Damage Dealer Specs are broken need to be fixed in 6.0

Simplette

Let's talk straightly about business: I play the game for multiple years and experienced all expansions. I always enjoyed playing as damage dealer in operation and could depend on own skills. Back then we had a beautiful skill tree and could build hybrids, tuning your character the best way for the fight or own playstyle. Then during SoR expansion you replaced it with casual skill tree. Back then damage dealers would not go for critical or alacrity rating but for aim/cunning/willpower/strength. Then with KoTFE you removed it. Back then we could tuning our stats with unlettered/A/B mods and enhancements. Then with KoTET you almost totally removed this ability with only exception of getting it from RNG boxes. All your actions above had a strong effect over time. Dependence on skill was replaced with random numbers generation.

As beautiful example I am happy to show you critical chance I got over 15 pulls on the same boss. Every time I did the same thing with confidence, the same rotation but different result. So here are 15 crit %: 54, 56, 45, 63, 49, 51, 50, 52, 53, 60, 50, 57, 56, 44. The amplitude between the lowest (44) and the highest (63) is 19%! Which is around 2 thousand DPS. The class I used does not really matter but the stats were 1.9k Critical Rating and 1.4k Alacrity. Of course there is a possibility of going 2.5k crit but that one totally removes force/energy management as your GCD would be around 1.4-1.5s. I obtain this problem not the first time and the fight I experienced few days ago just triggered me. No matter what you do the game is always right.

With 6.0, please, put back at least mods/enhancements stats tunings. Make something with RNG in PvE and make it more skill dependent. Fix tank stats so defense rating is not useless but usable.

With hope for the best,

Eternal Subscriber.

While i can agree on your complaint about how the loot boxes changed the chance of getting BiS-geared from skill based to rng, i fear you didnt get the concept of critical raiting and the math behind it. And i dont see how gear tuning with A/B mods would change that.

The whole concept of cricitcal hits IS rng/luck. Ever heard of gaussian normal distribution? While you can increase your chances, you will always have fights with much lower amounts of crits and fights were you win the crit lottery. Your crit rating just shows you how many crit hits you should get(in percent) from an infinite sample size of attacks. But it cant gearantee XX,XX% crits per fight.

While its unlikely, there is a small chance to get 0 crits in a single fight, aswell as getting 100% crits in the next pull of the same encounter. And theres nothing you or the devs could do about it.

(Ok, maybe the devs could, by adding/changing some algorithms, but imho they shouldnt.)

Edited by mrphstar

Signed Simplette. I miss the option to shape my character for my style to play . But the role backwards is not the solution.

Casual Skill Trees are not per se bad but stiff. I currently like the utility section, where you can choose goodies for a certain situation.

I suggest a new section where you can choose the buffs and debuffs for your abilities. It should work like in GSF for the Rail Gun, where you have option to pick 16% crit chance or 10% base damage increasement. The section should be separated like the utility section in four parts.

What I currently also miss is a roadmap for upcoming class development. No detail number stuff, just the way ahead.

Last, but not least: Normally the SWTOR Dev-Team asks the community what they like and do not like. I want to flip that:

Dear SWTOR Dev-Team: What do you like and do not like about the current classes, class mechanics and how the community use them ?

I really appreciate any answer. ;)

• 1 month later...

The change between the classic skill trees, to the current skill tree with utilities is actually pretty logical. It kills hybrid, and allow for earlier potential of each tree.

In the old skill trees it would be impossible to give the early utilities and abilities you now get before lvl 20, or it would make extremely powerful hybrids in pvp. If it had not been made that way, the lower tier of each skill tree would be extremly slow paced, with most of the good stuff relegated to the top of the tree. You couldnt get say death field at level 10, it would be lvl 40+ till abilities appear.

The tailoring you do is made through utility, and when you think about it, this is what we used to do with the old skill trees, hybrid aside. We all took the same "must" of the spec, and chose utilities in the trees, and some at the bottom of the two other trees, we wished with our spare points. Now the 3 spec share a bunch and you take those you wish.

As for stats, as someone above stated you have a very bad understanding of them.

Alacrity, accuracy and crit never competed with the old resolve strenght aiming and cunning. They competed with each other, and the 4 core stats were a no brainer. The replacement of them with mastery simplify the mods ammount required for crafters, allows drop in operations and flashpoints to.be universal, and make it overall easier on all.

There are still the lettered.mods and enhencement variation availaible if you wish as well, altough a lot of them are not a very good idea. But if you want to stack endurance, you still can.

Game isn't perfect, but the issues you identify in your post are not the cause of the problems.

The change between the classic skill trees, to the current skill tree with utilities is actually pretty logical. It kills hybrid, and allow for earlier potential of each tree.

In the old skill trees it would be impossible to give the early utilities and abilities you now get before lvl 20, or it would make extremely powerful hybrids in pvp. If it had not been made that way, the lower tier of each skill tree would be extremly slow paced, with most of the good stuff relegated to the top of the tree. You couldnt get say death field at level 10, it would be lvl 40+ till abilities appear.

The tailoring you do is made through utility, and when you think about it, this is what we used to do with the old skill trees, hybrid aside. We all took the same "must" of the spec, and chose utilities in the trees, and some at the bottom of the two other trees, we wished with our spare points. Now the 3 spec share a bunch and you take those you wish.

As for stats, as someone above stated you have a very bad understanding of them.

Alacrity, accuracy and crit never competed with the old resolve strenght aiming and cunning. They competed with each other, and the 4 core stats were a no brainer. The replacement of them with mastery simplify the mods ammount required for crafters, allows drop in operations and flashpoints to.be universal, and make it overall easier on all.

There are still the lettered.mods and enhencement variation availaible if you wish as well, altough a lot of them are not a very good idea. But if you want to stack endurance, you still can.

Game isn't perfect, but the issues you identify in your post are not the cause of the problems.

Problem is that a lot of those utilities are simply trash to other ones. They are not even close to "separate but equal". Not by a long shot.

Problem is that a lot of those utilities are simply trash to other ones. They are not even close to "separate but equal". Not by a long shot.

Some of the old tree's skill were also often skipped, or you had to choose something you didn't want in a tree just to get higher.

Nothing new on that. You can try and take shots at it however you want, the advantages of the current skill path far outweight the downsides if we'd kept the classic trees.

Some of the old tree's skill were also often skipped, or you had to choose something you didn't want in a tree just to get higher.

Nothing new on that. You can try and take shots at it however you want, the advantages of the current skill path far outweight the downsides if we'd kept the classic trees.

Except I liked the old tree. Hybrids were fun.

Except I liked the old tree. Hybrids were fun.

That is true, but BW did not like it.

I thought about another way to fix DD-Specs. Currently damage is balanced 1. Dot before Burst and 2. Meele before Range. The result is, that currently a lot of people play meele classes.

I suggests to change that into for 1. Meele: Burst before Dot and 2. Range: Dot before Burst. To keep everything in line Meele-Burst and Range-Dot focus strong on single-target while Meele-Dot and Range-Burst have better AOE capabilities. That means Range-Dot can no longer easy spread their damage on multiple targets, but would be there for DPS equal to Meele-Burst.