged. Thank you Allison. :) Edited by GalacticKegger